Grilling and Smoking BBQ

MattF

It is a real test of self restraint for me, when you are shredding the pork to NOT pick all the bark out and hide it from everyone else. 

There is something just plain good about a burnt ends sandwich. So I totally understand your struggle not to eat the bark from the pull.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

There is something just plain good about a burnt ends sandwich. So I totally understand your struggle not to eat the bark from the pull.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Love burnt ends. When I do ribs (baby backs) I always get the end ribs. So good. When trimming I go ahead and add them to my plate so no one grabs them. People used to ask why I wouldnt share them, and my answer is "Pit Master Privileges". I spent 8 hours preparing these ribs, I am going to get the ones I want.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That looks just delicious! Makes me want to get a smoker just to try that recipe.

And this reminds me of a guy I used to work with. One weekend he ate 16 deviled eggs at 1 sitting, with lots of beer of course. Then his wife was so inconsiderate as to not let him sleep with her that night.

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

That looks just delicious! Makes me want to get a smoker just to try that recipe.

Everyone should have a smoker if they enjoy BBQ. Its so much better when you make it yourself.

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

And this reminds me of a guy I used to work with. One weekend he ate 16 deviled eggs at 1 sitting, with lots of beer of course. Then his wife was so inconsiderate as to not let him sleep with her that night.

Eggs will do that.

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

George Foreman is is big guy at our house. Easy cleanup, no standing over a hot grill in 90+ weather, does the job. I once looked at a Big Green Egg. It had a big green price tag, much more than I would spend on a grill. JMHO.

$150 Weber Kettle will do the same thing a Green Egg will, just not as efficient.

11 minutes ago, MattF said:

$150 Weber Kettle will do the same thing a Green Egg will, just not as efficient.

I wouldn't trade my kettle for anything. I have been able to use mine to get a lot of good smoke flavor in meats. There has to be some things the egg can do that the kettle can't do but so far I've never desired anything else. I've also gotten quite fast at starting coals and get get my grill going in about 5-10 min and that saves me from having to deal with propane tanks.

I must ask why the cast iron on the grill? I go to the grill to get away from my cast iron.

52 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I wouldn't trade my kettle for anything. I have been able to use mine to get a lot of good smoke flavor in meats. There has to be some things the egg can do that the kettle can't do but so far I've never desired anything else. I've also gotten quite fast at starting coals and get get my grill going in about 5-10 min and that saves me from having to deal with propane tanks.

I am a Weber fan also. Have a 22” Kettle, 18” Jumbo Joe and a 22” Smokey Mountain. 

I have seen a lot of people bake on the Egg. I have never tried baking on the kettle, but I think the Egg would out perform here because to the thermal mass and heat retention of the ceramic. 

52 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I must ask why the cast iron on the grill? I go to the grill to get away from my cast iron.

Too hot in the house and my exhaust doesn't clear the smoke so the alarms go off. I dont really cook steaks on cast iron anymore, even though its a great way to cook them. I have been doing reverse sears on cuts that are thick enough. 

Here’s a reverse seared Tri Tip.

FC5A4CD7-F982-4623-A067-98F7105ECE45.thumb.jpeg.564d7a61ab828e586e2ad4e84022bc9f.jpeg55B8DBCF-E9BD-46AF-BB24-A403421C4338.thumb.jpeg.80049f2bfa1998437ed087af4f4e7ffc.jpeg

If you like using the Kettle, check out the Slow and Sear. Its a game changer on these grills. 

6 minutes ago, MattF said:

I have seen a lot of people bake on the Egg. I have never tried baking on the kettle, but I think the Egg would out perform here because to the thermal mass and heat retention of the ceramic. 

Too hot in the house and my exhaust doesn't clear the smoke so the alarms go off. I dont really cook steaks on cast iron anymore, even though its a great way to cook them. I have been doing reverse sears on cuts that are thick enough. 

Here’s a reverses Tri Tip.

If you like using the Kettle, check out the Slow and Sear. Its a game changer on these grills. 

I basically do this by piling the coals on one side. I'm sure that works better.  Man i'm bare bones compared to some. I like my steak with a bit of oil and bit of salt. If i add any flavor it's about 1/4 tsp a-1 on the plate for an 8 oz steak.

Reverse sear as in cook with a cooler heat and than a fast sear at the end? I believe that's the way Alton Brown recommends. Says trying to hit a piece of meat hot enough at the beginning works against keeping moisture  in and drys the outside layer. I also flip frequently probably 4-6 flips per cook. I don't know if it actually works but my theory is it stop the internal moisture from working it way out

12 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I basically do this by piling the coals on one side. I'm sure that works better.  Man i'm bare bones compared to some. I like my steak with a bit of oil and bit of salt. If i add any flavor it's about 1/4 tsp a-1 on the plate for an 8 oz steak.

Reverse sear as in cook with a cooler heat and than a fast sear at the end? I believe that's the way Alton Brown recommends. Says trying to hit a piece of meat hot enough at the beginning works against keeping moisture  in and drys the outside layer. I also flip frequently probably 4-6 flips per cook. I don't know if it actually works but my theory is it stop the internal moisture from working it way out

Heres the way I do reverse sear:

Seasoning is done to personal preference. I like my steaks simple, just salt and pepper

Set up for indirect heat with temps around 225-250

Flip when steak is around 80 internal

At 90 degress load up full chimney of coals 

Cook until internal is 10-15 degrees below desired doneness. 

Pull steak and pat dry moisture. Too much moisture, and the sear isnt as good. Once dry I brush on either some olive oil or butter.

Pull coals on and pile to get as close to the grate as possible.

Place steak directly over coals and sear 1 minute per side, twice.

Let rest and enjoy.

I also use a cold grate method for the sear. When steak is flipped, it is moved to the adjacent quadrant and grate is rotated. This removes the sear marks on the steak. Some people like them, I prefer without.

16 hours ago, chashint said:

I love cooking BBQ.  Mostly cook briskets but we do the enjoy the rest of the BBQing animals too.  My cooker is a 22" WSM.  I used to have a bunch of food pictures but I guess I deleted them off the iPad.

IMG_0571.JPG

I got a 22 WSM for Fathers Day this year and love it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MattF said:

I got a 22 WSM for Fathers Day this year and love it. 

I have had mine going on 4 years now.   I use it a lot and the family has become BBQ snobs LOL.

You have probably already found it, but if not check out the Weber Virtual Bullet, great groups of people and everything anyone would ever want to know about the WSM.

1 hour ago, chashint said:

I have had mine going on 4 years now.   I use it a lot and the family has become BBQ snobs LOL.

You have probably already found it, but if not check out the Weber Virtual Bullet, great groups of people and everything anyone would ever want to know about the WSM.

I check that site out pretty often. I use the WSM for larger cooks and my Kettle for smaller. 

I'm about to dive into the world of BBQ. All of my experience is with a gas BBQ but I'm chasing that slow cooked goodness. After a bit of research, I've come up with this model: 

3724-1.jpg?v=1513623077

It's an entry level unit but should be good for starting out. Quite a few videos and reviews are favourable. It also gives the option of charcoal grilling.  I've been researching heaps of sites but any hints and tips from you guys would be great.

Lewis, I have one real similar and really enjoy cooking on it. Mine was hand made by a welding neighbor that passed away a few years ago and willed it to me. It took me a while to learn how to keep the temp at a constant for smoking but I’ve got the dampening down now. 

• Like 1