Closet built-in

Just Bob

40 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Measure your plywood and hardware with a pair of calipers. Tiny differences from the assumed size and the actual size can add up quickly. Lots of plywood is well under the stated thickness. Ball bearing side mount drawer slides behave best if you allow between 1 1/32  to 1 1/16 between the opening and the drawer width. It is far easier to shim or bend the tabs on the case part of the slide to get a perfect fit. If you are using concealed cup type euro hinges measure in millimeters because accurate mounting of the baseplates is crucial.

I like the design you have come up with !

Yea that is one of my many "dreads" with this, and being an old imperial guy I am struggling.  The only place I am using ball bearing side mounts is on the trays, the drawers slides are wood.  I really appreciate the advise, I used a combo square to measure the ply, I never would have thought of calipers.  This is why I decided to do a journal!. Keep it coming!

Delay of game:  Sunday was supposed to be used to install a pellet stove in the house, my 2 sons showed up to help with the 375lb monster.  I was going to use the tractor to  lift the stove to the back deck, except the tractor died 3ft from the deck!.  Wasted an hour trying to fix the tractor, eventually we loaded the stove on a dolly and horsed the thing up the steps and into the house.  Spent yesterday morning fixing the tractor and the afternoon on the stove install. I am hoping that I finish the install this morning and get started on this build in the afternoon.  Hope springs eternal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started cutting plywood yesterday, and intended to have everything cut and ready for trim today.  But I now have a question.  The next sheet of ply has decided to bow, this didn't show up until now because there was another sheet laying on top. This piece was going to be cut into 4 45"x23 1//2 pieces.  The place I bought the ply has a pretty clear no return/restocking fee policy, with plywood being specifically listed in the policy.  So should I bite the bullet and buy another sheet, or take my chances and see what happens when it is cut to size?

DSC_0427.JPG 

1 minute ago, Chet K. said:

This looks like a interesting project.  I am looking forward to following.  Your Sketchup looks pretty good, it would have taken me longer to get that done then the project itself.

Exactly, took me days, but I wanted see if it was worth learning.  The jury is still out....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...