Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

The Finishing Process

1. Sand the entire chair to 320 grit - a higher grit than I would normally use on a project.  Do this in a very well lit area to aid in seeing imperfections.  No matter how much I sanded, I still found areas that needed additional attention.  This is a "final" sanding before applying finish so make it as perfect as possible.
  2. Vacuum off any dust.  I also used a rag and compressed air to get the chair as clean as possible.
  3. Wipe down every surface with a reasonably damp rag.  Wet the rag again as needed.  This process raises the grain of the wood.  The grain is raised now to greatly limit how much it will raise during the dye process.  Allow the chair to dry completely (I brought the chair inside; it was a humid day).  Sand again, to 320 grit.  I used the old 320 grit sanding pads that I had used earlier as they were worn and not aggressive.  This gives about a 400 grit sanding.

20171021_110529.jpg

20171021_110508.jpg

4. Mix the dye with warm water.  I used Transtint #6006 Dark Mission Brown.  Apply to test pieces of scrap lumber and adjust the dilution until you achieve the color that you're looking for.  Apply the dye with a rag, trying to keep a wet edge (easier said than done).

20171021_130623.thumb.jpg.9fdc585ef76e2ef1aa7f580b6302f752.jpg

BTW, by now, if you've done this right, your workspace is a complete mess.

All accent woods are made of walnut.

The stripping pattern is clearly visible.

20171021_134245.jpg

20171021_133947.jpg

20171021_133954.jpg

Fix any small imperfections where the dye didn't penetrate into the wood.  You may notice this around the seat/leg joints where the epoxy is exposed (and obviously doesn't absorb the dye).  I use a Sharpie (black and brown) and blended the colors nicely.  You'd never be able to tell that there was a problem.  

• Like 1

Here's an example of what was previously described.  Keep the laminates from slipping and the stripping pattern will be continuous between the laminate layers.  It's just an extra detail that looks nice.  It's hard to get it perfect because some slipping is inevitable.  But limit slip as much as possible with figured wood.

20171021_134008.jpg

Let the oil dry (72 hours minimum).  The last step is to apply 3 coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer, lightly sanding in between coats.  I hire this work out to a local refinishing shop.  They have all of the professional equipment and spray booth and do this all day, every day.  They charge $75 to do the chair - at that price, it's not worth it for me to do this in my tiny garage shop.

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Great build and great journal thanks for sharing!! That window in your shop is awesome as well.

Thank you - it was an arduous build.  The home originally called for 2 smaller windows, spaced apart. I wanted more light in the garage.  So I asked to have the space between the windows filled with an even larger window.  It brings a ton of light into the garage.  Last winter, I removed and reinstalled all of the landscaping in the front of the house.  New 12V LED landscape lighting, plants (I hired a landscape architect to provide a plan), stone (4 tons) and soil (8 yards).  I completed everything myself, realizing considerable savings.  While working on this build, I stopped often to watch huge butterflies and hummingbirds feed at the flowers.  It really turned out well.

9 hours ago, bushwacked said:

my man parts just got excited .... I mean uhhhhh 

Damn that is a sexy chair!! Great job and glad I followed this! No one day I hope my chair looks 1/8th this good.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.  It's certainly not perfect but it turned out.

3 hours ago, SimonR said:

That is one good looking chair right there. Whats next now that the rocker is pretty much done?

Thank you. My garage is a mess and my tools are not well organized.  My next project is going to be to clean up and organize my workspace.  Nothing bothers me more than having a tool and needing it but not being able to find it.  I'm seriously thinking of trying to track down plans for this Trevor Hadden tool cabinet (anyone, let me know if you know where to obtain plans).

trevor-hadden-tool-cabinet-doors-open-se-f-crop.jpg

8998118 Trevor Hadden.jpg

hadden-tool-chest.jpg

I'm not sure if Fine Woodworking provides actual plans.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2010/10/28/an-a-tool-chest

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Let the oil dry (72 hours minimum).  The last step is to apply 3 coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer, lightly sanding in between coats.  I hire this work out to a local refinishing shop.  They have all of the professional equipment and spray booth and do this all day, every day.  They charge $75 to do the chair - at that price, it's not worth it for me to do this in my tiny garage shop.

Scratch that - I checked with the shop today and the charge is $125.  I'm dropping the chair off tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I will update this post later with a project wrap-up: what went right (very little), wrong (almost everything that could), what I would do differently (not too much) and what tools were required for the build.

Absolutely stunning work on the chair.  I appreciate your sharing on the rocker build as that is my next step on the chair and I will definitely use some of your techniques, grinding the center of the leg is a great idea.  I look forward to your summary of the total build and what you learned.

13 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Scratch that - I checked with the shop today and the charge is $125.  I'm dropping the chair off tomorrow.

Never done it it but given the time and expense you have into the chair that seems very reasonable to me. Can't wait t see the finished product.

13 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Thank you - it was an arduous build.  The home originally called for 2 smaller windows, spaced apart. I wanted more light in the garage.  So I asked to have the space between the windows filled with an even larger window.  It brings a ton of light into the garage.  Last winter, I removed and reinstalled all of the landscaping in the front of the house.  New 12V LED landscape lighting, plants (I hired a landscape architect to provide a plan), stone (4 tons) and soil (8 yards).  I completed everything myself, realizing considerable savings.  While working on this build, I stopped often to watch huge butterflies and hummingbirds feed at the flowers.  It really turned out well.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.  It's certainly not perfect but it turned out.

Thank you. My garage is a mess and my tools are not well organized.  My next project is going to be to clean up and organize my workspace.  Nothing bothers me more than having a tool and needing it but not being able to find it.  I'm seriously thinking of trying to track down plans for this Trevor Hadden tool cabinet (anyone, let me know if you know where to obtain plans).

trevor-hadden-tool-cabinet-doors-open-se-f-crop.jpg

8998118 Trevor Hadden.jpg

hadden-tool-chest.jpg

I'm not sure if Fine Woodworking provides actual plans.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2010/10/28/an-a-tool-chest

wow that is a great looking tool cabinet ... I hope you find the plans because I want to watch that build :) 

20 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

that's a gorgeous cabinet right there! I guess the Habs waited for you to get done with the chair to start playing better eh?

9 minutes ago, SimonR said:

that's a gorgeous cabinet right there! I guess the Habs waited for you to get done with the chair to start playing better eh?

They're coming to Dallas in mid November-ish and I've been holding off on getting tickets.  I wasn't enthusiastic with the play during the first few games that I saw!

BTW, I was there during the march to move the banners from the forum to the Molson (now Bell) Center.

• Like 1

I really appreciated your summary write-up, some of your comments surprised me and made me think about my current adventure building the rocker.  I do share your desire to take on projects that teach new skills and present many challenges, which this chair does.  Your journal was well done and your perfection to getting it perfect is second to none that I have seen so far, well maybe you and the gentleman who recently built 2 guitars! Look forward to next years build!