Grandfather clock

shaneymack

Psh.  You know better.  We've talked about the German problem.  He'll probably just grunt and show no emotion whatsoever.  "Not bad, son."  But when he gets it home he'll sit in a chair across from it and stare at it for hours, and touch it every time he walks past it for the rest of his life.  Privately sentimental people.

Very true. But as he gets older, he is softening up a bit.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Very true. But as he gets older, he is softening up a bit.

Yeah that does happen.  My grandfather was the hardest man I've ever known.  Treated his own kids like employees.  No love at all.  And stubborn.  He wouldn't stop woodworking even after he went almost completely blind...until he cut his thumb off at the table saw. LOL

But he was very gentle and sweet with the grandkids.  I still remember walking him around the block, leading him by the hand like a seeing-eye dog.

• Like 2

With My dad I always wondered if it was a german thing or was it from being through the depression and World War II.  Last thing I said to my dad before he passes a way was "I love you" his response was Uh huh.  I will alway remember that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chet K said:

With My dad I always wondered if it was a german thing or was it from being through the depression and World War II.  Last thing I said to my dad before he passes a way was "I love you" his response was Uh huh.  I will alway remember that.

That is pretty sad, Chet, not a nice last memory. But I guess if that was what you were used to, it was no surprise. My father was not in WWII, but my grandfather was. My father came here when he was 5 so he is more Canadian than German. I speak to my dad daily on the phone and whenever I tell him I love him he always responds that he loves me as well. He never heard that from his father his entire life. 

9 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I speak to my dad daily on the phone and whenever I tell him I love him he always responds that he loves me as well. He never heard that from his father his entire life. 

Yeah it probably is a generational thing, because that's the same scenario in my family.  My dad was a very warm and sensitive person but it's strange that he was, at least based on the way he was raised.  I guess his childhood gave him a good insight on how NOT to treat your children.  Sorry for the hijack, Shane...back to clock-making.

Not said at all Shane, I didn't explain that well at all.  The Uh huh was my dad's way of saying I love you too.  He was a happy man, he just didn't express it openly.

Ahhh, sorry Chet. I read it differently. Thanks for clarifying.

• 2 weeks later...
Coming along nicely ! 

It would be a lot of work to dig out that broken screw, and those doors won't get much use realistically.

Thanks, Steve. I totally agree. Not only would it be alot of work but I'd probably break something else while doing it. Just not worth it.