Grandfather clock

shaneymack

Coming along great Shane.  Looks like your covering some ground on this one lately.

We are signing for our new house on July 18th. We get the keys the 22nd at 9am. We will be painting for three days and then moving the house on the 25th and the shop on the 26th. It's going to be a really busy month. I want this project at 90% before we move. I will store it somewhere and bring it to the new place once the new shop is somewhat organised and do the final touches and finishing. Dads bday is sept 20th.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great project build, Shane! You've motivated me to get a cabinet scraper with my Father's Day coupon! I'm spending many many hours in the shop this month working on Doors & drawers for the kitchen remodel and I still feel like a slacker after seeing this.

• Like 1

Great project build, Shane! You've motivated me to get a cabinet scraper with my Father's Day coupon! I'm spending many many hours in the shop this month working on Doors & drawers for the kitchen remodel and I still feel like a slacker after seeing this.

Thanks, Mick ! I'm glad I've helped you in your decision to get a cabinet scraper they are amazing. If you can sharpen a card scraper, you can sharpen one of these. I prefer the cabinet scraper over the card scraper. Incase you are curious, the one I have is the veritas.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46266&cat=1,230,41182,68491

• Like 1

We are signing for our new house on July 18th. We get the keys the 22nd at 9am. We will be painting for three days and then moving the house on the 25th and the shop on the 26th. It's going to be a really busy month. I want this project at 90% before we move. I will store it somewhere and bring it to the new place once the new shop is somewhat organised and do the final touches and finishing. Dads bday is sept 20th.

Busy month indeed. I'm sure that you can store that clock at a neighbour or something!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Thanks, Mick ! I'm glad I've helped you in your decision to get a cabinet scraper they are amazing. If you can sharpen a card scraper, you can sharpen one of these. I prefer the cabinet scraper over the card scraper. Incase you are curious, the one I have is the veritas.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46266&cat=1,230,41182,68491

I just bought that 2 weeks ago, really looking forward to using it. 

• Like 1

Busy month indeed. I'm sure that you can store that clock at a neighbour or something!

If you are serious, I will gladly leave it at your place, almost neighbour. You can finish it up for me ! :-)

If you are serious, I will gladly leave it at your place, almost neighbour. You can finish it up for me ! :-)

I'll outsource the finishing to that esthetic place that does shellac then!

• Like 1

Boy Shane, you've got that scraper dialed in beautifully. I think it's mostly user error but I can't get those types of actual wide shavings from one.

Did you make sure you had a burr across the full width of the blade?

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Did you make sure you had a burr across the full width of the blade?

I have. The major issue I run into is having the burr either too open or closed. Hard to get right by hand without practice and i quit practicing when it just pisses me off.

K & J Magnetics ! When it has to be right ! They have magnets with a countersink for the screw, but don't overtighten the screw. Magnets are brittle and will crack from an overtightened screw.   Use the biggest magnet you can lay your hands on to pull that magnet out of the cup. Then slide the magnet sideways to get it off the big one, slowly & carefully. PM me with any questions. 

A stack of magnets might work to pull the one from the cup.

• Like 1

K & J Magnetics ! When it has to be right ! They have magnets with a countersink for the screw, but don't overtighten the screw. Magnets are brittle and will crack from an overtightened screw.   Use the biggest magnet you can lay your hands on to pull that magnet out of the cup. Then slide the magnet sideways to get it off the big one, slowly & carefully. PM me with any questions. 

A stack of magnets might work to pull the one from the cup.

Thanks Steve. I will probably PM you tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

be ill do a thread of the shop tear down and re do at the new place since this thread will be on hold.

Thanks for the update, can't wait for the final reveal.

I for one would definitely like to see the teardown, fresh start of the shop.

• Like 2