Need a new coffee machine

Llama

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

This is exactly why I roast my own beans at home. 99% of beans on the market are charred to crap and are rancid.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This is true.  Keep in mind 90% of people add milk and/or sugar to their coffee, so they won't know a good bean from a bad one and over-roasting allows some coffee flavor to come through.  

Over-roasting allows the bean manufacturers to include rancid and crappy beans in their mix.  

If you drink straight espresso, there is nowhere to hide and the bean better be good.  

36 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I'm assuming if you are that hardcore that you roast your own beans? I roast my own beans but do not have the time or energy to dedicate to learning to make the perfect espresso. Take the same bean and make an espresso in my machine and make one manually and I'd be surprised if you could tell much of a difference or any difference at all. I also don't take the time to draw fairies and roses and hearts in my cappucino froth. How dare me. :-)

I'm the other way around, I'd rather spend time fiddling with my little DeLonghi espresso machine than roasting my own beans.

We've all got our opinions here. You mill your own coffee from trees, and I prefer to buy mine kiln-dried from Alaska (I mostly drink Raven's Brew). I make my coffee with a Table Saw, you may prefer a Makino F3 CNC. ;).

Continuing this little allegory. I think the Chemex is a Bridge City Tool Works plane, beautiful, maybe 5% better than anything else, wheras the $3 plastic drip cone is your old Stanley or Woodriver handplane.

Keurig is Ikea.

16 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

What do you use to roast the beans in?

If you're ultra-cheap, an air popcorn popper works surprisingly well. I've got a couple folks in my family who do home-roasting. Never leave it unattended though...

• Like 2

To address a few points...

2-3K for a coffee machine? Yes.

Do we really drink enough of the stuff to warrant the purchase? Yes. 

Roast my own? No... There is a fantastic place down the street from me that does a fine job.

Why the hell do we need this machine? Well, I'm sick of drinking crap. I absolutely hate stopping my day to get a coffee from a place... I work from home, so this would mean I'd have to go and come back. Plus the wife likes them, so it's really a no brainer.

The automatic machines do a hell of a job making drinks. Not just espresso, but all the other variations too. This includes shots of milk/froth...

I've played with the Jura, and really liked it. Haven't seen the other in person. The built in units are nice, and were an immediate consideration, but we will have plenty of counter space in the new house. I'll be making a bar area, so this machine can sit there.

• Like 2

Just outta curiosity Llama, I saw the cost of the Jura... can you add that to the mortgage ???  My closest coffee shop (Starbucks etc) is 75miles away... but if I calculate the $7 cost for Grande Latte (and a peice of lemon pound cake :D)... and add the gas....   well.... then there's the travel time... so I guess THAT argument sucks... um.... Soooo, Mr Coffee is not an option?    

I REALLY AM watching this thread with GREAT interest :) ....Keurig sucks!!!  I've been getting my beans from a small roaster in Billings Montana...  they match my taste pretty well !!!

1 hour ago, Idaho Andy said:

Just outta curiosity Llama

The mortgage is enough as it is ;)

I have a pretty decent coffee maker, and the wife is using Nespresso for other drink type things. I use a french press with some really great coffee and I'm really happy with that for the most part. The Nespresso is far better than Keurig, but it's still crap.

The thing is we've wanted a better machine for a while. In this case better means less messing around, and better tasting drinks. If we were to go to the local coffee place and buy the amount of drinks we want, we'd easily spend $30 a day plus the time spent getting there, and standing in line. 2K range doesn't sound too bad really... Not to mention that my wife leaves for work around 6am, and likes to have one when she wakes up, and another on the way to work. That factored in with me working from home, leaves this to be an easy decision.

I get it though... Not many people can tell the difference between a well made drink and crap, and the price is out of reach for many. Like anything else, if someone is happy with their Mr. Coffee go ahead.

• Like 2

Understood... My son has a high priced machine.... I'm not that impressed for just a cup of joe...fancy stuff....sure... but I go through a couple pots a day ....   grindin' my own beans (after finding some decent ones) and then using a decent maker (NOT Mr Coffee LOL) seems to be the best for me...I DO have a Keurig that the wife uses for that one cup time...  hey...it heats water for hot chocolate after I ski, so it isn't all that bad:) 

I DO get the convenience of the high priced auto-machine...  Like I said....this has been a fun thread to watch, Thanks....and Congrats on the move to the west !!! 

I'm with Llama; if I could afford it I'd have the $2K-$3K machine ready to crank out an espresso. Espresso isn't just strong coffee; a well-made espresso really is a completely different experience than the standard cuppa. I had a god shot at a small cafe in Paris and it blew my mind: rich, sensual. smooth, explosion of flavors without any bite or bitterness. Once you have one of these, you will always be questing after a repeat.

There's a reason Europeans love their espresso; we could learn a thing or two from them. I'd love to knock off a quick shot and get back to work without acid tummy or feeling bloated.

• Like 1

Okay, how about "all Europeans love espresso except Germans, according to C Shaeffer"? :P

Espresso is a finicky beast. You can have the best grinder, a high-end espresso machine, purest filtered water from a holy shrine, and roasted beans that god would weep with joy over, and still turn out bitter, nasty crap. Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1