Festool Router

Steve Edgar

From Festool I have 1400 and 2200. For 99% of my use, the 1400 is my go-to.  I actually only use the 2200 for flattening slabs using a 2.5” wide specialty flattening bit.

If I was buying again, the 1400 would definitely be my 1st purchase.

i also have a small DeWalt router that I use for small bit, etc.

The only Festool router I have is the MFK 700 trim router. It's definitely a specialty router but it's an excellent one. Definitely not a good choice as a multi use machine. The ability to micro adjust the height is in the 1/128 to 1/256th level of accuracy. Not having a view of the bit is a drawback but I've gotten used to it.

If you want one router to rule them all then the 1400 would be a good choice. I have the of1010 for smaller stuff and the of2200 for bigger stuff. The of2200 is one of my favourite tools in my shop. I much prefer the grip on the of2200. I'm not a big fan of the grip on the 1010 and the 1400.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

If you want one router to rule them all then the 1400 would be a good choice. I have the of1010 for smaller stuff and the of2200 for bigger stuff. The of2200 is one of my favourite tools in my shop. I much prefer the grip on the of2200. I'm not a big fan of the grip on the 1010 and the 1400.

Ditto, I have PC 3/4 and 1-1/2 hp for the smaller stuff, got the OF2200 for the bigger stuff.  Never used it but I didn't like the grip style on the 1400.  

The ergonomics on the 1400 seem really weird at first, but after using mine for five or six years now I've come to love it.  Now I feel weird holding a normal router by its big ears.  Often when using the 1400 I'll have one hand on the trigger handle and one hand gripping the base.

5 hours ago, jmaichel said:

Eric, you can have my $50 voucher if that helps. 

That's very generous of you James, but unfortunately it's not a big enough drop in the bucket to make a difference. LOL  I'm sure someone would be thrilled to have it though.  At the moment I'm facing Mission: Minimax.

18 hours ago, Eric. said:

That's very generous of you James, but unfortunately it's not a big enough drop in the bucket to make a difference. LOL  I'm sure someone would be thrilled to have it though.  At the moment I'm facing Mission: Minimax.

No problem Eric, I can understand that. Good luck on the Minimax. Everyone seems to be stepping up their tool game lately when it comes to the bigger machines.

I would be more than happy to give anyone that is interested my $50 voucher. The movers are coming in two weeks so you have to act fast if you are interested.

I have the Bosch 1617 and absolutely hate it. Changing between the bases was so frustrating, and there is a lot of slop in the plunge base. I don't know how this router comes recommended by so many people. I threw it in my router table and replaced it with the Festool OF 1400. HUGE difference, and worth the price.

As everyone else has already said, OF 1400 if youre only going to get one or its the first, OF 1010 for the smaller stuff and if you need to do really big stuff often the OF 2200. I have the OF 1400 and OF 1010 and so far havent felt the need for the OF 2200, but then I dont usually work on anything large.

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack I'll stop after this.

8 minutes ago, Eric. said:

The Minimax ended up being only a few hundred more than the PM1500...and it's considerably more saw for that few hundred.  It's already bought, just waiting for it to ship

NICE! I'm jealous. A couple guys in our local guild have MM16's. Nice machine. I wish I could swing the $$$ for the MM but I will prob end up with a laguna 14bx. I already have a jointer on the short list....(remember the Grizzle that I wanted to throw out of the shop?) 

My extremely patient and understanding wife is going to shut this hobby down if I buy to many 3K+ tools!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eric. said:

LOL  Next time I'm gonna just keep my mouth shut until I make a decision.  It's a slippery slope man.  That's all I can tell ya.

Honestly...I don't want to buy another bandsaw for the rest of my life.  So I had to balance what I have the space and budget for with my desire to get the best and biggest saw I could.  The Minimax ended up being only a few hundred more than the PM1500...and it's considerably more saw for that few hundred.  It's already bought, just waiting for it to ship. :)

Nice! Get a friend to help unbox and raise it. Don't try to do it alone like I did.

I own the 1400  and MFK700. I have used the 1010 though. I love the 1010, but the real problem is, no 1/2" collet; only 1/4" and 8mm. Other than that the 1010 is a great size and has a lot of power for its size.  The 700 is a specialized trim router which also is a great tool, but probably not for overall use. In general, I would agree that, if only 1 router is in your future, the OF1400 is the right choice. It does everything and, for most jobs, you would never exceed its power. It's just a great router.