Coffee Table with some metal

bushwacked

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I have been using Devcon 2 ton epoxy for years. Comes in 2 little bottles that total 8.5 oz and sets in 30 minutes. It has a slight yellowish color but still relatively clear. I always have some in the shop.. Affordable and available at the hardware store. 

So will devcon work for what I need? I like the $5 price tag over the $100ish on west systems. 

I still plan on dying it black. 

The benefit with west systems is the higher quality and lower cost long term. Buying in gallon form it applies out at like $1 per ounce where the devcon stuff is closer to $2 per ounce. I'm sure the devcon will work perfectly. Give that a shot and if you see yourself epoxying a lot in the future save for the west system or similar set. With the west system pumps it's really easy to use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minorhero said:

If you don't want to go down the west system rabbit hole right now you can just buy quick cure epoxy at home Depot. Is cheaper and works fine. I use it all the time for filling knots. I always tint mine black. I like the look.

Also you can get rid of bubbles in epoxy by using a heat gun and playing it over the just poured epoxy.

If you have never filled a large void with epoxy before than do a test piece first. You may be surprised by the number of bubbles and speed of cure etc.

I've used the devcon 30-minute epoxy (with and without dye) with good results... also the System Three 30 minute epoxy from Woodcraft. I usually only need small amounts here and there for a project so I don't buy large quantities of it--I don't even know if resin/hardener is something that goes bad over time but I don't want to waste large quantities of the stuff.

1 minute ago, MisterDrow said:

I've used the devcon 30-minute epoxy with good results... also the System Three 30 minute epoxy from Woodcraft. I usually only need small amounts here and there for a project so I don't buy large quantities of it--I don't even know if resin/hardener is something that goes bad over time but I don't want to waste large quantities of the stuff.

West system doesn't quote having a shelf life unmixed. Marc i think has had his sitting around for a long time. Personally mine is 4 years and works the same as it did day 1.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

West system doesn't quote having a shelf life unmixed. Marc i think has had his sitting around for a long time. Personally mine is 4 years and works the same as it did day 1.

Good to know... if that's the case, I may pick some up. I'm sure I'll find uses for it often if it's readily available in my shop. 

Hmmmm interesting to know there could be a 4 year shelf life. How hot does it get in the summer or cold in the winter? 

65D5195F-C92F-4D3A-90FB-EAE094528324.thumb.jpeg.6c453e198a1571e13f4b476beff49be7.jpeg

i picked up 3 packs of the devcon epoxy just to get through this project and see how it does.

also grabbed some transtint black too to mix with it. Should get this all applied tonight and let it sit until tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 1

Got some work done but sadly severely underestimated my knots volume lol. 

0CE14406-C772-457F-BD4F-6C030A419FCF.thumb.jpeg.8c48d11774f48dc28ff35fd0f073fef8.jpeg

got the wood wood prepped and cleaned out the loose knots. 

1B57D3AB-4E63-4035-AD8B-B4C7E4935390.thumb.jpeg.7c73ecd0ed6d45336db1abc56a2f0a15.jpeg

filled 3 holes almost all the way and each hole took 1 bottle of epoxy. Craaaazy!! Should have just bought the west systems lol. Then I would of had plenty to finish tonight. 

Will a west systems quart package be good enough? I can get it for $69 shipped. Or I can go to rockler and pick up like the gallon 105 and quart 205 but it’s about 90ish I think it was. 

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

BW, were you unable to find these Devcon kits at your local Lowes or Home Depot?

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Devcon-Clear-Epoxy-Adhesive/4006643

These will get you by. But in the long run, you'll find the West System stuff more versatile. Quick cure time will really bite you on a bigger job.

I saw those but thought I only could use the 2 ton version of it?? 

That version has 1500 PSI strength and the 2 ton has 2500 PSI .... will the extra 1000PSI save me or is 1500 still more than enough?

I can't imagine a realistic situation that puts 1500 psi on the knots. I've used that stuff quite a bit, never a problem, except for taking too long to get it where it needs to go. A slow-set epoxy like WS can be mixed in larger quantities, and stays thin enough to pour, even in near-freezing temps. In fact, I just finished filling several "beauty marks" in my current project with WS 105+207 mixed with sandind dust and coffee grounds. Temp in my work space is somewhat below 40*F right now.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 11:24 AM, Chet said:

Nut is correct.  I think the only thing that would concern me is if it had the possibility of freezing solid but I don't even know if that is a concern.

If mine ever freezes solid, my house is on the market as soon as my truck thaws out ;)

• Like 2

It’s currently 42*,  raining and windy here and I’m dreaming of July! I flew into Minneapolis/St. Paul several times, in route to Sioux Falls to pheasant hunt in November and each time, I wondered why! I mean, you guys have good looking ladies but we do too! So now, I keep my ass at home in the winter. Did I just hj another thread? Sorry. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

It’s currently 42*,  raining and windy here and I’m dreaming of July! I flew into Minneapolis/St. Paul several times, in route to Sioux Falls to pheasant hunt in November and each time, I wondered why! I mean, you guys have good looking ladies but we do too! So now, I keep my ass at home in the winter. Did I just hj another thread? Sorry. 

Lol! Damnit coop! 

All good bud! :)

Well got a little more work done tonight but nothing picture worthy. Should get some milling  done tomorrow. 

On 12/5/2017 at 8:25 PM, bushwacked said:

filled 3 holes almost all the way and each hole took 1 bottle of epoxy. Craaaazy!! Should have just bought the west systems lol. Then I would of had plenty to finish tonight. 

Looks like a good start, to me.  Good work.

How much leak through to the other side?