Morris Chair

bleedinblue

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Naturally, the day after I order the Fuji, ebay has one of their "15% off everything sales."  So for $25 more, I could have bought from a dealer and retained full warranty.  

Lucky for you they are solid machines so ultimately shouldn't be an issue :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Lucky for you they are solid machines so ultimately shouldn't be an issue :) 

Indeed.  Before I made the purchase I contacted their customer service to ask if the warranty would be honored if the machine was new, but bought from a non-dealer.  They said it wouldn't be, but if there were any issues to contact them and they'd do what they can.  The impressive thing is they answered the email in twelve hours or less.  There's value in that in my opinion.

• Like 2

We’re looking at a new Traverse for my wife. It says leather trim but none of the car salespeople that trample you at the door can tell me which part of the seat is real leather, nor can their gm’s. You can bet you butt that the whole thing is not leather, but as long as I can’t tell the difference and she doesn’t care, life is good. 

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

We’re looking at a new Traverse for my wife. It says leather trim but none of the car salespeople that trample you at the door can tell me which part of the seat is real leather, nor can their gm’s. You can bet you butt that the whole thing is not leather, but as long as I can’t tell the difference and she doesn’t care, life is good. 

Typically on all but high end vehicles the seat itself is leather and the sides, back, etc are pleather.

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Maybe that means the steering wheel is Leather. :)

Yep they are LOL

We went to Joann's yesterday to put our hands on some of their faux leather.  Most of them, if I wasn't looking at their backing (and the price tag), were indistinguishable for idiots like me between fake and real.  Still shopping, but leaning heavily toward this route.

7 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

We went to Joann's yesterday to put our hands on some of their faux leather.  Most of them, if I wasn't looking at their backing (and the price tag), were indistinguishable for idiots like me between fake and real.  Still shopping, but leaning heavily toward this route.

If it comes in a rectangular sheet it's a fake or manufactured leather, so you were probably comparing fake to fake unless Joann's has leather hides. I'd be slightly surprised by that. Bonded leather is leather scraps that are adhered to a substrate are usually heavily coated to cover up that their bonded and will be very similar to pleather. I'd probably lean towards Pleather or polyurethane leather (PU) over bonded from my experience esp considering dog nails ect.

Bonded leather contains leather so it allows companies to market leather, in order to get the true hide stuff the word genuine is used..

My apologies from all the research I've done on my own chairs i fear I've turned into a leather pedant. Public flogging as acceptable punishment.

Got thr mortises done in the back side rails.  Pretty uneventful, except the offset from my guide bushing to the router bit was apparently different from the plans.  All of the mortises came out about an 1/4" too long.  Not a huge problem, I'll just make the back slats wider. 

I moved on to selecting stock for the back slats and I'm short.  I literally need a piece of 8/4 that is 21" long and 2" wide.  So dumb.  Rather than spend an afternoon to go to the yard I'm going to see if Bell Forrest (or any other online source) can send me a piece. 

20180509_092814.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I literally need a piece of 8/4 that is 21" long and 2" wide.

Do you have enough 4/4 scrap that you can laminate together and us it for one of the lower slats where only you know it exists?  Joint the glue faces and it wouldn't even be notice.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chet said:

Do you have enough 4/4 scrap that you can laminate together and us it for one of the lower slats where only you know it exists?  Joint the glue faces and it wouldn't even be notice.  Just a thought.

Certainly.  I've got a ton of 4/4 stock.  This is a possibility, but I don't want the curve to expose mismatched grain at the glue line when it's cut. 

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

This is a possibility, but I don't want the curve to expose mismatched grain at the glue line when it's cut. 

Yea, after posting  I started wondering how far the curve would go toward the glue line.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, Chestnut said:

You could ... do the bent lamination :ph34r::D

Yoooo Nut.  Emergency technical question....I will likely have to figure it out before you can reply, but what he hell... 

The back slats, per the plans, are 21 3/4"...however the template only measures to about 20 3/8" (that includes the 1/2" tenons)

I'm not sure what I'm missing.  Not sure if the template printed wrong, the plans are rough size, it's an error, or I'm missing something obvious. 

2 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Yoooo Nut.  Emergency technical question....I will likely have to figure it out before you can reply, but what he hell... 

The back slats, per the plans, are 21 3/4"...however the template only measures to about 20 3/8" (that includes the 1/2" tenons)

I'm not sure what I'm missing.  Not sure if the template printed wrong, the plans are rough size, it's an error, or I'm missing something obvious. 

AHHHH i didn't make the slats off the bending template i made mine off the dimensions for the tenon jig. What i'd do is take the template and just extend the lines out the 3/4" you need on either side to get the slats.

Are you going to template route the slats?

I'm going to double check the plans and will respond with what i find.

Just now, Chestnut said:

AHHHH i didn't make the slats off the bending template i made mine off the dimensions for the tenon jig. What i'd do is take the template and just extend the lines out the 3/4" you need on either side to get the slats.

Are you going to template route the slats?

I'm going to double check the plans and will respond with what i find.

I think I just realized the problem.  I think the sizes from the plan account for the length lost in the bent lam process.  I am confident enough now to keep charging forward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I think I just realized the problem.  I think the sizes from the plan account for the length lost in the bent lam process.  I am confident enough now to keep charging forward. 

That is exactly it. The dimensions for this piece are the length of the slats measured between the rails. Also there is some additional accounted for to allow for trimming ends. screen show below shows the length of the pieces this is from the tenon template.

Screenshot-2018-5-15 Back Slats Tenons - The Wood Whisperer Guild.jpg

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That is exactly it. The dimensions for this piece are the length of the slats measured between the rails. Also there is some additional accounted for to allow for trimming ends. screen show below shows the length of the pieces this is from the tenon template.

Screenshot-2018-5-15 Back Slats Tenons - The Wood Whisperer Guild.jpg

Does this length not account for the tenons?  Placing my side rails in place, there is exactly 20 1/8" space between the arms. 

7 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Does this length not account for the tenons?  Placing my side rails in place, there is exactly 20 1/8" space between the arms. 

That length is sans tenon so you'll need to add the tenon length to each side. Sorry that is a very important designation.

Just now, Chestnut said:

That length is sans tenon so you'll need to add the tenon length to each side. Sorry that is a very important designation.

Perfect!  That puts me right where I need to be then.  I'm still confused by the template, since it has tenons drawn in and has an OVERALL length of 20 3/8", but I'm gonna make one more check on the chair it's self and go for it. 

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

Perfect!  That puts me right where I need to be then.  I'm still confused by the template, since it has tenons drawn in and has an OVERALL length of 20 3/8", but I'm gonna make one more check on the chair it's self and go for it. 

I'm pretty sure in the video Marc addresses that the template he printed is sufficient to make a bending form but is insufficient beyond that. He then pushes the complicated tenoning jig. I don't mean to make this sound critical. I wish i could send you my tenoning jog because it works perfectly.

Just now, Chestnut said:

I'm pretty sure in the video Marc addresses that the template he printed is sufficient to make a bending form but is insufficient beyond that. He then pushes the complicated tenoning jig. I don't mean to make this sound critical. I wish i could send you my tenoning jog because it works perfectly.

LOL, I've watched the video a few times but glossed over a lot of it, knowing I was going to take the "easy way." :rolleyes:

Thanks for the sanity check.