Morris Chair Lumber

Chestnut

I tried a forum search and didn't find anything. There are 166 posts on this website about morris chairs though.

I'd like to buy the lumber i need for a pair of morris chairs this weekend. It's my next project and i'd like to give the lumber a bit of time to acclimate. I have access to various lumber but am wondering if i have rough 4/4 lumber that is at the 1" mark would that be suitable for the Morris chair in place of the 5/4? Would surface 4/4 that is 13/16 be too thin? I have some awesome curly stock that would be nice to use if the color matches in a few places but i'm unsure if the thickness would negatively effect the look and feel of the chair.

I would be nervous about using the thinner stock Nut.  The Morris chair is kind of a beefy looking piece and I think that if things got to thin it could hurt the look.  This is a project I am also going to do.  A couple of years ago we were at Crater Lake in Oregon and they had about 8 of these chairs in their lodge's great room that were from the period really cool looking and  I was surprised at the heft of some of the parts.

Having said that there are some parts like the slats that are around 1/2 in the guild plans.  

25 minutes ago, Chet said:

I would be nervous about using the thinner stock Nut.  The Morris chair is kind of a beefy looking piece and I think that if things got to thin it could hurt the look.  This is a project I am also going to do.  A couple of years ago we were at Crater Lake in Oregon and they had about 8 of these chairs in their lodge's great room that were from the period really cool looking and  I was surprised at the heft of some of the parts.

Having said that there are some parts like the slats that are around 1/2 in the guild plans.  

I remember your post, and looked at it a few minutes ago. Those chairs looked wonderful and very well used.

I agree the heft is a key design feature, i just can't remember if it was ever addressed before. I assume that i have 5/4 available but in the event if i only have 6/4 or 4/4 I'm kind of wondering which direction i should go. So i thought I'd ask about the 4/4 stock.

Plain maple 5/4 with curly slats could be a good look.  Dressing rough stock on a drum sander is time consuming but can yield much thicker boards with zero tearout. Either build a sled or joint one face skip & miss then finish it off with the sander. 36 grit is faster but be cautious & switch to 60 or 80 grit well before all the flaws/rough patches are gone. It takes a few passes to remove the 36 grit scratches.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Dressing rough stock on a drum sander is time consuming but can yield much thicker boards with zero tearout.

There you go Nut, now you have an excuse to by that drum sander.

I did this on the top of my recent Media cabinet for this exact reason, I was trying to maintain the thickness.  I was happy with the results.

Well with this project i plan to do the bent lams and that almost certainly means i need to buy the drum sander. I'm going to try and space that purchase out from the DC i just bought. I feel like I've been throwing money around lately like it doesn't mean anything to me and i really don't like that.

the-rich-guy1.jpg.55f72d5bbd60780c7ebd657f172caba6.jpg

On 12/14/2017 at 9:38 AM, Chestnut said:

Well with this project i plan to do the bent lams and that almost certainly means i need to buy the drum sander. I'm going to try and space that purchase out from the DC i just bought. I feel like I've been throwing money around lately like it doesn't mean anything to me and i really don't like that.

If you just need it for the Lam's I have one your welcome to use not sure where you're located but I'm in Zimmerman. I look forward to seeing your chairs progress I have QSWO ready to go for mine but it will probably be February before I start as I have coffee table and jewelry box builds in queue first.

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

If you just need it for the Lam's I have one your welcome to use not sure where you're located but I'm in Zimmerman. I look forward to seeing your chairs progress I have QSWO ready to go for mine but it will probably be February before I start as I have coffee table and jewelry box builds in queue first.

I might do that. I really need to buy one because i know I'll use it often if i have it. I want to start the chairs tomorrow but i really need to make an out feed table and a couple other small things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut , Marc did a video a while back (the woven hamper, I think), demonstrating that using a sheet-good sled can let you plane your laminating plies ridiculously thin. A drum sander is not a necessity.

He covers that in the chair project as well. The down side there is you need a jig per lamination or you are only running 1 at a time. I'm going to give it a shot on a bent lam test project and see how it works. i'm just worried that the 3rd to the last lamination is going to get eaten by the planer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@pkinneb Do you have any ideas or plans for upholstery for your planned Morris chairs? It's something i don't want to tackle myself. I can do the woodworking but don't want it to fall apart and look bad on the upholstery side.

I think I am going to tackle that myself. I have an industrial sewing machine and have done some limited cushion work in the past so I'm going to give it a shot and if I don't like it I can have some made.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I think I am going to tackle that myself. I have an industrial sewing machine and have done some limited cushion work in the past so I'm going to give it a shot and if I don't like it I can have some made.

I've tried it on a bench, and holy cow did i do a bad job. I think i'm going to try and find someplace to make custom cushions or upholstery.

I think I am going to try to hire someone to do the upholstery from our local Facebook craft-y page.  A lot of people sell a lot of pallet wood crap on there, but I am positive there are some talented seamstresses there who probably won't charge professional pricing.

This is a good idea. I might go to a pro though. If something turns out bad I'll feel less guilty making them fix it.

• Like 1

Holy crap the drop shipping cost on a Supermax 19-38 sander is $220 i can drive to St. Paul and back at $200/hr for that. Also looks like it's sold out everywhere i'm thinking about contacting woodcraft and seeing about ordering it to get the free tables. I don't know how often that sales comes up.

38 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I think Acme ships them for free.

They do but woodcraft has the tables sale. I'll probably drive to the store and order it beings that i'd pay tax either way. I just found some humor in the shipping cost to ship something 10 miles I know that it's a flat rate applied to all regardless of location.

Also is any one else having trouble with acme's website. It gives me a ton of errors.

I picked mine up at Rockler w free tables. Paid sales tax and no shipping. Deal included a $100 gift card that I spent on dust fittings etc.

I got my casters from a local distributor, swivel and wheel both lock plus better quality and it was still cheaper. It pays to develop sources for stuff like that. I've been buying from them for over 30 years.

On December 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM, bleedinblue said:

talented seamstresses there who probably won't charge professional pricing.

On December 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Chestnut said:

This is a good idea. I might go to a pro though. If something turns out bad I'll feel less guilty making them fix it.

I have been researching this also.  I talked with my sister who is a very good seamstress, does wedding dresses and all sorts of tailored things and she says she won't tackle anything having to do with  upholstery, not even for her brother. :D  She says that it is really a whole other ball game if you want it done correctly.  I think I am going to look for a good pro shop, after the woodworking you are going through I think it would be a good investment. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chet said:

I have been researching this also.  I talked with my sister who is a very good seamstress, does wedding dresses and all sorts of tailored things and she says she won't tackle anything having to do with  upholstery, not even for her brother. :D  She says that it is really a whole other ball game if you want it done correctly.  I think I am going to look for a good pro shop, after the woodworking you are going through I think it would be a good investment. 

You are correct the biggest issue is a seamstress wouldn't typically saw on a industrial sewing machine.Although the act of sewing is the same the thickness of the material being used requires a larger machine, needles, thread, etc. Like woodworking machines a good industrial machine is going to be cheap typically $2k up.