Grandfather clock

shaneymack

13 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Still not sure what you are referring to

When you post there are giant spaces between each photo and the text (and the next photo and so on).

Kev went in and deleted the empty space.

That looks great.  I am not a fan of oak at all but the QSWO in your project is making me think twice.  May have to try it one of these day.  I have never used it.  How is to work with?  Almost as good as bubinga????

It is like working with a big block of cheese compared to bubinga. I have no complaints. I sharpened my chisel after squaring up the end of every mortise. I would have done that in most woods though. If it were bubinga, I would have needed to BUY a new chisel after squaring up every mortise !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

I risked my life just to film this while routing for you guys. One handed routing with an edge guide and at one point im not even looking at what im doing

That took some balls my friend. LOL  Screw life and limb, I'd be worried about running off course and jacking up the groove.  Priorities.  But well played anyhow.

• Like 2

That took some balls my friend. LOL  Screw life and limb, I'd be worried about running off course and jacking up the groove.  Priorities.  But well played anyhow.

Hey man, you only live once. Sometimes you gotta get a lil cray cray as the kids say.

• Like 1

Looks great so far Shane.  What are you gonna do for finish?  Any interest in ammonia fuming it?

Also, as some of you know, I absolutely HATE handheld routing and do everything I can to avoid it.  Part of it is the pucker factor, but the even bigger part is what a $@%$-ing mess it makes.  Watching that video of the dust collection on the festool might have just pushed me over the edge to buy a festool router.  

So Shane, make sure you collect your check from festool for risking life and limb to get them that extra grand in revenue :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Looks great so far Shane.  What are you gonna do for finish?  Any interest in ammonia fuming it?

Thanks Brian ! I was going to try fuming this bad boy but its huge and I won't have the time. My dads bday is in September but we will be moving sometime in July so times a wastin. 

16 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Watching that video of the dust collection on the festool might have just pushed me over the edge to buy a festool router.

Do it. First time i flush trimmed some edgebanding a few years back with nothing spitting back at me I was sold. As you can see in the video its pretty much 100% dust free.

17 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

So Shane, make sure you collect your check from festool for risking life and limb to get them that extra grand in revenue :)

I think you have a good point here. I should call Festool headquarters. In my mind I see it going like this

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SimonR said:

is that mortise on an angle?

Dude, you're so annoying! How many times you going to ask me the same question ???? HAHAH 

The legs have a pretty heavy taper and the mortise follows that angle. 

DISCLAIMER:

(for those that are reading this and think im just a big A hole for speaking to my nice friend Simon this way, its a joke. He texted me a few mins ago and I told him he should post the question in the journal) 

1 minute ago, bgreenb said:

LOL shane!  Cuba's brother is a really underrated character in that movie

Yup !

I just realized I didn't answer your question regarding finish. I will probably give it a coat of dye to make it look like it was fumed cause I like the darker colour. Once you go black you never go back. 

Of course I will tell everyone it was fumed and this dye business will be our little secret. 

• Like 1

We were just talking the other day about how white oak is one of the few species that looks good with (and warrants the use of) dye.  I like the natural color of white oak under an oil-based finish...and I personally just leave it that way...but it does take color very nicely.  I do like that dark Mission look, even if it is artificial.

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

the primary diference is that fuming does color the rays (even though everyone says it "pops" the rays, it doesn't).  

Bingo.  I helped my bro in law fume a piece and I helped him dye a piece, both QSWO.  You can definitely tell the difference, but both look amazing.  The ammonia process was NASTY.  No way I'd attempt it on such a large piece as the grandfather clock.

A trained eye can tell the difference... the primary diference is that fuming does color the rays (even though everyone says it "pops" the rays, it doesn't).  Dye will absorb in the wood but leave the rays a bit whiter, so you will get more contrast with dye.  The fumed look is actually really cool and monochromatic, but not something I want to deal with).  The reason stickley used fuming was because they did not want to pop the grain.  They wanted it subtle.  Aniline dyes were already widely used in the early 1900s.  

That is good to know. Thanks !

Fun following along so far Shane. I'm suprised you haven't gotten a call from festool offering you royalties for that router video. Seems like all the tool manufacturers are looking for a tattoo'd arm and some rock-n -roll lately. One showing unsafe practice made easy is a bonus! :P

• Like 1

Nice work as always Shane, this is gonna be a great piece! A clock has always been on my "maybe someday" list.

Gotta love the 1010, such a versatile tool. I just wish it had the quick-connect base inserts like the 1400.

You should make more vids. Your builds are always fast and high quality. And im pretty sure having way too much Festool is always a real crowd pleaser, just ask Mark

• Like 1

Won't be an update for a little bit. Had to evacuate our house on Friday. Not sure American news covers anything from up here but Montreal and many other cities are in state of emergency due to flooding. I dont live on the island of Montreal but i live next to Lac St Louis and it is extremely high.

Water almost at the front steps. I have about 35 more feet of driveway and then road somewhere under that.

3159e44070d66dcf1d0aafd01bdd6a2b.jpg

598782ddfd4c7a41ca454df89fd17bec.jpg

My dad, brother and a bunch of guys from church came to help us sandbag our house friday afternoon and then we left. We are staying at some friends about 1hr 25 mins from our house. They have 4 kids as well so there is alot of action over here lol. A couple of them started throwing up today so the stomach flu might be in our near future ! Good times . We are all safe and alive so can't really complain.

• Like 1