Need advice on what I need to buy next

Nickhxc4life

Hello everyone. I'm new here and my wife and I just moved into a new house and I actually have my own 12x15 shop here which is a huge upgrade from my old shed where I had to pull everything out of the shed to use one tool. I know it's small but I'll be using lots of casters. I'd also like to preface my question by saying woodworking is strictly a hoppy for me at this point but would like to continue growing and learning and upgrading. Below is a list of what I currently have..what do you guys think I need to add or upgrade to have a well rounded shop. I'm not looking for top of the line equipment but I am looking for mid range tools that get the job done and last.

Shopsmith Mark IV (No extra add ons just the basic saw, drill press, lathe, and bandsaw setup)

Rigid fuego jigsaw

Kobalt 15amp table saw (the contractor one with the folding base)

Craftsman  10" SINGLE BEVEL SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW (21237)

Skil fix based router

Blue hawk adjustable router table and router (It works)

Incra V27 miter gauge

Craftsman circular saw

Various cordless drills and impact drivers

Kreg pocket hold jig

Bosh 5" random orbital adjustable speed sander

Rigid 12gal shop vac

I have plenty of forestner, wood and metal bits.

Wood river 5 piece chisel set

All my blades are freud (have various blades)

Shop made assembly table/workbench

Shop made corsscut sled

Thanks for any advice. 

All depends on the type of things you want to make. Most of the active members here are focussed on building furniture. Using quality hardwood means it is most efficient (generally) to purchase rough sawn lumber and mill it to size yourself. Hence the numerous recommendations for jointers and planers. If you prefer to make smaller items, and can manage them using pre-surfaced lumber, then you might be fine without those tools. Personally, I wouldn't be without my tablesaw, but some folks do fine with only a bandsaw.

Maybe you can share some projects on your bucket list, then we can help you pick any tools that might be necessary.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I'm still getting my feet wet and haven't taken the plunge to start working with more expensive woods. Also the only place right around me I can get rough-sawn stuff is Woodcraft and their prices are a bit high and the slection isn't all that great. There are a few mills about 45 min. from me that I may stop in to sometime to grab some stock. I've mostly been working with poplar as it's easy to find and cheap and I don't have to prep it. As for upcoming projects I'm planning to make 2 bedside tables for my wife and I, some cubbies for our mudroom, and possibly some outdoor chairs for our screened porch. Krtwood I agree with you about the upgrading and I tend to follow the "If it ain't broke don't fix it approach" with tools. I guess I was asking if anyone saw a glaring "weak link" in my current setup that would definitely need to go before moving on to more advanced and finer woodworking. 

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

The one that you need

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

All depends on the type of things you want to make

35 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I would pick a project and start making it the tool you need next will become evident

All good advice.  This is really were your thinking should be.  There is no better way to purchase a tool.

Welcome to the forums.

Don't buy rough wood from Woodcraft.  In fact, don't buy wood from Woodcraft unless it is small and you HAVE to have it.  There are certainly other suppliers in your area that you are just not aware of.

That will lead you to needing a jointer and planer, two of the big five woodshop tools...the other three are the table saw, band saw and router table.

Of your existing tools the biggest weak link I see is the Kobalt table saw.  Any table saw with folding legs is a job site tool and you will love a real table saw when the time comes.  I wouldn't upgrade the table saw until you have the jointer and planer though.  Those two tools will revolutionize the way you work wood.

• Like 2

I'm actually fairly happy with the Kobalt for the price and the fact that I can fold it up and stash it when I need to use other tools (since my shop is small).. while I've never used a nice powermatic or sawstop I've figured out a way to get consistently good results with it. It takes a bit more time to setup for rip cuts as the fence doesn't always align square but with my incra miter gauge and shop built crosscut sled I've had no issues but I also tend to use my craftsman sliding miter saw for crosscuts. large sheet goods are a problem but I usually rip those down with a circular saw guide anyway. i still need to make a zero clearance insert for both ripping blade and dado stack. I've got various clamps from cheapo harbor freight to nice bessey clamps. I also have a hand plane  but it's just a generic one that is only 3" long that I use to square things up occasionally. I would like to find a decent priced shoulder plane as I plan to work with mortise and tenon joints a fair bit in the near future and Marc has an awesome video on it's various uses. If anyone around Richmond Virginia needs a spare hand I would love to help out and learn from someone who works with wood professionally.