Morris Chair

bleedinblue

10 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Rip the Bottom of the part off, glue on a new piece, re drill & reshape. Use the ripped off strip as a drill guide.

:blink:  Makes me shake thinking about it, lol.  Just so I know we're on the same page, that is the rear of one of the bent lam'd arms.  Unless I'm missing what you are suggesting, that fix would be...difficult.

46 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Is it the very first hole? So if you recline the chair 1 peg hole it'd be covered? Also on the underside?

If that's the case.... Don't fix it. Only you and the mice that run along the wall will know.

Yup, very first hole on the underside.  That's why I'm not panicked and not itching to risk more damage with a repair. 

Monday, the day before yesterday, my wife and I were both off work.  She had promised me a full afternoon in the shop and she'd take care of our kid.  That would certainly be enough time to get everything sanded and possibly time to get some assembly in the works.

Sounds too good to be true, right? 

About 1130 I was leaving Home Depot about to head home to start my highly anticipated afternoon and I got a phone call from the prosecuting attorney saying I was needed in court ASAP for a suppression hearing for a four year old robbery case.  Afternoon:  gone.  So I go deal with that and the prosecutor says "ehhh, hopefully we don't need you tomorrow for the actual jury trial.  I'll try go get you out of it, but I'll call if I need you"  You know what that meant...the next afternoon, also gone.

I got about an hours worth of work in after court but still need about one more hour to bring all parts up to 220. 

Almost.  There.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 8:44 AM, Chestnut said:

Man there have been a lot of these chairs made on the forum this year. Too bad it's just not piratical to get them in one spot group them up and play some musical chairs. :D That would be a very cruel but comfortable game of musical chairs.

I think the waterlox is a good idea. Is there any reason why you don't want to do ARS? Also I'll drop the same advice as before. Save you final coat until after you get the chair back from upholstery. No matter how careful i was, the one i moved still ended up with a couple scuffs. I can't expect the guy doing the upholstery work to walk on egg shells he has to get his work done.

I really wanted to use my new MM4 for this project and still might.  I'm still in contact with Eric and he suggested spraying the chair with shellac.  The weather is going to hell right now and the temp is going to be around 100 with high humidity for the next week or so, so I can't spray outside.  I'm either going to hang some plastic sheeting in the basement, or ditch the spray idea and go with Waterlox.  That kinda sucks, since this project was part of the justification I gave myself for buying the Fuji, plus $60 worth of shellac flakes, plus $60 for a 1.0 mm tip....:rolleyes:

The decision between Waterlox and ARS is pretty dumb...I lean toward Waterlox simply because I've never used it before.  I expect extremely similar results from WL, but I just wanna see. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I really wanted to use my new MM4 for this project and still might.  I'm still in contact with Eric and he suggested spraying the chair with shellac.  The weather is going to hell right now and the temp is going to be around 100 with high humidity for the next week or so, so I can't spray outside.  I'm either going to hang some plastic sheeting in the basement, or ditch the spray idea and go with Waterlox.  That kinda sucks, since this project was part of the justification I gave myself for buying the Fuji, plus $60 worth of shellac flakes, plus $60 for a 1.0 mm tip....:rolleyes:

The decision between Waterlox and ARS is pretty dumb...I lean toward Waterlox simply because I've never used it before.  I expect extremely similar results from WL, but I just wanna see. 

I still haven't sprayed shellac. That being said i don't use my MM4 for furniture a lot but the things that i do use it for make it worth while having. Large flat surfaces are finished in minutes instead of hours.

I need to try shellac but i'm scared to ruin the spray gun on my MM. I suppose shellac does dissolve easily enough. but i still don't want to plug it up.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I need to try shellac but i'm scared to ruin the spray gun on my MM. I suppose shellac does dissolve easily enough. but i still don't want to plug it up.

Like anything else, no real chance of this happening as long as you take care in what you are doing.  Shellac is a pretty fine product to run through your gun.  I think it has less chance of creating a problem then thicker items like top coats or paint.  Properly dissolving the flakes in denatured alcohol is the big step.  If you don't let the flakes dissolve properly before you put it in you gun, then that can be a problem.  The other thing you don't want to do is let it sit in the gun.  When you are finished empty it and runs some clean denatured alcohol  through the gun.  Easy Peasy.

The one thing to remember with the first time spraying shellac is that because it is fine it can be easy to over spray, so practice on a large surface of cardboard or something to get the feel of the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Practice sealing up the back or underside of a project. Shellac ain't cheap, use it somewhere your mistakes won't show. But I totally agree that if you run some alcohol through the gun after spraying shellac you will have no problems.  If you dissolve flakes do it several days in advance. The instructions will tell you to give it time to totally dissolve, stir several times and strain/filter out anything that doesn't dissolve. Anytime you spray anything it goes through a strainer first. Invest in a stack of filter cones and a stand. If I know I will need a quart will usually strain  1 1/2 or 2 quarts before I start. Invest in a spare spray cup and a cover/cap for it. If you don't need all of it you can pour it back in the can but stopping to strain more in the middle of a spray session is annoying.

Every time I spray the gun gets flushed, broken down and a brush run through all the fluid passages. Invest in a cleaning kit with all the different size brushes etc. Then put the gun back together , if you leave it apart pieces will get lost !