More Christmas presents from the shop.

Tom Cancelleri

Impressive work, Tom ! Is that the same box Marc did recently ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yes it's the same box he did recently. I had done scraps sitting around and needed an easy box that I could do in a short amount of time. Was going to do another rogowski style box, but time was a limiting factor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

you're really giving that CNC a workout Tom, nice work!

It makes things faster and easier and things like that are more appreciated than things with a lot of building. It's sad, but I need to keep learning this thing and getting my workflow with it perfect. I've got 45 signs to make by January 21st. Luckily it's just text and logos and no inlays.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

So how do you handle those thin rings on the BMW logo ? Seems like they would snap easily.  What do you glue them in place with ?

I glued them in with standard titebond. Once they were cut out on the CNC, I lightly sanded the bottom corners and since it was about 1/8" thick I slowly tapped it into place and worked my way around the circle, much like I do with guitar sound hole rings.

• Like 2

Tom what software did you use?  Was it Easel?  You're BMW logo inspired me to try one on my CNC but the only way to get the sharp corners is with "a v-bit inlay method" which is a little funky in design and execution.

For the inlays I used Easel. The inlay generator makes it incredibly simple. For other items I use fusion 360. Mostly svg files that I tweak with Photoshop, illustrator, and inkscape.

I did all my cuts for the BMW logo using a 1/32" upcut spiral bit. I have bits from 1/4" all the way down to .020". The Honda logo I did with a 1/8" upcut spiral. Cut times were fairly long for the BMW one due to the bit size.

• Like 1