Auriou rasp

prov163

Careful with the brass brush.  I used one for a while and I never noticed any problems, but I read somewhere that, despite brass being softer than the tool steel, it can still damage the teeth on the rasp.  Lie-Nielsen used to sell a little natural-bristled brush for like five bucks and I've been using it ever since.  I looked for a link but couldn't find it.  Just be aware, do your own research.  While allegedly rasps can be sharpened using some process with some kind of acidic formula...I'm not holding my breath on that.  They're too nice and too expensive to shorten their lives unnecessarily.

• Like 1

Prov163 Congrats on the new rasp! I began using mine about a week ago on some sculpted bar stools and I am amazed how well they work. Regarding cleaning here is a link to a brush as well as some info on cleaning form Toolsforwoodworking.com. I have purchased from them many times and have always found their advise spot on.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TRR/item/MS-RBRUSH 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Prov163 Congrats on the new rasp! I began using mine about a week ago on some sculpted bar stools and I am amazed how well they work. Regarding cleaning here is a link to a brush as well as some info on cleaning form Toolsforwoodworking.com. I have purchased from them many times and have always found their advise spot on.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TRR/item/MS-RBRUSH 

That's the one I have.  Maybe I bought it from them or Craftsman Studio and not LN.  I couldn't remember...but that's the one.

Chet sent me a message about the brass brush as well and said Auriou recommends a stiff bristle toothbrush. I'll look at pkinneb's suggestion too. Don't want to damage my new rasp as I had to wait a while for stock to come in. Time to add some curved shapes to my work - intentionally :)

Does anybody know do the sellers of Auriou rasps add the handles? Curious because the ones I purchased from Toolsforwoodworking.com have different handles then the ones from Lie Nielsen. I prefer the longer handles on the LN and its really causing my OCD to flair up :o 

IMG_2039.JPG.18a30318d95b68cea64468fdbf29b806.JPG

1 hour ago, Marmotjr said:

If you have a lathe, it's nothing to turn your own.  Then you have a perfectly matched set, in exactly the lengths you want, at a fraction of the price. 

Thanks that's a great idea!! lol I can't believe I didn't think of that...another (probably dumb question) question how does one get the the handles off?

36 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks that's a great idea!! lol I can't believe I didn't think of that...another (probably dumb question) question how does one get the the handles off?

I wonder if you couldn't contact Lie Nielsen.  Let them know that you want to make a different style handle for your's and how would you go about removing the old handle.

• Like 1

I've never removed a handle before, with the intention of saving the brass ring, I usually replaced them, but then I had reason to, they were corroded and ugly.  I'd try a pair of soft grip pliers, or channel locks with padding on the teeth.  They should just be friction fit onto the ends.  They usually pinch down the opening of the handle, holding the file.  (I'm drawing a blank on the terms here). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

how does one get the the handles off?

Maybe not the "correct" way, but I would...Wrap a shop towel around the business end of the rasp. Grip the rasp in my vise with the handle pointing towards the floor. Clamp a very loosely adjusted vise grip or "channel lock" pliers just above the brass ring and tap, tap, tap. I would cover the plier jaws with a generous wrapping of duct tape so it doesn't mar the finish on the rasp. Alternatively, to bang off the handle, you could use any tool which has a U shaped opening and fits, like an open-end wrench or whatnot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thought, if it came from www.toolsforworkingwood.com, that is probably Gramercy rasps rather than Auriou.  The handle on yours looks the same as the 3 Gramercy rasps I have purchased.  Still a great rasp though!

13 minutes ago, mikem said:

One thought, if it came from www.toolsforworkingwood.com, that is probably Gramercy rasps rather than Auriou.  The handle on yours looks the same as the 3 Gramercy rasps I have purchased.  Still a great rasp though!

They actually sell both and handle them all thus the reason for the same handles.