Would this explode?

trialbyfire

While I don't think it would. I would like to pose this question to those of you that know a lot more about wood movement than I. The arrows indicate grain and you can assume each strip is 2" or 3" wide. The more I look at it the more it kinda rubs me the wrong way but it was fun figure out how to get a harringbone to go 4 directions.003210d015f8d50feccc2fdf7da60d56.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Depends on how it is fastened together. If the slats are all tongue & grooved to each other, and maybe floating in a frame like a door panel, it would probably be ok.

I'm sure some sort of support structure would be necessary to support it from below, but even then, screws from beneath, in elongated holes, could still allow for natural movement.

This brings back memories. Years and years ago, when I was a woodworker wannabe, I saw a table in a store window that looked similiar, except each layer rotated upward counterclockwise by 45*. The center was a solid piece of wood, approx. 12" square if I recall correctly. The bottom section was the same but rotated clockwise. I returned later that evening when the store was closed with a tape measure and got as close to the correct measurements as possible. I used my dad's ts to rip 1x syp into 1" strips and assembled the squares using finishing nails. When finished, I had a piece of glass cut to fit over the top section. I wish I still had that thing. 

• Like 1

With 2" strips of red oak each side could move between 1/4 to 9/16. I figured a 7 % to 14% moisture swing, rift cut or flatsawn. So a 42" wide top could move 1/2" to 1 1/8 seasonally. This might be a worst case scenario but due to the design it would move in both directions ensuring self destruction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

T&G hardwood floors are nailed. Each joint is not perfectly tight, which can absorb some expansion. There is usually an expansion gap under the baseboards. If the floor dries out and shrinks the gap is spread out between every board and thus quite tiny. 

Just because it was laid in that pattern doesn't mean it will look exactly the same in years to come.

• Like 2

I just noticed the border strip. My guess is it will buckle if there is high humidity.  But some homes these days have the HVAC system w humidity control running 24/7/365. That could stave off problems for years until the inevitable power outage during a storm or civil unrest.......