LED Shop Light Interference

woodbutcher74

+1 on external antenna. I put in some LED lamps screw in edison RO80s which are replacements for 75 watt reflector lamps only drawing a few watts (about 9 watts I think). As soon as I powered them up FM was noisy and digital radio was knocked out completely. I invested in an external antenna for the shop and the interference has gone completely.1-IMG_1667.JPG

I did a write up about my experiences with supplemental LED lighting here http://tmcwoodworks.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/digital-radio-led-lights-and-external.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

LED drivers are not known for creating RF interference. The flourescent it replaced would have been more likely to do so. If the radio works when you turn the light off, I'd say you have a defective fixture. 

Google that. Cheap LED will have some unshielded transformer or some such. There is a deep record of this interference.  Ferrite rings on power leads are one suggested remedy for prewired. 

I'm still trying to figure out what this FM radio thing is? Is that a website? :P

Jokes aside i think the above is spot on for the cheap devices creating noise. I don't think it's entirely limited to LED lights any electronic with a power supply can do this i believe. If you find a good solution let me know i probably have the same cheap LED lights from menards and my Wifi signal suffers as a result.

• Haha 1

LED's do put out RF, not to mention blue light which messes with your bodies natural rhythms, Circadian rhythm. 

https://facilityexecutive.com/2016/12/84818/

http://www.usailighting.com/circadian-rhythm-lighting

You might have to invest in quality LED to avoid some of these problems. 

I am going to take my LEDs to the point where I can adjust the colors throughout the day and mimic the natural patterns of the day since my shop has very little natural light.

But to answer your question, yes the LED is the cause of the FM interference. 

12 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Google that. Cheap LED will have some unshielded transformer or some such. There is a deep record of this interference.  Ferrite rings on power leads are one suggested remedy for prewired. 

Granted, any electronic device has the potential to create RF noise. But in my experience, that being several years of research and application of lighting for peak efficiency in an industrial environment, LED illumination generates far less EMR and RF that ballast-driven lighting, such as flourescent, high pressure sodium, or metal-halide. The OP's statement that the FM radio "won't receive a thing" is another indicator, as a properly functioning light fixture of any type is unlikely to blast enough RF interference to block the entire FM spectrum.

Note that screw in LED "bulbs" that replace incandescents, and the LED tubes designed to replace florescent tubes in a standard fixture, are not exactly the same as a purpose-built LED luminaire. Since these type devices are not common in the environment I support, I have little experience with them. Other than experiments at home, which have been rather disappointing.

• Like 1

Well went to Menards today and bought another of the same fixture. Same result. I guess I'm going to plan B. I've got a surround sound 500 watt amp and tuner  that I'm going to hook up in my shop. I can hook up the external antenna. The surround sound freaked my wife out and it has been packed away in the basement for years. Might as well put it to use. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the responses.

@woodbutcher74 , where in world are you located? LED lighting (any elctronic device, actually) sold in the US is required to comply with FCC CFR47, Subpart 15.109 defines the limits of RF transmission allowed by "unintentional radiator", electronic devices that can emit radio waves, although that is not their designed purpose. You could report the mfg. of those lights, especially if they are stamped with the FCC seal approval. From your description, I would judge that stamp to be fraudulent.

Drew- I did take it back and the new one was just as bad as the first.

wtnhighlander- looked all over the box and nothing about meeting any FCC approval.

I took both fixtures back and got a T-8 and a couple of full spectrum tubes. Might not be as efficient as LED but I got satisfactory lighting for over my bench and no interference Thanks for the help..  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

looked all over the box and nothing about meeting any FCC approval

That might be the problem.  Where was the LED manufactured?  If overseas, it might not meet the necessary requirements.  I had a clock radio in the shop.  Moved it to the bedroom as I wear earplugs when in the shop so I don't hear the radio....period.

17 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Drew- I did take it back and the new one was just as bad as the first.

wtnhighlander- looked all over the box and nothing about meeting any FCC approval.

I took both fixtures back and got a T-8 and a couple of full spectrum tubes. Might not be as efficient as LED but I got satisfactory lighting for over my bench and no interference Thanks for the help..  

Well that stinks sorry to hear that your time was wasted.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, GRADALL77 said:

Last week I replaced 9 fluorescent fixtures in my shop with 9 LED fixtures from Menards and my FM stereo is useless. I turn the lights off. and it is fine. I put ferrite chokes on the power, speaker and antenna cables but did not help.

Which LED fixtures?

I bought one of the Smart Electrician tread plate lights.... but I haven't tried an FM radio around it yet.   I like that it's bright but it doesn't blind me, so was thinking about getting a couple more.   But maybe I should try this.

3 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Which LED fixtures?

I bought one of the Smart Electrician tread plate lights.... but I haven't tried an FM radio around it yet.   I like that it's bright but it doesn't blind me, so was thinking about getting a couple more.   But maybe I should try this.

Smart Electrician 4' 10000 Lumen Shop Lights. I really like them but I also liked my stereo

• 2 months later...

I had 5 of the double t8 fixtures installed since the 90s.  I recently found on Amazon retrofit kits. The kit removes the ballast, provides a wire for connecting the posts that hold the map.  The bulb was a self contained Led and supporting electronics.    Daylight  and they are not kidding my shop feels like outdoor sunshine on a summer day.  There is not noise,  radios and wifi work without issues.  
T8 LED Light Tube, 4FT, Hyperikon, Dual-End Powered, Easy Retrofit Installation, 18W (48W equivalent), 2200 Lumens, 4000K (Daylight Glow), Clear Cover

Pack of 12 UL Listed Non-Shunted T8 Lamp Holder,JACKYLED Socket Tombstone with 10 inches Wires Attached for LED Fluorescent Tube Replacements Turn-Typ

I see this thread has been revived. My eye sight is getting worse these days and finishing became an issue in the dark days of winter pre Covid. So I installed an extra 16 LED lamps which are these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMJ2QJS  4 Pack R80 LED 10w E27 Replacment for Reflector R80 Light Bulb Energy Saving 75w Equivalent Light Output [Energy Class A+] - note these are 230volt ones intended for the UK so find the equivalent for your line voltage.

Anyway these are arranged in a grid pattern spaced every 2 feet over some areas of the shop where I need them. I now have around 25 in the shop and can switch them on/off in individual zones with a few ceiling pull switches on cords. These are in addition to the T8 fluorescent tubes which cover the entire shop. So it is now very bright when I need it and the lamps are daylight. However as I mentioned above they do generate RF that interferes locally with radio reception. But as the shop has an external antenna now I no longer get any issues.

• Like 1