The Joys Of Working In The Cold

freedhardwoods

I would rather work in 20F than 100F.  

I agree. I live in Michigan and don't mind it at all if it's cold in my shop. I can always add a small space heater, which is what I did, and it does enough to keep the chill off. If it's 90 degrees outside, I don't enjoy working in the shop and don't have a way to cool it down other than fans.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Mike. said:

I would rather work in 20F than 100F.  

I can work in 20* but not very good in 100*. Hard work in heat didn't used to bother me, but something changed 3 or 4 years ago. If I don't work slower in high temps I start shaking and get dizzy.

I have worked in -20* actual temps, but I have to take warmup/thaw-out breaks for my feet.

Several years ago I had the "privilege" to work in my lumber kiln for about an hour at its finish cycle. 170*  Work 10 minutes, then cool off outside where it was only 95*

• Like 1

I'm handicapped as a son of a son of a son of a Californian and use the term "weather" differently than others :D.  I have traveled to many states and countries but, my shock and awe at weather imposing itself without so much as a by your leave must be genetically ingrained.

That being said I do enjoy a good hike in the snow in the early morning and a margarita on the boardwalk at the beach in the afternoon.  With shorts and sandals being the norm in December around here one l;earns that you can always dress for cold but, you can only undress so far in public.

• Like 2

I learned to like heat more than cold while working, and cold more than heat while playing. Working becomes miserable at times when you need to carry tools. Good cold weather clothing interferes and can get heavy. Either way, I found the strategy was to maintain a high level of hydration. Any dehydration at all kills the ability to deal with cold or heat. 

• Like 2

Lows here have been around 3-10F as of late... most nights when I go out to my garage to work it's about like this

14d3bdd2aec42c9a36e3b2a2245968e4.jpg

I just start up the propane heater and go back inside for about 45 minutes until it's up to at least 45F before doing anything.

I've also started doing finishing and glue ups in the house. Luckily I have a patient wife.

• Like 1