Grilling and Smoking BBQ

MattF

Wondering if there are any grillers and smokers here. Figured I would start a thread for people to share.

Here is a 7.5lbs pork shoulder I smoked for Memorial Day. 

I did not get any pictures after I pulled, people were hungry!

image1.thumb.JPG.3cc05ed7690503e37715d2af65e5a4ce.JPGimage2.thumb.JPG.476a2feff0bfebd601020336d2e3ea5f.JPG

• Like 1

I have a stick burner and use it about once a month.  It is pretty large so  I can get quite a bit on it at once.  Pulled Pork, Real Pork Spare Ribs (not Baby Backs) Beef Brisket  and I make my own Pastrami.

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

• Like 1

Fellow smoker and griller right here. I'm by far no expert but I think I have certain things down to a science. Ribs, brisket, and chicken thighs are my go-to.

Matt that looks like a damn good smoked shoulder to me. What sort of smoker set-up do you use? Pellet, egg, or tank?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good looking ribs! I had a off-set fire box smoker years ago. Moved and couldn't take it with me. I started using an electric smoker a few years ago and love it. I think I am going to try a brisket on my Weber Kettle next. Need to play with it a couple times to get the temp control for a low and slow smoke. I have have a kettle for going on 15 years. Love it!

10 minutes ago, Chet K said:

I have a stick burner and use it about once a month.  It is pretty large so  I can get quite a bit on it at once.  Pulled Pork, Real Pork Spare Ribs (not Baby Backs) Beef Brisket  and I make my own Pastrami.

IMG_3662.jpg

Chet, Pastrami, yummmm!  Now I'm starting to understand why Kev enjoys working near you, use of a good shop and he gets fed as well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Fellow smoker and griller right here. I'm by far no expert but I think I have certain things down to a science. Ribs, brisket, and chicken thighs are my go-to.

Matt that looks like a damn good smoked shoulder to me. What sort of smoker set-up do you use? Pellet, egg, or tank?

I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker and love it. Zero tending, set the temp and forget about it. Only thing that is required is to add chips once and a while. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Very nice Matt. I looked at those for a while but finally decided on a knock off BGE. Thankfully my wife made the initial purchase and I paid for the offset smoker plate and some other accessories. It's a Chargriller Akorn made in Georgia.f2486b14c5d6b94ab5357483690deaa8.jpg

How do you like that Akorn? any pros and cons? I would love to have a BGE, but they are damn proud of em!

• Like 1

How do you like that Akorn? any pros and cons? I would love to have a BGE, but they are damn proud of em!

Honestly I love mine. For the price it does about everything I need it to do. I think I have about 275 or 300 in it total compared to the base BGE which is closer to 800 or 850 I think.

The major pros are that it's cheap (compared to a BGE), it's efficient at keeping the temp right, the circulation is good, and the amount of wood I use isn't crazy unless I'm doing a long low smoke.

The cons are that the grilling surface isn't huge, if I need to add fuel it's not the easiest to lift the grate and offset plate, and with three legged design it is somewhat top heavy when moving.

Hope this helps with a possible future purchase Matt.

IMG_3663.thumb.jpg.18804d0e4bdf687253c792991daa8a4d.jpg

IMG_3662.thumb.jpg.d3e64712181129f0d8d3a0985cccb69f.jpg

Is that a Lang?

I have been smoking for years, everything from cheese to salt. My current smoker is a Traeger, and it is the best smoker I have ever had.  I did a whole pig on it a couple of years ago.  On my bucket list is building a cold smoker for ham, salami, salmon, etc...  I  had a stick smoker for years and it was great but I got tired of trying to track down green wood. There is nothing better than smoked meat.  I grill on a Weber with mesquite charcoal,

I was going to ask, as I know TWW smokes a lot, and I've seen it mentioned a few times by you guys.

Any recommended resources on learning how to smoke meats?

Aaron Franklin's book is a great source. "Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto." Good place to start.

Meathead's book is also useful. "Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling."

The bbqbrethren group is an amazing source of info. Quite a few competitors got started reading and posting in that group.

I was going to ask, as I know TWW smokes a lot, and I've seen it mentioned a few times by you guys.

Any recommended resources on learning how to smoke meats?

Most of my experience has been from growing up cooking and baking with my family so I learned alot of the basic techniques about food prep and food chemistry that helps when it comes to flavor, doneness, and marinades/rub.

But the actual smoking has been a combo of trial and error and researching BGE recipes. The BGE recipes are better set-up for my style of smoker because the principles of komodo cooking are the same.

1 hour ago, Keggers said:

You guys are making me extremely hungry!

And they are pissing me off;)! I can do fajitas on the pit, but that's it. No secret, no science. Just drink, marinate and mop with the same beer. @MattF, do you trim the black stuff off before eating? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

And they are pissing me off;)! I can do fajitas on the pit, but that's it. No secret, no science. Just drink, marinate and mop with the same beer. @MattF, do you trim the black stuff off before eating? 

No way. That's the bark, lots of flavor!

51 minutes ago, MattF said:

No way. That's the bark, lots of flavor!

It is a real test of self restraint for me, when you are shredding the pork to NOT pick all the bark out and hide it from everyone else. :D

• Like 2