Router base with Center marker

rkrueger

I'm about to start my plywood entertainment center build and I've found that my 15 year old Ryobi plunge router is missing the depth marker,  and there is no center marker on the base. Sounds like a good excuse to purchase a new plunge router. :)

I was looking at some of the Bosch versions, but I couldn't tell if their base has a center markers or not. I have a brand new Milwaukee fixed base router that also does not have this marking. How do I go about lining up the center of the bit for a cut if I don't have this? 

I'm looking at pictures of the MRP23EVS, but I can't seem to see any center markings. If there are, I'm guessing they are on the flat edge of the base? If so, if I'm using a straight edge as a guide and I'm butting the flat edge up to guide, then that center marking isn't that useful to me in that sense, unless I got this all wrong.

Cutting scrap, measuring, and marking my own is an alternative, but I think I would prefer something a little more accurate than what I mark up. Then again, I maybe just too scared. I suppose I could do a couple test cuts to ensure its accuracy.

Edited by rkrueger
Added more thoughts

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

I have the 1617 and it has the center mark on the base.

Thats interesting, I have the 1617 also and it doesn't have a center mark on the base.  I wonder if the center line guy called in sick the day mine was assembled. :huh:

• Like 1

Just now, Chet K said:

Thats interesting, I have the 1617 also and it doesn't have a center mark on the base.  I wonder if the center line guy called in sick the day mine was assembled. :huh:

Pretty sure mine is a little arrow but, now you've got me wondering...:o

2 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

OK. I am ignorant. What is a center mark a nd what would I use it for? I have never used or seen one.

Center mark on the base of a router to show you center of the cut.  Easier to mark center of a dado and use the correct size bit than trying to lay out both sides of a dado.

4 hours ago, rkrueger said:

I'm looking at pictures of the MRP23EVS, but I can't seem to see any center markings

No it does not, but it is a very nice router.  Just checked my Dewalts, the 625 has one, but the 618 does not.  The 625 is a monster and is not great for handheld work.  I bought the Bosch last month and have used it a couple of times and so far I really like it.  I have the Festool OF 1400 and it has the center clearly marked, but in my use it is "just nice to know"  and not necessary.  For me it is more important to know the distance from the edge of the bit to the outside edge of the base plate. For the most part all of my jigs are based on that distance.   How would the knowing the center of the bit location help?  I am very curious because I use a router in almost every project.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

For the most part all of my jigs are based on that distance.   How would the knowing the center of the bit location help?  I am very curious because I use a router in almost every project.

I'm following the low profile plywood entertainment center build plans by Marc. He talks about how since the plywood is not true 3/4", figuring out the start and stop of 3/64ths or 32nds is more cumbersome than just measuring to the center line of the dado.

Interesting.  I have never used this feature and am not sure if any of my routers have it.  If this mark is on anything other than the actual center of the router (not really possible) wouldn't there need to be a mark on both sides of a line that intersect the bit position? Does anyone have a picture of what we're talking about?

I just measure from the side of the base for edge guides or lower the bit to just above the material for eye balling.  I guess I really don't free hand route as much as I thought I did.  My point is that the absence of such a mark would not surprise me nor would it make me buy a certain router if a better one did not have it. With guides or a fence you already know where the bit is going to land.  If you find a router you like and want a center mark . . . triangle file and a felt pen?  ;-).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Ah, thanks Immortan D.  Now that I see them I realize I have seen them before (was that the 60's checking in again?).  With a mark on opposing sides of the bit position I see the usefulness in some situations.

You're welcome! Yes, it's very useful. When you have a straight line to follow, makes the alignment very precise when setting up the straight edge or edge guide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, my problem with center marks is the line is 1/16-1/8" wide. Why is the OF1400's base center mark equal to a thick sharpie? They need a line like the domino's base plate. 

The side of a router is a potential wear surface and a hair thin line has a greater potential to get worn away.  Plus if you think about it a reference no wider than these are are easy to visually center on a pencil line or knife mark the average woodworker could probably get within 1/64th fairly easily.  The problem with fat reference marks is when they are on a clear cursor that completely covers the reference mark like on many saw fences, in those cases the cursor needs to be equal or thinner than the rule marks.