Need a new coffee machine

Llama

As some of you know we are building a new house. With the new house will come some much needed upgrades in key areas. One such area is the coffee maker. When I say coffee, I mean espresso blah blah blah...

Options so far-

Saeco Xelsis EVO

Jura IMPRESSA Z9

I have also considered a built in unit, and that would be fine. 

Open to other suggestions. 

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Jura all the way. I've had mine for years. Still works perfectly after thousands of coffees and has never been in for repair.

Saeco is junk since Phillips bought it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

So jura == festool, and saeco == craftsman (currently, not the old stuff).

• Like 1

I went to Vegas last year for an annual conference, only to find that they no longer put coffee makers in the rooms. That means going downstairs and buying a cup of their expensive crap, before taking one of my own! Going back in three weeks and my carryon will be, you guessed it! Filter it thru an old sock if you have too!

• Like 2

Fully auto, eh? As Woody Allen said in the movie Sleeper, I don't trust any moving parts that aren't my own.

Check out Home Barista and  CoffeeGeek for other discussions and user reviews of semi-auto and full auto systems. Decent places to buy include Seattle Coffee Gear, Chris' Coffee, and Whole Latte Love.

I'd love to afford a double-boiler setup like a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B and make god shots every time. However my wife and I get fantastic coffee with a decent grinder, a press pot, and some locally-roasted beans that are the bomb. (Zoka Coffee's Tatoosh, for any locals looking for great coffee.) We don't need anything fancier and make much better drinks than you can get in most local joints.

• Like 1

I use a Technivorm Moccamaster for drip coffee and a ROK press for espresso.  Beans, water temp and grind are really important.  I use Breville burr grinder.  the ROK press does an okay job, especially for the $100 or whatever I paid for it.   3rd wave boutique  places are a dime a dozen around me, so I'd rather pay $2 and let some hipster with a man bun pull the perfect espresso for me. 

Look for "natural" or "unwashed" beans.  That simply means the fruit is allowed to dry and ferment on the bean for a little while before the bean is roasted.  You get a much more flavorful and citrusy espresso that way, which is what I prefer.  I prefer medium roast beans for espresso.   While the macro coffee guys like starbucks will have you believe you need a special bean or roast for espresso, that simply isn't true.  

https://www.metropoliscoffee.com/shop/coffee-1/single-origin-5/ethiopia-sasaba-natural--744

13 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I also don't take the time to draw fairies and roses and hearts in my cappucino froth. How dare me. :-)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

No you draw maloof rockers and low back chairs in your froth.

I think I will get a crappy cup of coffee at the rink tonight, and won't be any wiser or care.

• Like 2