Dining Table

lewisc

It’s been a slow week for getting back to it. I’ve sanded the legs and rails to 150 and removed the corners using a block plane. I’m starting to find a lot of value in a block plane. I’ll be curious to see how an expensive plane performs next to the Stanley plane I’m using.  

The first leg assembly is glued. I’ll get the next one done tomorrow and then move onto the long rails. 

592E6510-B97A-432C-978E-B75EB8C2D3B0.jpeg

• Like 1

That was an adventure. I managed to get the final glueup for the legs and rails done. I figured out a way to extend some parallel clamps to do the glueup. 

Glueup was done with West Systems. The extra open time was useful. Any squeeze out was wiped down with acetone.  

The next step is to glue the inner support rails, give everything a final sand and begin painting. 

6CCC7C6B-9E88-411D-83DE-84F9D49AA6FD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since I’ve been at this. I haven’t had time to get timber for the top till today. I think I got a reasonable match between the different pieces.

I picked up a bunch of Messmate. It’s gnarly and has some character. I’ve glued 3 panels up that I’ll cleanup, run through the thicknesser and sand. After that, I’ll join the panels with hopefully minimal work to smooth it ready for finishing. 

911DE650-9804-40C6-A57A-7DDFBEEE239A.jpeg

67AA5BBF-3C8B-4DFD-8E6B-7FE4FB633E86.jpeg

• Like 2

A bit of work done in the last few days. The top was glued together. I don’t think I’ve sweated that much for a while. Not so much because of the heavy lifting but because this was the biggest table top I’ve done. 2.2metres x 1m. I was feeling nervous but it came together well. 

Ive filled a few holes with epoxy and cut it to length. I clamped a piece on the exit side of my make-do tracksaw to prevent tear out. Worked like a treat. 

I wet the surface with metholated spirits to get an idea of what it looks like. 

Im happy with it but...

This will serve  as a reminder about timber selection. There’s a few pieces that match well but it could’ve been better. I took my time choosing the pieces but it  I should have looked a bit more. Probably should’ve found some wider timber. I’ll need to remember this for the future. Once the finish is on and it starts being used, it’ll blend in with everything and I won’t notice as much. 

CFF9777F-EFBD-491F-BDA6-63DBB5E68D49.jpeg

5D4AAE63-EAC2-40DC-9ED0-2DE07078D97D.jpeg

B880B30B-76BB-4B40-A825-76CE388CB91E.jpeg

BCA93135-6F41-4F88-AF11-CFDFF80497F7.jpeg

A8CD31DB-FE1D-4913-8550-6CC44C951733.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ll need to remember that for the next one. Good idea. 

I’m going to use table buttons for attaching the top. How many is enough for a large table? I’ve drawn on the base to indicate what I was thinking. Overkill, needs more or just right?

5557999F-F751-4952-8BC5-F292E9BB990A.jpeg

Are the buttons the figure 8 looking fasteners? I'd just consider how the top is going to move and make sure that the fasteners are not going to constrict that movement. I generally try and keep the fasteners on the members that are parallel to the direction of expansion and contraction.

I’m going with the home made variety. I understand the movement and not locking it in place just not sure of how many would be best. 

Theres a good article by Christian Becksvoort on keeping table tops flat. He covers a few methods of how he does these things. https://www.finewoodworking.com/media/TabletopsFlat.pdf

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVBXSqJM-c1HMaTolqgLa

Oh those are different from what i was thinking. The figure 8 guys i fear sometimes could get stuck and restain the movement. Those would slide in a gap and work great. I've done home made versions of those before as well and like them. The figure 8 guys are just less work.

I think on the long rails in the end rectangles you could get away with 1 per side vs 2. So instead of 5 in a row you'd have 3. So i'd say your in the overkill stage but it's not like it's going to hurt anything.