Morris Chair

bleedinblue

58 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Those mats look awesome.  I may explore them for future use. 

How did it go cutting the tenons in the bent back slats?  That's the part that really concerns me. 

Cake walk the jig looks intimidating but it's really not. The big thing is to make one of the back slats way longer than needed and run a test tenon before you batch the back slats out. I had to adjust my top guide piece a bit inorder to get the tenon where it should be. For some reason how my slats were made differed from what mac had. This is just the position of the "fence" on the top piece I also think i covered it in my journal.

I had just enough time today to get the arms jointed and trimmed to width.  This was the time for the big reveal of the lamination quality. 

D-

I'm about 90% sure I'm not going to re-make them, but I'm not thrilled at all.  It's clear to me that I didn't have enough clamping pressure, or my form wasn't good enough, or maybe the foam padding had too much give.  Something went wrong for sure.  The first arm actually came out better than the second, I'd give it a C.  

Maybe the lines will be less noticeable when the cherry darkens, maybe not.  Like I said, I'm 80% sure I'm not going to re-make them though.

Hopefully I can get the arms trimmed for length tonight, and by then I'll see if my 75% odds of re-making them have changed. 

20180324_142815.jpg

20180324_142109.jpg

They will definitely blend in better with time for two reasons: one, the color will get closer and two you won't be looking for the lines :).

The only way I would remake them is If I was going to do something different. For instance color the glue or use a vacuum system so you know you are getting even pressure every where. Its hard to get that with clamps and even with it not sure it would eliminate the items you pointed out here. In the end you did remove wood from between the joints its never going to look like a steam bent piece. 

FWIW I don't think the foam was an issue.

I think the clamping pressure was the problem.  Not to re-hash, but the first glue up broke the form because the clamping pressure was pretty much all on the edges.  For the second glue up I moved the clamps further toward the center.  The difference in quality is undeniable...the pressure toward the edges won out.  That said, the first arm had some cupping (5 minutes with the ros took care of that) and the second arm remained flat...well, along the width it remained flat.

If I re-make them I wouldn't change the glue and I'm not ready to dive into a vacuum system.  Adding clamps, somehow, would be the only change I'd know to make.  Clamps toward the center and toward the edge, a more balanced approach.  There's a 70% chance I'll go with what I have though.  I'm looking forward to the next steps in the build.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

There's a 70% chance I'll go with what I have though.

Based on your last couple of posts, it seems like in about 5 more posts you'll have decided to remake them ;). Seriously though, I think they look better than you're giving yourself credit for. Once the wood darkens, especially with an oil based finish, they'll blend in much more.

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I think the clamping pressure was the problem.  Not to re-hash, but the first glue up broke the form because the clamping pressure was pretty much all on the edges.  For the second glue up I moved the clamps further toward the center.  The difference in quality is undeniable...the pressure toward the edges won out.  That said, the first arm had some cupping (5 minutes with the ros took care of that) and the second arm remained flat...well, along the width it remained flat.

If I re-make them I wouldn't change the glue and I'm not ready to dive into a vacuum system.  Adding clamps, somehow, would be the only change I'd know to make.  Clamps toward the center and toward the edge, a more balanced approach.  There's a 70% chance I'll go with what I have though.  I'm looking forward to the next steps in the build.

I thought that the lines on my arms were not great and now i'm looking at the arms and think i was crazy for my thoughts of a few weeks ago. There are bigger fish to fry on this project, chasing perfect line son the laminations would be futile.

Frank, I think in the long run you are going to be happy with your results and you are the only one who will even notice.   Part of the process of becoming a good woodworker is to learn not to point out the parts of a project that you aren't happy with to the untrained individual.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Based on your last couple of posts, it seems like in about 5 more posts you'll have decided to remake them ;). Seriously though, I think they look better than you're giving yourself credit for. Once the wood darkens, especially with an oil based finish, they'll blend in much more.

I'm at a solid 67%  :D

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I thought that the lines on my arms were not great and now i'm looking at the arms and think i was crazy for my thoughts of a few weeks ago. There are bigger fish to fry on this project, chasing perfect line son the laminations would be futile.

I started reading your first sentence and thought "dang dude, don't hold back!" and you were going to say "I thought that the lines on my arms were not great, until I saw yours and realized how good mine are!"  Full steam ahead, I'm anxious to move on.  I know I could do better, but I'm not going to get it perfect, and chasing a minor improvement will be beyond the point of diminishing returns.  I'm 63% sure of it.

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

Part of the process of becoming a good woodworker is to learn not to point out the parts of a project that you aren't happy with to the untrained individual.

