It has begun. (Roubo No.438271)

Denette

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps I should clarify:

The changing table is really just a side table that will have 2 drawers and open shelves below. The "changing table" part will be that there is a removable top part that has a lip around it. So more or less I'm building a side table with a temporary cover.

The trim is just for the transitions between flooring in 5 doorways, and shouldn't actually be that complicated, I've just got to get the shop out of bench building mode before I can get there. I already have the wood, even. I'm just going to machine a rounded edge on the top and sort of a t-track style base, then hammer drill ½" holes for dowels in the foundation & screw the trim in place.

Plus I should add that, as a teacher, I get the week off for Spring break, so I should be able to get done.

Should.

Thresholds/transitions are a whole nuther thing. I wouldn't trust store bought ones to fit without modification. So why not make the whole thing ?

Well, the baseboards were already there. We have a dog and a budget, so we got pergo laminate floors.

Any suggestions on whether or not I should go ahead and make the appropriate cuts on my leg vise leg before assembly? I plan on going through with it unless there's a really good reason not to.

11 hours ago, Denette said:

make trim molding for our new floors

Do the trim, and BOOM, you have a changing table.:lol:, everyone of our kids ended up getting changed on the floor.  That's where they always are anyway.  And yes we had a  "changing table".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom King said:

I need to fix my roof first.  One back corner has been under paper for over a year.  I even put another layer over it before the last big storm came through.

"When the sun shines, the roof don't leak; when it rains, I cain't fix it nohow." --Old hillbilly saying

• Like 1

I spent a good 7 hours in the shop today. I'm beat dead tired, but so content.

Today I:

1. Made and fine-tuned all the bench dogs. Most turned out well, though several are proud or shy of flush with the surface. I can always modify them or make more later if it really bothers me, I guess. But I got to use the tail vise on this step - worth every penny!!!

2. Disassembled the base from its test fit.

3. Laid out the centerpoints of all the counterbore holes on the legs, then bored dowel holes in all the legs (on a drill press with a table that is maybe 8" square, supporting all the rest of the weight of the leg with my arm)

4. Reassembled the base with clamps so I could mark through the dowel holes onto the tenons for counterboring.

5. Unclamped and disassembled the bench base again

6. Laid out the counterbore center points, then used my drill press to counterbore all the tenons.

7. Cut my dowel stock to length; did rough softening of the ends on the bandsaw with the table at 45° or more; put my ROS in my old vise and used it as a stationary sander to do final softening of the dowel tips. I just used ⅜" oak dowel from the hardware store because the dowel plate Marc recommends is $60 I don't have right now. Maybe in a future project, but not one that will live in the garage.

8. Assembled the bench with glue and dowels, then used a flush cut trim saw to remove excess dowel.

e6f290105af9f7dfc49a44f22b1b5406.jpgf5a6f4c190946d0cf3226185ad9a200a.jpgd9095b972d510f6966826038965d7482.jpga2e1ca7b9e5262dce7a8c35ef560dab8.jpg1627f1cd965c057e6953c98efb46f8d6.jpg

It all came together square and level as far as I can tell! The next things to do are to get the tail vise calibrated just right (it binds up a bit at the ends), clean up the tenons that go into the underside of the bench, make the sliding deadman groove, make the ledger strips and shelf, attach the top, and do any final leveling. Once I do that the project will go into hibernation until the money fairy visits with a spare $400 for a leg vise, at which time the deadman and leg chop will happen.

It's been a fun ride and my back hurts. Lol.

I'll be back at it on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

Looking good! Take advantage of the shop time while you can with your impending arrival. I was pretty happy with getting two hours yesterday, and an hour of that was working on my daughter's toy house project with her (mostly consisting of standing there watching her cover things in glue). Did you think about placement for anything with the leg vise, or are you just waiting until you have the hardware at this point?

Looking good! Take advantage of the shop time while you can with your impending arrival. I was pretty happy with getting two hours yesterday, and an hour of that was working on my daughter's toy house project with her (mostly consisting of standing there watching her cover things in glue). Did you think about placement for anything with the leg vise, or are you just waiting until you have the hardware at this point?

Oh, I know it. I'll be happy to get a couple hours in a row once our little boy comes.

I did THINK about it, but decided that with our finances so uncertain it would make more sense just to wait until I have the hardware in hand. It could be six months or six years until I can afford that thing, which is plenty of time for Benchcrafted to change their design without warning.

• Like 2