Chiropractors

bleedinblue

15 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Yeah, I seriously doubt this. Three sisters with Hashimoto's thyroiditus totally transformed their bodies and health with diet alone. No exercise was effective without eliminating the triggers that set off their autoimmune condition. I am not in total disagreement, I just think that diet has far more to do with it than any great level of exercise. 

There are always anecdotal cases that can be quoted, but for the vast majority of people, diet and exercise combined is the key to good health.  I'm not talking about running marathons, but daily physical activity is an important component that can't be discounted. Where I live, kids aren't required to dress out for PE anymore.  They can sit in the bleachers and play with their phones if they don't want to play basketball or walk around the track.  I'm merely suggesting that activity combined with diet is commonly more effective than diet alone.

33 minutes ago, prov163 said:

There are always anecdotal cases that can be quoted, but for the vast majority of people, diet and exercise combined is the key to good health.  I'm not talking about running marathons, but daily physical activity is an important component that can't be discounted. Where I live, kids aren't required to dress out for PE anymore.  They can sit in the bleachers and play with their phones if they don't want to play basketball or walk around the track.  I'm merely suggesting that activity combined with diet is commonly more effective than diet alone.

I say this as a school teacher. They all move enough for the right diet. Exercise does not reduce fat caused by bad diet which is epidemic in proportion. 

This isn't really about chiropractic... if you've ever read up on it's creator David Palmer, I think it's pretty clear it's a sham, and at best you've got a good massage or maybe some physical therapy out of it.   But about medicine in general...   I think there is actually quite little we really know and most doctors are truly just making educated guesses.

The stuff about the magic oil on your feet reminds me of the homeopathic cures my wife is always convinced in.   I actually inherited from my grandfather an 1850 textbook on homeopathic medicine... at the time it was the leading book on the subject in america, and I read some of it just to see what their ideas were.   I ultimately donated the book to the University of Iowa's medical library, as they had a school of homeopathic medicine there in the 19th century.   It was interesting as some of the ideas in it were pretty correct, although most if it was just nonsense.

So the history of Homeopathic medicine is quite interesting.   If you look at most of their cures, it's pretty clear that they don't actually do anything.   Yet when it was first proposed in 1790s in Germany and gained strength in the 19th century, it was hailed as being so remarkably effective.  But you have to take it in context.   The leading medical practice in the 1790s and into the 19th century was bloodletting .   Yep to cure you of your fever, they'd take a few ounces of blood.   If you didn't get better, they'd take a few more ounces.   And I'm quite certain the device they used was never sterilized so you're making the patient weaker, likely giving them another infection and/or spreading other diseases.  Regardless, bloodletting was more likely to kill someone than help them.   (George Washington died as a result of this cure)

So Homeopathic medicine was praised because doing nothing was far better than bloodletting.

There's still an argument to be made today about some modern medical practices being not much different from bloodletting.... they're getting better, but they still don't know everything.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 9:19 PM, Joshua Luther said:

I'm very fortunate also, to have one who shares my spiritual beliefs as a Christian so we are able to connect on that level as well. I'm also able to call anytime I want and get in within an hour. My insurance covers chiropractic care as well otherwise I'd never be able to afford to go.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That must be what I am missing.  If anyone knows of an atheist chiro in the chicago north suburbs, let me know :) 

19 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

I say this as a school teacher. They all move enough for the right diet. Exercise does not reduce fat caused by bad diet which is epidemic in proportion. 

Yeah it is depressing to look up how few calories you burn exercising.  It may be good for you, but it sure isn't going to make you skinny if you aren't eating well. 

My grandfather went to one and he said the treatments helped.  My mother went to one.  He had a radical reduction program.  He reduced her bank account by conning her into buying a pillow for $60 about 50 years ago.

I think they have their place but I'm not running out to see one.

Kids?  My son home-schools his kids.  One gets something then it is passed to the other six in the family.  Odd but recently one granddaughter had a bug but miraculously no one else caught it.  Go figure.  I do have a problem with a pediatrician who doesn't have kids.

I have obviously lost track of this thread.

I lost the argument and the baby had her appointment.  I thought my head was going to explode when the chiro said she "instantly" reset baby's circadian rhythm by touching the back of her neck.  Then again when she rattled off four or five new essential oils to help baby sleep throughout the night and to clear up a little rash on her face (caused by drooling all the time, she's teething as usual)

I didn't even want to look at the bill.

The change in baby's sleep or the rash?  0.

• Like 1

First, I have never been to a Chiro but have had a lot of interaction with them either in deposition or in direct or cross.

The first thing you must determine is if they are a straight or modern chiro, the straight disciples (often grads of Palmer or Sherman) tend toward the snake oil and feel the alignment of the spine can cause (and cure) everything from AIDS to ED and while usually low priced work on a lifetime of appointments.  They are the "true believers" AKA kooks and I once saw one try to give his card to the jury members, the judge was NOT amused.  

The modern chiros are a different breed, much more about physiotherapy and have a more "sane" scientific approach.  These are the ones that are often on staff at D1 sports programs as well as professional sports teams and often co-exist well with the team's orthopaedist of which my FIL is one.  My FIL is a pretty conservative orthopaedic surgeon and has tempered my opinion of "modern or CAM" chiropractors.   

Again, I don't use them but I think it is important to distinguish between the straight and modern versions but either way I cringe when I see Dr in front of their name.  

Well this lady is definitely straight by your description.  I had to go to another appointment a couple days ago.  The chiropractor told my wife to rub our baby's calf on one particular leg because she commonly wakes up at 2 AM every night.  That, along with rubbing a spot on her arm between 1-3 PM every day is supposed to break her of the habit.

I'd call the chiropractor a con artist but I think she actually believes this crap.

• 1 month later...

I've Ben going to seen an osteopath for 4-6 times weekly for the past 18 months. Because I broke my back in 4 places. A friend of mine has a herniated disc in his lower back and has been seeing a chiro for 2 years. I'm in way better shape that he his is. I like to think it's because of my osteopath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk