Air Compressor Recommendations

sjm1580

I currently have a small Kobalt air compressor, and while it functions, it is loud and about on its last leg.

I was thinking of purchasing this Makita model.  

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPK/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1488399825&sr=1-2&keywords=makita+air+compressor

This unit would be for home shop use, nail guns and the like, no air sanders, and maybe down the road, spraying on a limited basis.  

Thanks again for the help!

Steve

If portability isn't a factor, how about a larger stationary compressor? When I was in your shoes I ended up with a 60 gal, 3 HP Husky from HD. Not great quality, but fine for the low usage. Doesn't take up much more floor space than the Makita but is a little taller :) 

I paid less than $500 CDN on sale. As a side benefit, it's big enough for blowing out my sprinkler lines in the fall.

I am really trying to be as space efficient as possible and also without loosing the ability to transport the thing once in a while to maintain a tractor away from my house. 

I live in SW Florida, so while we do have a sprinkler system, unless things change drastically, probably won't have to blow out the system!  

I could ultimately see using it for spraying lacquer down the road though.

Thanks for the help.

16 minutes ago, mat60 said:

While a small compressor is fine for a brad nailer or to air up a tire I dont think you will be happy  spraying anything with it.

Does your comment apply to this compressor or small ones in general?

Would the specifications for this one seem adequate for the occasional spraying?

The reviews are pretty impressive with folks stating they run two framing nailers simultaneously, all day long and have no problems. I understand spaying is a different animal, but curious for home shop occasional spraying use, would this unit cut it?

Horsepower 2.5
Pump Oil-lubricated
Tank 4.2 "Twin Stacked" gal.
Performance 90 PSI: 4.2 cfm
40 PSI: 4.8 cfm
Maximum
Pressure
0 - 130 PSI

1 minute ago, C Shaffer said:

Cubic feet of recovery. The 4 range is limiting for long bursts. 

I guess I am looking at this compressor purchase like a boat purchase.  All boats are compromises. To short, to long, to much draft, nice bathroom (head), no head, etc. 

I would like to get a big, quiet compressor, but then my wife would then have to park her car outside (that ain't happening).  I need a small compressor in my small shop, and may use it once in a great while for spraying.  In that context would this Makita cut the mustard? Or what would someone recommend that would, with my limitations if it exists?

And I should point out I would limit it to spraying small pieces of furniture.

i have that compressor. first let me say - i didn't pay for it. which may color my perception a bit. it was an "employee appreciation gift" for 25 years service. i was given a bunch of gifts to choose from and chose this. back to the makita - i like it, it is not much larger footprint wise as a pancake model, and it is extremely quiet. i had a c-man oil filled model and the makita is much quieter than that. it does all i need but i don't spray. so take that into account. as far as portable - it weighs 80 lbs., i can move it around easy enough. don't know if i would want to throw it in the SUV on a constant basis. i have had pancake models, and the c-man i mentioned earlier, the makita is waaaay better than those. i would not hesitate to buy one, as long as you understand the spraying limitations. (tank size)

IMG_1178 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mat60 said:

@sjm1580...That is a nice compressor.  When you do some spraying you may need to wait for it to recover.  I just wanted to give you a heads up on that.     Im lucky to have room for a pancake and large compressor.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, ghost said:

i have that compressor. first let me say - i didn't pay for it. which may color my perception a bit. it was an "employee appreciation gift" for 25 years service. i was given a bunch of gifts to choose from and chose this. back to the makita - i like it, it is not much larger footprint wise as a pancake model, and it is extremely quiet. i had a c-man oil filled model and the makita is much quieter than that. it does all i need but i don't spray. so take that into account. as far as portable - it weighs 80 lbs., i can move it around easy enough. don't know if i would want to throw it in the SUV on a constant basis. i have had pancake models, and the c-man i mentioned earlier, the makita is waaaay better than those. i would not hesitate to buy one, as long as you understand the spraying limitations. (tank size)

IMG_1178 - Copy.JPG

Good information.  Thanks for the thoughts!

