Morris Chair

bleedinblue

I don't paint a lot, but probably would occasionally, even for household stuff.  I know my wife wants to paint our front door and crap like that. 

I have an open offer of $700 for a MM4 on flea bay.  Brand new but it's from a pawn shop, so no warranty.  Tempting tho. 

I spray tinted cabinet finishes all the time with my HVLP gun. Not house paint  , but lacquers and waterbourne exterior & interior finishes spray just fine. Some of the General Finishes dealers will tint to match any paint sample chip . 

9 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I spray tinted cabinet finishes all the time with my HVLP gun. Not house paint  , but lacquers and waterbourne exterior & interior finishes spray just fine. Some of the General Finishes dealers will tint to match any paint sample chip . 

How many stages?

My first one was 2 stage . A 2 stage with 5 psi at the gun should be plenty. I think my current one is 3 stage , but it's a commercial version .American Turbine AT1000+ series I think.  Each stage is 5.7" dia. It's about 15 years old and going strong. And I spray far more than most hobby shops do. Tie your turbine to the bench or something. My first one got pulled off the bench and hit the floor while running. It still worked for weeks  afterwards but kept getting louder. Eventually it seized up when the turbine blades exploded.  Also keep the filter clean . Having a spare filter & prefilter is handy.

Depending on the size projects you intend to spray a long hose is nice to have. I've got a 35' hose so I can go all the way around a large entertainment center with ease. Looks like most Fuji kits come with 25' hoses, that should be plenty.

MM3 looks like it's got the power needed. Learn to check viscosity.  Use real finish products, not house paint.  Lacquers, Shellac, waterbourne finishes, car paint, pre cat & post cat and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of. Maybe some oil finishes if properly thinned and the right needle & air cap are used. 

Read, practice, start simple...it's a journey. But beautiful results and multiple coats a day are quite achieveable.  Thin coats dry faster but some finishes need a full wet coat to level out and achieve a flawless finish. Read, practice......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Maybe the MM3 is on the table then.  I'll probably order it then Acme will have a sale a week later. 

You missed the one a few weeks ago. They will have another one for memorial day and the 4th probably.

Less to clean in gravity feed systems. It's very minor but a minor benefit. I researched this when i bought mine and it seemed like gravity had the slight edge.

If it ever becomes and issue the 3M pps cup system will allow you to spray with the gun at any angle.

I had to google that Coop, lol.  

It almost feels wrong, but faux leather is on the table.  I have a 7 month old german shepherd and a 2 year old kid.  Regular fabric would likely get stained, and it would be pretty horrible if $400 worth of leather got chewed up.  

Our kitchen chairs are faux leather and feel/look quite nice. 

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I had to google that Coop, lol.  

It almost feels wrong, but faux leather is on the table.  I have a 7 month old german shepherd and a 2 year old kid.  Regular fabric would likely get stained, and it would be pretty horrible if $400 worth of leather got chewed up.  

Our kitchen chairs are faux leather and feel/look quite nice. 

I think that is likely what I will do on mine when I make it for the same reasons. Leather is great but just like different woods for us woodworkers it takes special care to work with it and you really have to make sure the person doing the upholstery has experience sewing leather, it moves a lot more then pleather or most cloth upholstery for that matter. 

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It'll be interesting to see how your upholstery journey goes. Mine seems like it's going to be expensive but I'm also going the leather route. I don't know if the materials increased the cost of the labor or not but so far :blink:.

The guy I found just so happens to be a friend of some friends.  He has a full upholstery business as a side job.  He is providing all materials, the foam, batting, webbing, etc, plus the labor, for $250.  I am supplying the fabric and the wood frames.  That's it.  It's a steal.

6 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

The guy I found just so happens to be a friend of some friends.  He has a full upholstery business as a side job.  He is providing all materials, the foam, batting, webbing, etc, plus the labor, for $250.  I am supplying the fabric and the wood frames.  That's it.  It's a steal.

HA! i hate my life.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

That is really cheap for sure! Plus the added benefit of folks who know his work, nice! He's probably got $100 into material alone.