Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

As you can see, the headrest is not sitting down as far as it should.  I didn't want to hammer down on it too hard.  It feels like it's not going to want to drop down any further.  I'm going to remove the headrest and check the length of each spindle.  One might be somewhat too long.  I'll also check the depth of the drilled holes - make sure they're all 1.25" deep as they should be.  This should be a fairly simple adjustment.  I'm also going to easy a little more off the back of the bottom tenon.  It's pretty tight - the headrest has to be pushed up into position between the rear legs.  I was a little nervous while maneuvering it into position.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, where were we?  You guys are probably thinking that I gave up on this project.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  Videos 16-19 are pretty much just sculpting, rasping, scraping and sanding.  Boy, if you love sanding, this is THE project for you!  

The pictures are going to be a little uninspiring because the spindles have been removed.  The arms are permanently attached with epoxy and screws.  They're sculpted into the chair.  The chair is 90% sanded to 220 grit.

20170920_181905.jpg

Side shot

20170920_181914.jpg

• Like 2

Epoxy

In the video series, Marc uses West System epoxy - great quality stuff.  He uses the 105 epoxy resin combined with the 205 hardener (3 parts resin to one part hardener if you don't purchase the measuring pumps from West System or your pumps stop working after 1 project - like mine).  Marc thickens the epoxy with West System 404 High Density Adhesive Filler.  This is a great formulation for a project that uses a dark wood like walnut.  This produces a dark brown epoxy adhesive.

For a lighter project, like cherry or say, a maple sculpted rocker, I suggest a different formulation.  I use the same West System 105 resin but instead use the clear 207 hardener.  The result is a clear epoxy that doesn't stand out against lighter woods.  I have used this formulation for several projects with smashing success.  I bought a can of the 406 filler because it was all that Rockler had in stock.  I don't think that the thickener type (404 vs 406) is critical - just make sure to mix the resin and hardener thoroughly before adding and mixing in the thickener.

Epoxy squeeze out is easily cleaned up.  Have a rag and a bottle of acetone handy before the glue up.  Soak the rag in acetone (more is better).  Wipe up any squeeze out with the acetone rag.  Acetone evaporates completely without leaving a trace (it's used to dry glassware in high end chemical laboratory settings; don't ask how I know).  I have not experienced any problems with stain or finishing after this kind of clean up.  Make sure to use plenty of acetone and be thorough.  Other organic solvents will work too - check with West System.  I use acetone since it's always on hand and readily available from any big box hardware store.

Epoxy is strong, structural and has excellent gap filling properties.  It also has a long open time.  If you're working on complicated glue-ups (see the Morris chair project), the long open time is a huge help.

• Like 2

SeventyFix, you are moving ahead of me at lightning speed, I only work on mine on the weekends.  The chair is looking fantastic, like how you finished the seat carrying the pommel over the front edge.  I followed Marc's procedure pretty much to the tee.  Can't wait to see the chair with your finish on it.  Looking forward to see how you make out with the rockers, please pass on any pearls of wisdom as you work on them!  Attached a pic of my seat for comparison, about 90% done, just a few tweaks to go.  The profile edge of the sculpted bowl is a bit wavy due to an unsteady hand with the sculpting wheel.  Did you experience this and if so what did you do to get the profile straight?   I am thinking a sanding block will be my best bet.

image.jpeg

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, Cheeset202 said:

SeventyFix, you are moving ahead of me at lightning speed, I only work on mine on the weekends.  The chair is looking fantastic, like how you finished the seat carrying the pommel over the front edge.  I followed Marc's procedure pretty much to the tee.  Can't wait to see the chair with your finish on it.  Looking forward to see how you make out with the rockers, please pass on any pearls of wisdom as you work on them!  Attached a pic of my seat for comparison, about 90% done, just a few tweaks to go.  The profile edge of the sculpted bowl is a bit wavy due to an unsteady hand with the sculpting wheel.  Did you experience this and if so what did you do to get the profile straight?   I am thinking a sanding block will be my best bet.

image.jpeg

Marc mentioned this as well - getting the edge of the seat "bowl" straight.  I didn't have a problem with this aspect.  I used a goose neck scraper and a hard sanding block with some aggressive paper to bring everything in line.  It didn't take much time.  I spent more time sanding the back of the seat bowl - essentially end grain.  It took some elbow grease to get all of the deep scratches out and get it smooth.  Marc's recommendations about scraper usage are dead on.  The scrapers save a lot of time.

