Maple Sculpted Rocker

SeventyFix

3 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

Eric, I completely agree with everything that you're saying.  I'm already in this project for over $1,000.  I asked Horizon and they don't have a 10/4 figured board.  Perhaps I need to look further afield.

Another note about figured maple: The lumber store nearest to my home (Brazos Forest Products, Grand Prairie, TX) allows me to pick through the pile for my wood.  It appears like most contractors looking to build cabinets or high end homes in Dallas reject the figured boards.  I'm not saying that these boards are the best figure in the world but I can often pick up lightly figured boards for $3.50 per board foot.  That's here in Texas, where there are zero maple trees.  That's not bad.

I think that I'll write to the Bell Forest people and explain my plight.

I know it is a small trek away, but Alamo Hardwoods deals in big pricey (read: figured) pieces of hardwoods. Might be worth a drive down? Dakota Hardwoods should have a few places, I believe there is one in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio as well. Not sure about the figured pieces there, but maybe worth a call at least?

The curl in Maloof's chair is intense and awesome.  But I don't think it has to be that intense to look good.  Pay attention to grain flow and the orientation of the chatoyance of the figure, like Mel alluded to, and it will look great either way.  If you could source some ebony for the rocker laminates, that would put it over the top.

50 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That pic is indeed of a genuine Maloof chair.  I've always been blown away by that one...it's saved on my hard drive in my "inspiration" folder.

Agreed. I probably gargle and look at that chair once a month, for no good reason.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

It's going to be very expensive to buy a figured maple 10/4 board and use it only for the headrest and the arms.  The alternative is to laminate two pieces of 8/4 together.  What is that going to look like, considering the figure?  The quilted maple was going to cost about $220 for the headrest and another $220 for a piece that would yield both arms.  I didn't opt for this because (1) the price (holy cow) and (2) I wasn't sure what it was going to look like mixing fiddleback maple and quilted maple. 

All prices quoted in USD.

I can't tell you how yours will look, but I will tell you outright that one of my first real furniture builds was a night stand and I laminated figured Maple for the legs. I actually did attempt to match the flow as much as could and the piece, is disgusting to me to this day.  I can't see any of the small details that would have made it special. Just the crappy look of how I screwed it up. Your milage may vary but in your case, id pony up the cash for the right material in a second verse cobbeling it now.

13 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I can't tell you how yours will look, but I will tell you outright that one of my first real furniture builds was a night stand and I laminated figured Maple for the legs. I actually did attempt to match the flow as much as could and the piece, is disgusting to me to this day.  I can't see any of the small details that would have made it special. Just the crappy look of how I screwed it up. Your milage may vary but in your case, id pony up the cash for the right material in a second verse cobbeling it now.

This. I did the same thing on a cradle I build for my grandchildren. Bad grain matching. I hate myself for doing that & so do my grandkids for making them sleep in such an abomination.

• Like 1

Best practice is to ALWAYS use a single piece of wood instead of laminating whenever possible.  Sometimes you simply can't source the material you need and you just do the best you can.  I'm living that exact scenario at the moment because I didn't have access to 16/4 walnut...so I was forced to laminate two pieces of 8/4.  Life ain't perfect.  But if it's only a matter of cost and you do have access to the material you need...that to me is usually not a good enough reason.  Like Brendon said...you have to look at this piece for the rest of your life, and you don't wanna have that "one problem" jumping out at you and spoiling the whole piece every time you see it.  Especially in a piece as special as a Maloof rocker.  It's an extraordinary piece and one hell of an undertaking...cutting corners is just nowhere on the radar when it comes to a project like this.  This is a piece where you pull out all the stops and make no compromises.  IMO

• Like 1

Agree with everything you guys are saying.  Called Bell Forest - no go - nothing like that in stock 10/4 or 12/4.  I haven't seen much figured stuff at Central Hardwoods.  I bought the big 12/4 piece for my Roubo vise there.  Wood World is an option of LAST resort!

Do you know what kind of maple the rest of your stock is?  If you really just need one chunk of 10/4 lightly figured material for the crest, I might be able to help you out with that.  I'm pretty sure we have some at the yard.  It would be red maple though so if the rest of your stock is something else - like big leaf or silver - you may not want that.

Is the crest the only part that requires 10/4?

1 hour ago, SeventyFix said:

I can ask.

Do that.  I'll be at the yard on Friday...if you haven't nailed down another source by then, bump this thread or send me a PM to remind me, and I'll take a look at what we have in stock.  I know we don't have any heavily figured 10/4, but if memory serves there are a couple sticks with light to moderate figure, which sounds like what you already have.

• Like 1

The curl in Maloof's chair is intense and awesome.  But I don't think it has to be that intense to look good.  Pay attention to grain flow and the orientation of the chatoyance of the figure, like Mel alluded to, and it will look great either way.  If you could source some ebony for the rocker laminates, that would put it over the top.

They figure in that chair isn't "intense", it is siezure-inducing!

Daaaaaaaaanngggg!

Seventy...

Try these guys:  http://www.curlymaple.com/category_s/101.htm

They have several 10/4 boards with heavy figure.  I bought some boards from them for this project:

Very good service, fast shipping,  nice guys too.  And the boards I got were beautiful.  I know you're looking for fiddleback specifically, but you might find something on there you like.

Ok, so the general consensus in this group is that using a contrasting wood for the plugs and the stripping in the rocker (for lack of a better description).  I'm frightened to ask what ebony costs.  Any suggestions as to how to source this?  Can I  use wenge or even some really dark walnut?  The maple is going to be crazy light - so no matter what dark wood I put with it is going to provide a contrast.

Am I wrong?

Ebony is expensive but, is easily affordable for the plugs.  You can check Rockler or Woodcraft and get ebony pen blanks to cut the plugs from pretty cheap.  As for the strip in the rocker, Wenge would work well..

36 minutes ago, SeventyFix said:

Ok, so the general consensus in this group is that using a contrasting wood for the plugs and the stripping in the rocker (for lack of a better description).  I'm frightened to ask what ebony costs.  Any suggestions as to how to source this?  Can I  use wenge or even some really dark walnut?  The maple is going to be crazy light - so no matter what dark wood I put with it is going to provide a contrast.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong but I really think the ebony would be the most elegant choice.  It would not be cheap but so what.  It could be difficult to find in boards long enough to make the laminates out of one piece...you may end up having to scarf joint...no biggie but definitely an extra step.  In my area there is no ebony long enough to use a single piece.  A few turning blanks here and there and that's about it.

Keep in mind that whatever ebony is left over you can use for accents on future projects.  A little bit can last a long time.  I have one small chunk that started out about 3"x3"x18 that I've been whittling away on for years.  Use sparingly.

9 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Personally I don't like the racing stripe in the rocker part.  I know it is part of the plan and (I assume) authentic, but I still think it looks.... silly....  like "hey, look at me.. I am a bent lamination so suck that steam benders" 

Agree in a philosophical way.  But I do like it in the Maloof rockers when done tastefully...one strip anyway...I think multiple strips can start looking overdone real quick.  I've seen Maloof's chairs done both ways and I always preferred the single strip.

And any excuse to put ebony near curly maple is a good excuse, right @Llama?

• Like 1

It can be distracting.  I wouldn't question your decision if you chose to forego the strip.  It definitely wouldn't make it any less of a chair.  Maybe just ebony for the plugs?  That would really pop without drawing overwhelming attention.