Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

Great write up and ride-a-long.  A wonderful end product after many meticulous steps.  That piece will be a treasure for generations.  Thanks for all the details on approach and methods.  Every project journal is an opportunity to learn something new or hone a method you're already using.  Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

That is awesome. You are a brave man, i'd have thought no way i want to make a rocker out of curly maple but it looks awesome.

I really appreciate the details on how you finished that. I'm going to have to try that process on some of the curly maple that i have to see how it turns out. I have probably 50 BF that i'd like to use on a few projects just never found a home for it yet.

11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That is awesome. You are a brave man, i'd have thought no way i want to make a rocker out of curly maple but it looks awesome.

I really appreciate the details on how you finished that. I'm going to have to try that process on some of the curly maple that i have to see how it turns out. I have probably 50 BF that i'd like to use on a few projects just never found a home for it yet.

I used the method described by Chris Marshall:

Chris Marshall takes a look at how to best apply a finish to a figured maple piece, like his Full-length Mirror project from the May/June 2014 issue of Woodworker's Journal.

Incredible end result. You really just made me second guess what species ill use when i get around to making one of these. The depth and wow factor of the dyed maple is incredible. Ive seen a few dozen of these chairs, and this is one of the most visually impactful sculpted rockers. I will need to explore a shop to sub out the top coat like you did. After Marc's follow up and looking at some other rockers, i was never sold on the oil approach. 

You may have mentioned it throughout the journal, but where dd you source the maple? I remember you did mail order for your morris chairs out of curly cherry, right? Mind sharing what the bill was for this chair? Anymore, it might be cheaper to do figured maple over FAS walnut.