It has begun. (Roubo No.438271)

Denette

Nice legs!

Hello there!

I see you've got the same table saw as me. I've been trying to figure out whether to bump up the bench to 37" like you are to match the height. Seems tall when I propped mine up that high.

Well, it's a comfortable height to work at for me. I'm about 6' tall with my boots on, so I actually appreciate the extra height.

You could always put it on some sort of temporary rider to give it a shot and see if you like it!

Well, it's a comfortable height to work at for me. I'm about 6' tall with my boots on, so I actually appreciate the extra height.

I like it for the table saw for sure. I'm 6'1", so it's a good height for me too. I'm more concerned about how comfortable it'll be for long planing sessions. I've got no room for a jointer, so the bench and my planes will have to get me to where I van put things through the planer.

I suspect (OK, I know) I've been over thinking it.

Is anybody else going to tell him the mortises are on the wrong face or should I?

I'm reasonably sure they aren't. The leg with the mortises is turned 90° relative to the other 3. If they are on the wrong side, well, I've done dumber things.

29 minutes ago, Denette said:

I'm reasonably sure they aren't. The leg with the mortises is turned 90° relative to the other 3. If they are on the wrong side, well, I've done dumber things.

Put them on the ground as they will sit and you'll know. Too early for me to think about it without caffeine. 

• Like 1

5037205c11a2a08166b89f75e8826036.jpg

The one with the mortises is in the bottom left on this picture, and the legs are oriented just as they will be for the bench. The rails all run flush to the outside edge, right? So I should be good. Worst case scenario is that I did do them wrong - still not a huge problem since I have only drilled mortises in the one leg, and only those two you see there. Still, I'm pretty sure I got it right.

I'm sure they're right, I was totally joking with ya. 

I thought that might be the case, but it never hurts to double check. Yesterday my biggest problem was that I marked things where they shouldn't be and had to erase and restart, so I was a little concerned, joke or not!

The base is standing! I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of tenons with this project. Later tonight or tomorrow afternoon I'll get the counterbores done, as well as work on boring all the important holes in the legs prior to assembly. I looked at BC's directions for the leg vise (which I can't buy just yet), and the instructions say both that you should not make any cuts until you have the hardware and that you should make all the cuts before assembly. That's dumb. I'm making the cuts unless someone can give me a good reason why not to.

Also, the tail vise has been ordered!

I've told my wife that I would finish the bench, make trim molding for our new floors, and build a changing table all before our firstborn arrives.

T minus 3 months until the baby gets here...

ad845debb5691df65fdbbb3dce34973c.jpg

The length of time of need for a changing table will pass before you can blink.  Absolutely no one will bother to look at the changing table.  I know it may seem of great importance right now, but everything will change soon enough.

I make all sorts of molding, but shoe molding for a new floor is not on the list.