Oh I know.  I've improved in that area.  This thread is gonna get my raw, honest thoughts though...usually minutes after I come upstairs.  My "reveal" thread is gonna have the best pictures with the most flattering angles and the best lighting my cell phone can possibly take, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm at a solid 67%  :D

I started reading your first sentence and thought "dang dude, don't hold back!" and you were going to say "I thought that the lines on my arms were not great, until I saw yours and realized how good mine are!"  Full steam ahead, I'm anxious to move on.  I know I could do better, but I'm not going to get it perfect, and chasing a minor improvement will be beyond the point of diminishing returns.  I'm 63% sure of it.

Oh I know.  I've improved in that area.  This thread is gonna get my raw, honest thoughts though...usually minutes after I come upstairs.  My "reveal" thread is gonna have the best pictures with the most flattering angles and the best lighting my cell phone can possibly take, lol.

My finale pictures are going to be a view from me sitting in the chair and nothing else. I'm exhausted. I did spend all day scraping sanding planing and getting 2 chairs ready for glueup though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures, but this afternoon I got the rear tenon curved shoulders cut.  It took me the whole two and a half hours of shop time I had available.  The results are...passable...I think.  They're not going to be perfect but I'm reasonably confident I gave it my best and when assembled it isn't going to be ghastly. 

8 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

No pictures, but this afternoon I got the rear tenon curved shoulders cut.  It took me the whole two and a half hours of shop time I had available.  The results are...passable...I think.  They're not going to be perfect but I'm reasonably confident I gave it my best and when assembled it isn't going to be ghastly. 

Worst part of the project is done then. It's all down hill from there.

Got a couple hours today so I got the top rails cut to shape and got the mortises cut into the arms.  The curve matches only about 95% or so.  I'm definitely going to have to do the thin strip that Marc talks about to hide the gaps from the arm to the top rail.  That's not surprising though. 

Anyone else have a point in a project where you have a bunch of parts cut out, and have so many notes and markings written on those parts that you can't decipher what they mean and can't visualize how the end project could possibly be attractive?  

20180404_162922.jpg

20180404_162849.jpg

• Like 1

Wipe the edge with mineral spirits and see how visible those lines are. In the closeup view I can see the lines but they look clean and neat to me. In the last pictures they aren't dicernable.  If you can't see them from 3 ft when wet you are worrying about nothing.

• Like 1

Frank from here it looks like you glue lams came out pretty good. 

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

and have so many notes and markings written on those parts that you can't decipher what they mean

I will put a piece of blue tape on a piece so I can write more exacting notes if I have to.  If I have to do a procedure and the tape is in the way I just peal the tape off and then put it back on when done.

I cut the curve into the top and bottom side rails today, then got the grooves cut into them for the slats.  Pretty straight forward and no major problems to speak of.  These curves were my maiden voyage with a spoke shave, it was pretty decent to use.  I wish it had an adjustable mouth and a different blade adjustment mechanism though...turning two screws to advance/retract the blade is a pain. 

It's time to start thinking about a clamping strategy for the glue up.  My parallel clamps are all either 50" or 24", so not much help there.  I have a lot of long pipe clamps, but no.  My good f-style clamps are all too short, and the few long ones I have are junk.  I think I need the Dubuque 36" clamps to be back in stock (and for my wife to not be home to catch the package)

10 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I cut the curve into the top and bottom side rails today, then got the grooves cut into them for the slats.  Pretty straight forward and no major problems to speak of.  These curves were my maiden voyage with a spoke shave, it was pretty decent to use.  I wish it had an adjustable mouth and a different blade adjustment mechanism though...turning two screws to advance/retract the blade is a pain. 

It's time to start thinking about a clamping strategy for the glue up.  My parallel clamps are all either 50" or 24", so not much help there.  I have a lot of long pipe clamps, but no.  My good f-style clamps are all too short, and the few long ones I have are junk.  I think I need the Dubuque 36" clamps to be back in stock (and for my wife to not be home to catch the package)

Do you have the veritas spokeshave?

If you have pipe clamps just run out and grab some 3' pieces of pipe.

Also these guys are pretty nice clamps. The price is low but the quality is on par with Bessy. https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/clamps-vises/masterforce-reg-36-f-clamp/3064467/p-1444439542737.htm

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Do you have the veritas spokeshave?

If you have pipe clamps just run out and grab some 3' pieces of pipe.

Also these guys are pretty nice clamps. The price is low but the quality is on par with Bessy. https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/clamps-vises/masterforce-reg-36-f-clamp/3064467/p-1444439542737.htm

Yup, it's the Veritas. 

The masterforce clamps may be the way to go.  That's a hell of a good price for a 36" beefy f-style clamp.  I still want some Dubuques, but if they're not back in stock in the next couple of days I'll hit Menards.

6 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I’ve never had a project with a glue up with this much pucker. Wishing you luck bud!