As far as your seat design goes - that's a personal preference.  I'm following the videos but also looking at pictures of chairs that I've found online.  I will deviate from the plan if I find design elements that I like in other chairs. 

I'm hoping to have the spindles glued in tonight.

I've made a decision to use walnut for the accent color in the rocker and the plugs.  I'll be constructing the rocker form this weekend.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, K Cooper said:

Are you going to upholster the seat and back in real leather or Naugahyde? Just kidding man! This thing is looking awesome! 

Coop - I was thinking about you during the recent flooding in Houston.  Happy to see you here. 

I did leather upholstery on my Morris chairs.  Let me clarify: I hired a local upholstery shop to perform all of the leather upholstery on my Morris chairs.  In all seriousness, leather upholstery is pretty expensive.  Looking back, I wish that I had spent a little more time and money and gone with bison hides.  I have a bison wallet and I really like the grain.  Not sure what that would have cost but it would have been awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeventyFix said:

... I spent more time sanding the back of the seat bowl - essentially end grain.  It took some elbow grease to get all of the deep scratches out and get it smooth...

Not sure what tools you have in your sanding arsenal but I found the Festool RO90 with the interface pad worked great on the seat edges of my sculpted bar stools.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Not sure what tools you have in your sanding arsenal but I found the Festool RO90 with the interface pad worked great on the seat edges of my sculpted bar stools.

I opted for the Mirka DEROS.  I believe that it has a soft pad but I haven't taken the time to track it down.  The Mirka website sure isn't as intuitive as its Festool counterpart, otherwise I would have already purchased the part.  I was surprised at how little Marc used a random orbit sander (ROS) in his finishing routine.  I used the Mirka ROS A LOT!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I did leather upholstery on my Morris chairs.

I think I remember your Morris chairs.  They were all curly cherry, right?  Those were outstanding.  The best ones I've seen out of the Guild...and there are many.

I hope I've got the right guy. LOL

10 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Marc mentioned this as well - getting the edge of the seat "bowl" straight.  I didn't have a problem with this aspect.  I used a goose neck scraper and a hard sanding block with some aggressive paper to bring everything in line.  It didn't take much time.  I spent more time sanding the back of the seat bowl - essentially end grain.  It took some elbow grease to get all of the deep scratches out and get it smooth.  Marc's recommendations about scraper usage are dead on.  The scrapers save a lot of time.

As far as your seat design goes - that's a personal preference.  I'm following the videos but also looking at pictures of chairs that I've found online.  I will deviate from the plan if I find design elements that I like in other chairs. 

I'm hoping to have the spindles glued in tonight.

I've made a decision to use walnut for the accent color in the rocker and the plugs.  I'll be constructing the rocker form this weekend.

I did spend a great deal of time scraping the end grain on the seat bowl.  I have a Festool RAS 115 but have not used it on this project yet. It is a pretty aggressive tool, I will use it some on sculpting the chair legs.  Looking forward to your rocker build, I will be gluing up the legs and working on the headrest this weekend.

I ran into a problem with the rocker build this weekend.  Two of the spindles cracked at the bottom in the seat.  The cracks aren't too major.  I attempted to repair the cracks with CA glue but that didn't work (they cracked again, at the same spot, on a subsequent dry fit). I think that I remember reading that CA glue has poor sheer resistance.  I tried to repair them again with tried and true Titebond.  I let them sit and moved on to constructing the bending form.

It's odd that the spindles cracked as I had performed a dry fit in the past without problems.  If the cracks can't be repaired, I will make new spindles.  But making new spindles will take a significant amount of time.  I have other deadlines that I need to meet before the end of the year so the rocker might be put in the back burner.  It will be a shame if the spindles cannot be repaired as the figure in the wood is very prominent.

After an 18 mile training run on Sunday morning in the Dallas heat and humidity, I wasn't feeling hugely motivated to spend the day in the shop.  I'll get back at it tonight and update this blog when I find out what's happening with the spindles.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

Thank you - I appreciate that.  I'm very happy with how they turned out.  The Morris chairs are also very comfortable. 

IMG_8914.JPG

Those are stunning, I would hate guess what that leather work cost but they sure make the chairs beautiful!  Look like they are the thrones  in your castle room!