First Project

It took a whole day to get to this point. The cab and base are all just dry fitted. Nothing glued or sanded yet. I cut some door stiles and then ruined them when they didn't stay flat when running them through the router. I had to remake a half dozen miscut parts.

Things are going to have to start going a lot better if this is supposed to resemble a business. :angry:

C.jpg

• Like 1

Take care. When I hear kickback I think of improperly milled lumber or a bad feed path. Be sure your parts are straight and true before feeding them through fixed path machines like a router table or a tablesaw. The tablesaw and a teeter totter piece of wood equals kickback.

The kickbacks worry me more than the mistakes.  I've been doing this for a living for 43 years, and never had a kickback.  I sight every piece before it goes through the table saw, as well as the jointer.  If it's not straight, it gets straightened, and I'm still feeling for what's going on as it goes through the saw.

The best way to slow down a job is to get in a hurry.  The only shortcut is doing every step right as you go along.

• Like 2

Woodworking always seems like a piece of cake watching it from the sidelines.  But as soon as you try it for yourself...reality sets in.  It's just like anything else...it takes time and practice to get good at it.  It happens - usually - but you gotta take your lumps.  The number of guys who fall by the wayside because they try to run before they can crawl must be countless.

• Like 1

I was putting a lot of pressure on myself because I was planning on being done with my shop 3 months ago. I have people (1 dealer & a couple shops way behind on orders) waiting for me to start building cabs.

Hopefully, 3 more days of setting up my tools will get me to a point where I can have a reasonably productive day; unlike the day described above. It may take a while to get those 3 days in. I have a busy schedule at work this week.

My first kitchen build is for a lifelong friend that has helped me on several things over the years. He pays for materials and I build them. Here is a couple pics of the cabs he is replacing. You can't get a much simpler job than this.

1.jpg

2.jpg