Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

By placing a scrap block at the start of the cut, I prevent this router guiding mistake.  Watching me woodwork is less like an episode of  "Tommy Mack - Rough Cuts" and more like "An Idiot Abroad".  I try to set things up in a manner that makes errors as unlikely as possible.

I don't think that this mistake can be fixed.  Thankfully it's on the rear and underside of the chair.  I decided to leave it rather than remake the one affected chair seat section.

• 1 month later...

I bet that a lot of people thought that I gave up on this project.  Not so fast!  I was traveling for work for a while.  Then came down with a really nasty viral infection of my respiratory system.  I swear, I'm normally a healthy person!

I did what you're not supposed to do: I carved the seat so deeply that I ran into a domino.  Marc was right - this looks really bad.  After making another seat and doing most of the sanding, I started working on the front legs.

2017-07-07 Front Legs (4).JPG

So far it's turning out fairly well.  Making the test leg was a really big help.

• Like 1

Here's the fit in the joint on the left leg.  Using the test piece, I adjusted the depth of the dado cut and the depth of the round over router bit several times.  This is where the test piece was invaluable.

2017-07-07 Front Legs (5).JPG

With medium clamping pressure, there is absolutely no gap.

1 hour ago, SeventyFix said:

I did what you're not supposed to do: I carved the seat so deeply that I ran into a domino.  Marc was right - this looks really bad.  

Well that is some serious suck. How far up from the bottom did you lay the Domino's?

4 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I did what you're not supposed to do: I carved the seat so deeply that I ran into a domino.  

It happens :( 

I did it on one of my bar stool seats tried to fix it with a patch...yeah enough said about that. Then made another with stock I had lying around not related to the project but it was so far off match wise I went back got more lumber and the third time was a char

Great recovery! It looks amazing the Maloof joints look spot on!

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, SeventyFix said:

UPDATE - $%^$ed Up

Well, I have the front legs ready and the seat sculpted.  I made a serious error when setting the depth of the dadoes on the rear legs.  One leg is ruined.  I haven't cut the dado on the other rear leg.

Ooh man. Sorry to hear that. Let's see the Carnage. Teach us where not to screw up.

On May 20, 2017 at 5:30 AM, SeventyFix said:

I am concerned about the templates - the lines are thick and somewhat rough.  The angle on the sides of the headrest template don't match each other.  I cut each side with the same setting on the Kapex (flipping the work piece over).

Input from someone who has used these plans is greatly appreciated.

IMG_6652.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

Seventy fix, don't sweat the lines on the templates, most of the templates just get you to the rough size, then you will do a lot of fine fitting as you build the chair.  The headrest template is not even used as you need to slowly sneak up on the fit and bevel angle after you have the rear legs attached to the seat.  This is an amazing build!  Here is where I am at so far on the build.  I will definitely look at figured wood for the next one, the walnut one I am building pales in comparison to the figured maple you are using!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seventiefix, don't give up on the chair! Mistakes are going to happen, I wrecked a rear leg on the router table, had to build another and I am sure I will make some more mistakes as the build continues.  Hang in there, take break from the chair but don't give up. If you do I will buy what you have done on the chair and the rest of your figured maple!  

Matching the angles to the actual chair is more important than matching the template.  Wood movement and small previous errors make the template only get you in the ball park.  Cut your crest a little long and sneak up it to fit your chair.  If memory serves me correctly, I think Marc had to change his angle slightly to get a good fit.