Baby crib

Gixxerjoe04

22 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

So, I figured 20 hours of wait between gluing the dominos in and recutting would be fine, well I was wrong.  Damn stuff gummed up my bit.  Any suggestions on something I could soak the bit in to get the crap off? 

Just use the pitch and resin remover you normally use to clean your bits and blades.

I seriously doubt any glue was still wet after 20 hours unless you just loaded a bunch of epoxy resin in there without hardener.  You might check to see if your bit is dull (as in, was it dull before, not after).

Well, I think I have some bad glue, last night I poured some tb3 in a little cup to brush it in, then said screw that and just put some in all the holes from the bottle.  I left the little cup on the table and when I got home tonight and went to work on it, the little cup of glue was just like how it was last night, had hardened or anything.  Damn stuff isn't that old, hopefully the gallon of tb3 I have is still fine. 

630E4A83-416E-4114-944B-480E9CE1DC49_zps

Got a lot of work done today on the crib, wife sat at the top of the stairs with a shotgun and made sure I didn't leave until something was glued up, being from ky that story has at least a 50:50 chance of being true.  Had to put a butterfly in a knot, had a crack that was too small for epoxy and figured that was the best way, plus like practicing them.  Had to put the butterfly off center of the knot because of the curve I was going to cut, didn't want it to get cut up. Cut all the curves, everything mortised, rounded over, and about everything is sanded to 120, some stuff 220.  Got one side glued up, didn't have enough clamps that were long enough.  Also did tapered legs for the first time today, of course it was backwards from how they're normally tapered, was gonna use my track saw to do it but figured it'd be easier to make a little jig, worked like a charm.  Now the scary part of gluing parts together, got one side together fine, will do the other side tomorrow and the longer rails.

DCE91EF3-6A7E-4E40-990F-417F820F23C7_zps

3B49F1DD-E3C2-4E46-9F8D-D5911DDDA451_zps

For the top of the rails, I used the pins on the domino to get the cuts right on the rails and legs.  On the lower rails, I marked the rails and then dry fitted the top and marked on the legs.  Worked for the first side, hopefully it worked for the rest.

6A792B03-DD06-4183-8413-FD53ED90108A_zps

0FCA3DD7-70C9-450E-AD0A-DB1AEF43B50D_zps

Still had a problem of my domino not cutting perfectly flat, said screw it and took a chisel to level it out, not sure what the deal is.  Maybe it's just doing that because I made a wife mortise referencing off the pins perhaps?

221ACC80-758F-4E12-BD7D-8E9314EE8B59_zps

• Like 1

Found a screw up, on one of the mortises on the rails, I made one too small.  Not sure how I messed up that, but I'm hoping I'll be able to use my domino and fix it.    Can't do it right now since the sides are glued up, just praying it'll work out.  Nice going from 40 pieces of wood to something that looks like a crib in a weekend.

• Like 1

First coat of finish on, talk about a pain in the butt getting in between all the slats, wish i could have sprayed or brushed it on and wiped it off, but followed the instructions since I've never used salad bowl finish before.  Of course I don't have a spray gun anyways but that seems like a great way to finish.  Lighting is pretty crappy, finished it in my basement since my shop has dust covering 96% of it at the moment.

8DC32E2A-8E24-4DBC-AD26-88392819AD59_zps

E2871018-7280-4823-A6E5-E064D08D934F_zps

3C0EB8EA-56E4-435B-BC83-75B85A14862F_zps

One last problem I foresee is not having clamps long enough to pull it together to put the dowels in.  I had bought some 60" pipe clamps thinking they'd work, but not taking into the clamp itself, they're 54" at their widest, while the crib will be like 55-57" where i need to clamp<_<

• Like 2