Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

On 8/18/2017 at 8:09 AM, Cheeset202 said:

Seventyfix, your next piece will probably be fitting the headrest, I found it helped to clamp a piece of scrap between the rear legs to keep them from splaying apart slightly as you fit the headrest.  Marc makes it look a lot easier than it is to fit this piece, go slow taking very small cuts sneaking up on the fit.

I'm working on the headrest now and I used Cheese's idea of clamping a scrap piece between the legs to limit their motion.  I took larger cuts that I should have and went a little past the cut. 3/8" past the 9" line from the top of the leg, to be exact.

Question: Does this matter?  I don't think that it does. But can others please advise who have completed this project?

Thank you.

20170827_133738.jpg

20170827_133729.jpg

It actually looks relatively decent.

20170827_133717.jpg

• Like 1

The headrest has been cut. I used a piece of 10/4, per the plan.  My 10/4 was pretty rough, and I likely jointed and planed a little too much off of it.  I wasn't able to get the full curvature of the headrest - there is a slightly flat spot on the back of the headrest.  I don't think that it's going to be noticeable when the headrest is fully sculpted.

I went with a headrest design that looked decent to me - not a super deep sweep but not shallow either.  When I looked at my chair, I found that it looked similar to Marc's design. 

I had an issue earlier where I cut the headrest a little too much.  It ended up being 3/8" lower than the mark.  After fiddling with the fit, I squeezed the legs every so slightly together and got the whole thing to line up and fit properly, at the correct mark. As Cheeset202 pointed out, there is quite a bit of play in the rear legs - take care to handle that during your build.  The headrest is screwed in tight.  The result is below.

20170830_113751.jpg

20170830_113743.jpg

• Like 2

I'm kind of bummed about the next step because it involves completely disassembling the chair!  What!  We just put it together!  I wish that I had found Spax screws with the Torx heads on them.  I haven't had a problem (or any reason to complain) about the Phillips Spax screws.  They were the only ones that I could source locally and on Amazon.  It might be just the geek in me.

28 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

I'm kind of bummed about the next step because it involves completely disassembling the chair!  What!  We just put it together!  I wish that I had found Spax screws with the Torx heads on them.  I haven't had a problem (or any reason to complain) about the Phillips Spax screws.  They were the only ones that I could source locally and on Amazon.  It might be just the geek in me.

Don't know if you would want to switch now but for future reference there is a brand of construction screw called GRK. 

They have many styles and sizes, torx drive, auger tipped etc. also sold at HD, Lowes, and most home centers / lumber yards. 

They are great fasteners to work with.

10 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Don't know if you would want to switch now but for future reference there is a brand of construction screw called GRK. 

They have many styles and sizes, torx drive, auger tipped etc. also sold at HD, Lowes, and most home centers / lumber yards. 

They are great fasteners to work with.

...and Amazon. Just used these on some sculpted bar stools.

The chair looks really nice that wood is going to pop when finished.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

The video does not state the size of drill bit used to make the holes in the seat.  I'm assuming that it's the same size as in the headrest?

WOW NO!  I checked the next video (making the spindles).  The top of the spindle is 3/8" - where it inserts into the headrest.  The bottom of the spindle is 1/2" - where it inserts into the seat.  So the seat needs 1/2" holes.  I'm smarter than your average bear.  Not necessarily your average person - but definitely bears!

I'm working on the spindles now - this is a HUGE job!

My bandsaw tends to wander.  Maybe it's a setup issue.  I don't really enjoy messing with it. My original cuts didn't turn out that well. I lined them up and struck a line across them with a framing square.  As you can see, there were discrepancies where the shoulders should meet evenly.  The one where it is so pronounced was due to an error that I made.  I decided to bring them all into a standard size rather than lose that spindle (it has very nice grain).

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

• Like 1

I don't really like the spindles with the "X" marks on them.  They're not as figured and have an odd color.  They came from a second board (the rest came for a nicely figured board).  I'm thinking about making another spindle or two to replace them.  Technically I have 1 extra spindle.  But if I get rid of 2 of them, I'm actually 1 short.

They should look even better when sanded to a finer grit and finish is applied.  I'm going to use a method that Marc has described in the past.  I believe that he dissolves dye in shellac and applies it to the wood.  It is applied and sanded off about 4 times, each time dyeing the open grain more deeply.   

37 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

Here's everything sanded to 120 grit; a light coat of mineral spirits has been applied to bring out the grain.  I'm looking at the boards at this stage, trying to decide where they're going to go in the chair.  The "X" spindles look somewhat nicer than I earlier thought.

IMG_0674.JPG

Wow those are stunning!!!

Thanks all.  I spent tonight making 2 more spindles, bringing the total to 10.  I wasn't thrilled with the color on 2 of the first set.  I'll have more to choose from when assembling the chair.  It took all of my after work time to get 2 spindles to the point that you see them here.  The spindle video is 20 minutes long.  The current state of the spindles is at about the 5 minute mark on that video!  The spindles are a lot of work.  I've spent more time on the spindle sander making these spindles than at any other time.  I've really come to understand what a great little tool it is.  I was not previously using it to its full potential.

In the video series, Marc strikes a line 1/8" down from the front face of each spindle, down each side.  In addition, a line is drawn straight down the center of the front face.  He uses those lines as guides for rounding the front face of each spindle.  Marc proceeds to round the front face with a rasp.  Yes, that works.  But it was really wearing me out!  I switched to using a spokeshave, which I HIGHLY recommend if you have one.

20170905_195210.jpg

• Like 1