Morris Chair

bleedinblue

I finally got a full afternoon in the shop today.  I had previously milled the side slats, but they came out too thin so I had to re-make them.  Overall it was a smooth process, though a bit tedious, to get them set into place and the spacers cut and fitted.  Now the sides are really starting to look like something.

When searching for stock to cut the slats from, I found the perfect piece of 6/4 for the back rails....next up I'll be able to put the base aside and make the back.

20180410_134325.jpg

20180410_134317.jpg

20180410_125657.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, bleedinblue said:

I cut the curve into the top and bottom side rails today, then got the grooves cut into them for the slats.  Pretty straight forward and no major problems to speak of.  These curves were my maiden voyage with a spoke shave, it was pretty decent to use.  I wish it had an adjustable mouth and a different blade adjustment mechanism though...turning two screws to advance/retract the blade is a pain. 

It's time to start thinking about a clamping strategy for the glue up.  My parallel clamps are all either 50" or 24", so not much help there.  I have a lot of long pipe clamps, but no.  My good f-style clamps are all too short, and the few long ones I have are junk.  I think I need the Dubuque 36" clamps to be back in stock (and for my wife to not be home to catch the package)

I'm with ya Blue, those Dubuque clamps are excellent.  I've 4   36":D.

I would play with that bit on some scrap. Medium to high speed but not Max speed ! Try doing some template routing on curves, if it feels grabby or tears out then climb cutting may be the cure. Read up on climb cutting before you try it. It's quite effective but does carry some risk.

When using the starting pin I always add  1"- 2" at both ends of the template and the blank to be routed if possible . Sometimes using a push block like the Grrripper gives better control and safety. Double check which face of the template and which face of the board needs to face up. It's easy to get the ugly side facing up when your done. Label both sides of the template especially if you need a Left & Right part. I try to saw about 1/8 to 3/16 outside the line before template routing. Bandsaw or jigsaw must be cutting at 90 degrees ! Even a slightly crooked table or bent blade can ruin your day. 

Is that a Whiteside bit ? Which model ? Let us know how it behaves. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 5:36 PM, Chestnut said:

Your at the point where things start moving fast. Soon you'll be applying finish. Start researching upholstry sooner rather than later. I'm still waiting on suplied and what not.

Yeah, the only reason I haven't started yet was I was worried the measurements wouldn't be exact to plans.  It's time to start shopping for someone who can do the work though.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a couple of years. Looking darn good Blue! Speaking of finish, what are your plans?

Good question.  Initially I figured the usual ARS, but the past couple of days I've been checking for a 15% off sale from Acme for a Fuji.  Sooooo...probably ARS, with a lot of pre-finishing, or maybe I'll dive into spray lacquer.  I'm going to poke around for some other SIMPLE options though.

If you’re going the Fuji route, check with Chet. He and I forget who else, influenced me into one for spraying shellac. Definitely takes some practice but we’ll worth the investment, my opinion, not my wife’s ;)

7 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

If you’re going the Fuji route, check with Chet. He and I forget who else, influenced me into one for spraying shellac. Definitely takes some practice but we’ll worth the investment, my opinion, not my wife’s ;)

It's gonna happen.  Just not sure if it will happen by the time I'm ready to "finish" this chair or not.  My gut tells me to wait for an Acme sale, but I'm also watching Ebay and Amazon warehouse, too.  I'm pretty sure I want four stage so I can spray paint when needed.

I've never touched shellac.  I need to play with it some for sure.

The cherry is going to darken nicely over time.  So having said that if the chair were mine and its not but if it were, I would stick it in the sun for a day or two to speed up the process.  Then I would spray it with General Finishes Enduro-Var which has a little amber to it and it is a water borne finish so it is safe to sprain your basement or garage.   I think it is pretty close to the protection you would get from laquar.  I used to use GF's High Performance but I tried some Enduro-Var recently and I think it has a better look. 

On 4/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, Chet said:

The cherry is going to darken nicely over time.  So having said that if the chair were mine and its not but if it were, I would stick it in the sun for a day or two to speed up the process.  Then I would spray it with General Finishes Enduro-Var which has a little amber to it and it is a water borne finish so it is safe to sprain your basement or garage.   I think it is pretty close to the protection you would get from laquar.  I used to use GF's High Performance but I tried some Enduro-Var recently and I think it has a better look. 

Just searching around a bit and found that you bought a Mini Mite 2 a couple years ago.  Still like it?  I've pretty well talked myself into a HVLP, just debating how many stages I NEED.