You can almost keep up to a nailer with a bicycle pump. Air tools & sprayers take lots of air. With an air sander, you can just take a break while the compressor catches up if needed. But for spraying you need to keep going until the job is done. Not much room for compromise there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

You can almost keep up to a nailer with a bicycle pump. Air tools & sprayers take lots of air. With an air sander, you can just take a break while the compressor catches up if needed. But for spraying you need to keep going until the job is done. Not much room for compromise there

So for spraying would you say it would work on a limited basis, or no way?  I will not be using this for any air tools (sanders, etc.) besides a limited use for spraying.

Just now, drzaius said:

I wouldn't even get set up for spraying at all unless I had compressor that could supply the air needed. 

I think I understand the results of not being able to continuously spray once starting.

So you are saying I shouldn't consider spraying with this particular air compressor?  

Go ahead and get this compressor for most of your uses and then save you pennys and down the road get an Fuji or Apollo HVLP sprayer.  They're easy to store when not in use, its like a big lunch box and short garden hose and your wife will be able to keep here parking space.  With a small compressor like that you have a big chance of ending up with a lot of condensation in your finish with out a filter.  HVLP is a great spray system.

• Like 2

I suppose if the consensus is that I will need something like the Fuji HVLP system to safely spray, even the Makita may be overkill and I should just look for a cheaper quieter compressor to run a brad and pin nailer and fill the occasional tire?

Sometimes the more I learn, the less I know!

3 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

I suppose if the consensus is that I will need something like the Fuji HVLP system to safely spray, even the Makita may be overkill and I should just look for a cheaper quieter compressor to run a brad and pin nailer and fill the occasional tire?

Sometimes the more I learn, the less I know!

LOL!

But you now have some more ways to think about it.  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjm1580 said:

So for spraying would you say it would work on a limited basis, or no way?  I will not be using this for any air tools (sanders, etc.) besides a limited use for spraying.

I have a 5hp 80gal that is under cover outside and I ran plumbing into my shop.  I have painted a couple of cars with it and thought that using it for spraying finishes would be fine.  I was wrong, for painting it is great, for finishing I have run into several problems, the biggest being moisture in the line.  I could redo my line filters, but good reliable ones are expensive.  So I am going to buy a Fuji for finishing and be done with it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have a 5hp 80gal that is under cover outside and I ran plumbing into my shop.  I have painted a couple of cars with it and thought that using it for spraying finishes would be fine.  I was wrong, for painting it is great, for finishing I have run into several problems, the biggest being moisture in the line.  I could redo my line filters, but good reliable ones are expensive.  So I am going to buy a Fuji for finishing and be done with it. 

The more input I get, the more obvious it becomes, get a smaller, quieter air compressor for everyday shop use and then get a Fuji HVLP system for the rest.  I live in a very humid location so the water separation will be of utmost importance as well.

I think I still like the Makita offering.  I could save a hundred or so dollars and go with a California Air model, they are quiet, but oil less which is a little less desirable for longevity.  

Questions remain!

Just to muddy the water even more, have you ever considered building sculpted furniture, or doing any power carving? I would suggest a larger HP, larger tank compressor system, so you can run a die grinder. Grinders are awesome for sculpting. You can get electric, but they are much more unweildy to use.

The last post and first post in harmony... A much smaller unit will drive pins but fill tires slowly. The "might spray down the road" says this; pinch pennies and save for a spray unit that does not require the compressor. You will spend less on the compressor now, allowing a higher quality dedicated purchase later. 

16 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

The last post and first post in harmony... A much smaller unit will drive pins but fill tires slowly. The "might spray down the road" says this; pinch pennies and save for a spray unit that does not require the compressor. You will spend less on the compressor now, allowing a higher quality dedicated purchase later. 

Sound advice.  Thanks!

I am pretty sure this unit fits my needs for size, quality, lower impact on the ear drums, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPK/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1488399825&sr=1-2&keywords=makita+air+compressor