Grandfather clock

shaneymack

Looking good and coming along despite the many pulls on you time.  I setup to get email from Brusso about specials.  This has gotten me many items during email specials like "buy one, get one" and "buy three, get four" deals throughout the years.  At their prices, it doesn't take much to save a fair piece of change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Getting started on re-milling all the material that i resawed the other night for the 9 panels. The wood went crazy wonky after i resawed.

Yeah white oak can be some pretty unpredictable material.  Finicky to dry correctly.  That panel looks awesome though.

• Like 1

Getting started on re-milling all the material that i resawed the other night for the 9 panels. The wood went crazy wonky after i resawed.

One down, eight to go......hours of fun ahead :-)

b958708794dc0a8435180c509960d2b6.jpg

This is the panel for the bottom of the case.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

If that's the bottom I can't wait to see what you picked for the door and more apparent panels! That one is quite gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking great, Shane! One of these days I'll tackle a clock. What are you going to finish it with?

Thanks, Mick. I will be using the same dye that Marc did to give it the look of being fumed. Im not sure what i will do for finish yet. I have a gallon of solvent based lacquer that needs to get used so maybe I will go with that.

Looking nice Shane.  Are the siblings still helping?

So far my little brother has helped for about 3 minutes. They will all get a chance to do something small (that they can't screw up) long enough to snap a few photos for the photo album. They better get here quick cause Inhave to have the bulk of this thing done in the next couple weeks.

Spraying is so much easier when the back is removable !  

Love the bookmatches !

I think it is a great idea having the removable panels. The upper left and right panels are removable as well so that will be helpful for spraying for sure.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Shane are you using the same internals kit that Marc used?  As soon as he announced he was building a G-clock in the Guild I fully intended to build along...but then he told us how much the mechanism was gonna cost and that was a wet blanket.  I'm not cheap but dog damn.  I didn't do any research but I always wondered what kind of alternatives are out there.  I'm also curious about what other kind of faces are available that have a different look. ("Face" is probably the wrong word but I don't know what they're called...you know what I'm talking about.)

Yours is looking great.  The bookmatched solid panels and beautiful hinges take it to another level.  This is a piece that will still be cherished in 300 years...if humans are still around by then.

• Like 1

Shane are you using the same internals kit that Marc used?  As soon as he announced he was building a G-clock in the Guild I fully intended to build along...but then he told us how much the mechanism was gonna cost and that was a wet blanket.  I'm not cheap but dog damn.  I didn't do any research but I always wondered what kind of alternatives are out there.  I'm also curious about what other kind of faces are available that have a different look. ("Face" is probably the wrong word but I don't know what they're called...you know what I'm talking about.)

Yours is looking great.  The bookmatched solid panels and beautiful hinges take it to another level.  This is a piece that will still be cherished in 300 years...if humans are still around by then.

Thanks, E i appreciate that.

Yes I bought the same kit as Marc. If you go on Klockit.com I'm sure there are a bunch of different faces available. Well im not actually sure, I assume. This build probably costs more than the Roubo. It is for my dad so I can't put a price on that. The old fart better cry when we gift him with this thing cause I ain't topping this next year ! LoL

• Like 1