It has begun. (Roubo No.438271)

Denette

Gonna be a very long bench.

Well, I'm going by the guild build plans! All the lumber you see is 8 feet long at the moment.

It has begun. You are now on the clock. Record is Tom with 15 days.

Don't throw out your cut offs yet. You'll be amazed at how high you will use later if you have it. And following the width to a T is totally unnecessary. If you're a bit over or under, just transfer that into the gap measurement

I probably won't be breaking any speed records - I don't have the benchcrafted goods yet and we are tight for money with our first baby on the way, so we will see when it all falls into place. I'm still going to try to get things together quickly though!

One thing to think about is that you might consider making the gap bigger than the plans. I found my parallel clamps wouldn't have fit through the gap in the plans. I added 1/8" to the gap, by taking 1/16" each slab.

I've also glued together off cuts for one of my legs. It's not like the inside faces are overly visible anyway.

Good luck!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

One thing to think about is that you might consider making the gap bigger than the plans. I found my parallel clamps wouldn't have fit through the gap in the plans. I added 1/8" to the gap, by taking 1/16" each slab.

I've also glued together off cuts for one of my legs. It's not like the inside faces are overly visible anyway.

Good luck!

Good to know I'm not breaking into uncharted territory with laminating together some scraps for legs.  Also, interesting point about the clamps!  I'll measure my widest clamps.  The good thing is that the jaw can detach, so in a pinch I could still do that and then reattach it through the slot, but, still.

I've gotten my boards all milled for the rear slab - after dinner I'm going to make sure everything is as it should be and then glue that sucker up! :o  I'm doing the slabs separately because I don't feel like I have enough space to do them at the same time - this way when the wide slab is finished I can set pieces for the narrow slab on top of it.  My current width is 11 and 3/16 inches.  Is there any logical reason why Marc's sketchup plans show it being 11 and 1/16?  That dangling sixteenth bothers me.

Good to know I'm not breaking into uncharted territory with laminating together some scraps for legs.  Also, interesting point about the clamps!  I'll measure my widest clamps.  The good thing is that the jaw can detach, so in a pinch I could still do that and then reattach it through the slot, but, still.

I've gotten my boards all milled for the rear slab - after dinner I'm going to make sure everything is as it should be and then glue that sucker up!   I'm doing the slabs separately because I don't feel like I have enough space to do them at the same time - this way when the wide slab is finished I can set pieces for the narrow slab on top of it.  My current width is 11 and 3/16 inches.  Is there any logical reason why Marc's sketchup plans show it being 11 and 1/16?  That dangling sixteenth bothers me.

The extra sixteenth is to make the gap be 1 7/8". This is because at the time, the parallel clamps were all smaller than that. My k body revos need a 1 15/16" gap, so I made my slab 11" even.

• Like 1

Gotcha. My parallel clamps are 1 and 15/16" so I will probably follow your lead on that one. It also gives me 3/16 of wiggle room to get rid of gaps.

No more progress on the bench for tonight though - I have work tomorrow and stayed up too late last night, and have that slab shelf to finish so it can be out of the way. The roubo will have to stay as pretty slabs for one more day and I'll glue tomorrow. I thought about it over dinner, and, man, if I'm planning to use biscuits for alignment, that's a lot of biscuits. More than I've got time or gumption for tonight. More tomorrow! :)

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 2:27 PM, Denette said:

Don't have the benchcrafted goods yet and we are tight for money with our first baby on the way, so we will see when it all falls into place. I'm still going to try to get things together quickly though!

I'm not sure if I said it already but I went almost a year without the bench crafted gear. Board and battons, plane stop and dogs still make the bench great

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I said it already but I went almost a year without the bench crafted gear. Board and battons, plane stop and dogs still make the bench great

Oh yeah, no doubt! It's already the best work surface in the shop and it's basically just large boards on top of sawhorses. If nothing else, my parallel clamps will be getting a lot of use until the vises are in the budget.

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Exactly what Carus linked to.  With the right placement of dog holes, I could work anywhere on the bench.And I'm pretty sure I was using wainscoting terms totally incorrectly.

Cool!  I might look into getting a holdfast before too long then.  We will see how the prices level out.

Tonight's work was a little progress, a little setback.  I have got the blank for the end cap laminated and clamped and gluing together.  I went ahead and made it 2 feet long so that if I screw it up or have wicked snipe I won't have anything to worry about.  I figure the scrap will make a really nice bandsaw box.  That's my fourth bandsaw box-sized chunk from this project!  That ought to stock up my Etsy shop nicely.  Here's the blank gluing up:

IMG_7146.JPG

It's oversized so it can be machined down.

Speaking of needing things oversized, my setback tonight was when I tried to mill up the dog hole strip.  I had the bright idea of using my bandsaw to resew a single 2" board for the dog hole strip as well as the 3/8" strip that goes on the outside of the dog holes.  In theory it would have been great!  Perfectly matched grain and much less waste.  I started with a nice straight board that was all milled and ready to go, and as soon as it came off the bandsaw, guess what happened?  

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

BOING!

A full one inch of movement.  and on top of that the thin strip came in at a hair under the 3/8" from the plan!  I'll be lucky if the crazy-bowed thick board can be milled square down to 3/8" thick so it can take the place of what was supposed to be the thin board.  Here's the bowed thicker board:

IMG_7150.JPG

Oh well!  If this is the worst that happens on this project then I'm doing alright!

• Like 1

Seems like you're proceeding really well so far. I started my bench at the end of September and at this rate, you'll catch up to me in a couple of weeks. If losing one piece of lumber is the worst that happens, I think you're ahead. Keep in mind that the dog strip is going to have a lot of material removed from it, and it becomes a lot more flexible after you route the dog holes. If you really wanted to I bet you could salvage it, but the safe play is probably to use a new piece.

On the tail vise, I'm assuming you're set on eventually installing the Benchcrafted hardware. If you're not, and you want something sooner (ie: cheaper), the home brewed version on my bench came in under $100 Canadian (so $80 US). Seems to work quite well, at least for the little bit I've tried using it.

• Like 1

Well darn.  I got a nice new Freud solid carbide 1/2" up spiral bit for this project and it just broke to pieces as I was routing the mortise in the end cap.  Anyone know anything about Freud's warranty policies?  It wasn't being used irregularly or anything, it just lost its tips and has magically become a bullnose bit.  :rolleyes:  Jumped toward me and everything, but both I and the project are fine.  The end cap is on, anyway!  I'll take what I can get.  

c040f2eddb26bafbcb5632b17e16af0e.jpg3cb4c848517844b5fae51111471c555a.jpg634293d93e50f2dec1a4a7082e000848.jpg

Also, I decided that it's probably in my best interest to just go ahead and use the piece that bowed yesterday.  SawDustB is right, cutting out that many dog holes is going to dramatically alter the structure of the wood.  I'm going to cut the dog holes out of the convex side so that hopefully it will bow back the opposite way and become straight again.  Worst case scenario is that it's still curved but the wood holding the dog holes in place is only 3/8" thick anyway and will bend easily enough.  

• Like 1