Hello from NW Florida

new2woodwrk

Just found this forum.

I am new to wood working, but progressing - not as fast as I'd like, but progressing.

I've been practicing this hobby for about 1 .5 years. I take most of the summer off, as it gets really hot in my garage/shop.

I've only taken 1 wood working class and that was online.  I learned quite a bit in terms of techniques and would love to take more classes but so far haven't found any available for my skill level or lack there of LOL.

I've not made a lot of useful things yet, mostly shop jigs, shop carts and things like that. I have recently started to make things useful based on what I learned in the class. A clock, a coffee table, a bookcase which I turned into a cabinet LOL etc.

I've also started working with Pallet wood. So far, I've used it to build up my cleat system in my shop. It's free wood, and I'm retired and on a fixed budget so it helps!

I'm going to ask for forgiveness in advance for my dumb questions - there is so much to learn and so much I don't know!

I was active in another forum, but got flamed by a member for asking a question on a topic which was unclear   :( 

Oh well.

• Like 2

Welcome! Feel free to ask about anything, you are unlikely to get flamed. The crowd here is pretty mellow, and if you post something that really belings in a different area, there are several moderators that can help you straighten it out. 

The only thing that will get you dumped on is blatant disregard of the forum rules about being a jerk or self promotion without contribution.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome! Feel free to ask about anything, you are unlikely to get flamed. The crowd here is pretty mellow, and if you post something that really belings in a different area, there are several moderators that can help you straighten it out. 

The only thing that will get you dumped on is blatant disregard of the forum rules about being a jerk or self promotion without contribution.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

Cool - I do my best to be respectful of others. I greatly respect the amount of knowledge and expertise so many have accumulated and their sharing of that knowledge.

Instead of getting into flame wars, I much prefer to move on and find another "home" - life is too short for that nonsense

• Like 1

8 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

I'm going to ask for forgiveness in advance for my dumb questions

There is no such thing as a dumb question.  Ask away and the group here does their best to get you the information.  One thing that helps is to give the most detail you can when asking.

Welcome to the forums!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bankstick said:

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

13 hours ago, Chet said:

There is no such thing as a dumb question.  Ask away and the group here does their best to get you the information.  One thing that helps is to give the most detail you can when asking.

Welcome to the forums!!!

You guys have no idea of the questions a newbie is capable of until you've heard some of mine LOL - but thanks Just the same!

Thanks all for the welcome!