It has begun. (Roubo No.438271)

Denette

Well, it's been a few days since I posted but progress has been slow and steady! I made the doghole strip yesterday and got it attached tonight. I had a slight bit of trouble with laminating the thin backing strip. Uneven clamping pressure caused about a foot-long 1/16" gap on the underside, so I planed the doghole strip after laminating it to account for the differing thickness and attached it anyway. I figure that a minor gap in the middle of the bench that is glued for most of the board and is only visible from the underside isn't going to hurt anyone.

ef24ec6f3e8322e8856a5c645e0da1c4.jpg

It's gluing up at the moment. The defect in the front slab worked exactly as I'd planned for it to:

f2158b44b25b89b9cbc0657034ecddba.jpg

Out of sight and out of mind! For me this project has already taught me a lot about how to hide defects and make the most of the wood I've got to work with.

I guess the next step is the dovetails on the front strip. Eek!

So hey, does anyone know the specs on the bolts Benchcrafted sends with the tail vise?  I got the dovetails cut today but realized that I can't really make the sockets until I know for certain that they are going in the right spot.  I held off on doing the bolts to hold the end cap in place because I figured I'd just use the ones that came with the vise, but we are pretty broke at the moment.  That vise isn't coming any time super soon.  Odds are I'll have to make and sell some whatnots and thingamabobs.  Anyway, does anyone know the specs of the bolts and nuts?  I would bet I could buy some "good enough for now" bolts and use them to get the bench built, and replace them with the ones that come with the vise when it finally gets here.

Here's the progress of the evening!17021823_1329091150505470_3276067049662246439_n.jpg

I don't know exactly what the bench crafted ones are, but in the instructions on their web site they describe what size holes to drill. I used the Lee valley bench bolts on mine, which are 3/8" 5" bolts into a 3/4" cross dowel. If you watch the guild video, Marc shows installing it with regular bolts and nuts. Or you could take the easier route and go with Brendon's suggestion, then drill it out to size later when you have them in your hands.

• Like 1

Yea, do you hire out?  Takes me days to get my shop picked up!  Stay safe.

Depends on how much it pays! The days of being able to put up like that are numbered, though. Once I get my workbench done I'll be hard pressed to get both vehicles in the garage. As it is I can barely get out of the second one to go in.

Also, we are fine! The weather missed us mostly. Putting the cars in the garage is an ancient technique used by shamans to ward off the severe weather. If I ever leave the cars out when we have severe weather in the forecast, disaster will strike.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Sand Storms.  Must take the paint off the cars.

Paint, the car can live, windows were broken, interior trashed, still doable, fine dust into the intake manifold, then into the crankcase, and the cars were DOA. 

• Like 2

a768443003c4705417036d7a60d2e370.jpg

We have trimmed ends! I only had 45 minutes of shop time today so I trimmed the last end and then hand planed the underside of the front slab to be totally flat.

I was going to suggest using epoxy for the dovetail which does better job filling gaps but you're already ahead of that! Bench is looking great. 

Thanks! Im thinking I will go ahead and epoxy it after I've run the slabs through the planer for their final thicknessing.

• Like 2

Those pictures make me feel better! Hopefully after I get some finish on it it will look a little better. I'll epoxy the dovetails in place once I get the tail vise put on.

Tonight was a simple night. I passed both slabs through the planer to get them to an even thickness and bring down a few imperfections. Only had a little snipe, and it wasn't really even a problem because it was on an incremental pass. I will say that I really shouldn't have been wrangling such large boards solo. Eek. But it turned out great! The current thickness is a hair less than 1/128" shy of 4", which I would call an acceptable margin of error. Once I got the thickness taken care of, I epoxied a few defects to nip them in the bud: knots, gaps in glue joints caused by too few clamps, boards that had cracks or flakiness revealed after planing. This should safeguard the bench against a lot of potential defects way down the road.

672a8d95c63c0e66ae234749458abe95.jpg

• Like 2

I've been quiet on here the last couple of days because I've been milling and gluing up stock to make the legs. I used offcuts for 3 of the 4 legs, and the 4th leg is made strictly by the book.

The legs went together mostly from the leftovers from ripping the tabletop pieces to 4.5" wide. Here's a picture (to save myself a thousand words):

863a757f820aba283dd0451982ae0a95.jpg

Three of the four are like that, and the fourth is just two boards that were already full width glued together for thickness. This of course gives me one leg that is a good deal nicer looking and potentially stronger than the other legs.

I'm weighing my options over where I put the "good leg." It will definitely be on the front side of the bench, but the dilemma is this: if I put it on the tail vise end it will look better, but if I put it on the leg vise end it might be more structurally sound than a 4-part laminated leg. I'm not altogether convinced that the 4-part legs are weak in the first place, as they went together straight and without gaps. Thoughts?