Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

Then extend the chamfer upwards towards the center line, easing it into a gentle curve.  It's a little harder to see here but I have, in very little time, created a gentle curve from the edge of the board (at the 1/8" mark) to the center line.  Only shavings are made, less dust and much faster.

20170905_201208.jpg

The next step is to round the backs.  It is a very significant roundover.  Marc uses the angle grinder with the medium carving disk.  This is the first project where I've used this tool and I'm loving it.  Very easy to control and it removes a ton of wood in very little time.  However, it makes a huge mess so I only do it outside.  It looks like the weather seriously cools off on Thursday.  I might wait until then to start.  

• Like 1

My next step is to start sculpting the spindles.  I will try your method for the front curves looks like it speeds up the process.  Your goal is a lot more aggressive than mine, I would like to have mine completed by Thanksgiving.  I only get into the shop on weekends but I might take a week off to get it finished.

11 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

I have been building the rocker without a good workbench and it has been a royal pain at times trying to hold the pieces.  The roubo bench is my next project!

My first project with The Wood Whisperer was the Roubo workbench.  I was looking to build a workbench and Marc provided the plan and direction that I needed to get there.  After that, I was hooked.  Anyone who struggles with a sub-par workbench should give this project serious consideration.  It's a beast of a bench and has changed the way that I work.  The holding capabilities are vast.  Total project cost, with wood and hardware was just north of $2,000.  

I used hard maple - yes it could have been executed with less expensive wood but how many of these benches am I really going to build?  Might as well do it "right" the first time (plenty of woods will work).  I shunned using any accent woods or anything fancy.  I wanted this to be a workbench, not a piece of garage furniture as a friend of mine said it would become.  It has all kinds of nicks, dents and scratches from various projects.  I take care with it but it's a tool.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

As a side note, the Benchcrafted hardware is available through Highland Woodworking.  Depending on where you live, you may not have to pay sales tax.  Highland just had a free shipping event (not sure if it excluded Benchcrafted).  That might be a way to save some money on the hardware.  The wood in Texas is going to be somewhat expensive.  It might be cheaper if you live closer to the source in the north.  If I remember correctly, I was paying about $3.50 per board foot for hard maple.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

My first project with The Wood Whisperer was the Roubo workbench.  I was looking to build a workbench and Marc provided the plan and direction that I needed to get there.  After that, I was hooked.  Anyone who struggles with a sub-par workbench should give this project serious consideration.  It's a beast of a bench and has changed the way that I work.  The holding capabilities are vast.  Total project cost, with wood and hardware was just north of $2,000.  

I used hard maple - yes it could have been executed with less expensive wood but how many of these benches am I really going to build?  Might as well do it "right" the first time (plenty of woods will work).  I shunned using any accent woods or anything fancy.  I wanted this to be a workbench, not a piece of garage furniture as a friend of mine said it would become.  It has all kinds of nicks, dents and scratches from various projects.  I take care with it but it's a tool.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

As a side note, the Benchcrafted hardware is available through Highland Woodworking.  Depending on where you live, you may not have to pay sales tax.  Highland just had a free shipping event (not sure if it excluded Benchcrafted).  That might be a way to save some money on the hardware.  The wood in Texas is going to be somewhat expensive.  It might be cheaper if you live closer to the source in the north.  If I remember correctly, I was paying about $3.50 per board foot for hard maple.

Thanks for the advice on the roubo, I have been woodworking as a hobby for many years and could never understand the concept of spending $2000+ on a workbench.  Over the years I have progressed more and more to hand tool work and now realize a great bench is essential to quality woodworking.  It is definitely going to be my next project.  I will probably have to source the wood from an online supplier because we are somewhat limited here in N Idaho, with shipping I can get hard maple deliver to my shop for about $4.75/bf.   There is a hardwood retailer in Coeur d' Alene but their prices are rediculous and a couple of wholesalers in Spokane but they will only sell to contractors.  I might be able to get my hands on some hickory but it will most likely be a similar price.

9 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Thank you.  Can you imagine finishing the chair and a year later, looking at one of the spindles and being dissatisfied with it.  I'd be always thinking "it would have only taken an hour or two to fix that problem and make it the best that it could be".  I'd be kicking myself.

Yep, I am experiencing that now as I work on the spindles, noticed 1of the spindles was lighter in color than the rest, put some water on them and it will clearly stand out as odd when you look at the chair.  It came from a board that transitioned from sapwood to heartwood and will just not look right when it is placed with the other spindles.  If I use it I know it will always bug me when I look at the chair, so I will be building another spindle, fortunately I found a piece of waste wood from another piece (rear leg) that I will be able to get another spindle of the right color.  Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of ordering your wood online, you get what you get!

I finished all of this in one evening after work.  Don't get too excited: there's still a lot of shaping and sanding to do.  

Today, I took everything apart, sanding the spindles down to 100 grit.  I continued the roundovers to the top (3/8") tenons, again using the spokeshave.  I cut the tenons with the nifty tenon cutter.  Yes, the 3/8" tenons are much easier to cut than the 1/2" ones because there's less meat getting in the way. 

TL;DR: Don't use the rasp when a plane or a spokeshave will work.  The job is faster, cleaner and easier with the plane/spokeshave.  Don't worry, there's plenty of rasp work to do after the planing.  This is especially true with the figured maple that I'm using as it tears out readily.