Morris Chair

bleedinblue

10 hours ago, Chet said:

The one thing to remember with the first time spraying shellac is that because it is fine it can be easy to over spray, so practice on a large surface of cardboard or something to get the feel of the process.

I disagree. Especially if the second time is months away from the first. I’ve learned to practice everytime.

I was really nervous starting the finishing process, kept thinking I'd find I had hidden squeeze out on every other joint, dents, or I didn't sand well enough.  Most of my fears were unfounded.  There may or may not be a couple of penciled in numbers on the inside of a couple slats, I can not confirm or deny. 

3 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

There may or may not be a couple of penciled in numbers on the inside of a couple slats, I can not confirm or deny. 

There’s something I like about leaving a couple inconspicuous marks, whether intentional or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did mine the same way. So much easier and better results, at least for me. My legs are mesquite veneered over cherry core, so to avoid the glue line and exposed cherry, I really didn't have any other choice. 

Another thing I think I would have done -

I think one of the toughest things about the build was matching the curve to the top rails and fitting the top of the back leg to the curve with a chisel and saw. I think if I were going to try to produce these chairs for a profit I would center and cut 1 1/2" square mortises, deep, maybe 2" into the tops of the legs, by whatever favorite method, before I even got to fitting the arms. Once the arms were done I'd fit the whole dry fitted side assembly to the bottom of the arm, then transfer the mortise locations to the arms and cut the through mortises. Glue in a floating 1 1/2" tenon and voilá. 

If i was going to mass produce as use fake through tenons I'd nix both leg tenons counter sink a screw and glue the fake tenon over top. I'd really on the long glue joint between the arm and top rail. These chairs are way over built. I could do back flips off the arms.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you steal that from my house while i was away this morning? Both of mine better be there when i get back!

Awesome work i like the straps on to hold the back cushion on. Also the grain choice for the back slats is nice i think you did a great job there. Also the wood for the sides and front rail look great i love the subtle figure.

• Like 1