Learning Curve on Hand Plane vs. Buying Planer

JT_LancasterPA

So I'm looking to build a basic workbench, nothing Roubo or fancy like that. Just basic with 2x6s. I'm trying to decide on a purchase of a hand plane to flatten the top after glue up, or save for a bench top planer to run laminated sections through.

I have a vintage Stanley #4 that needs some work but takes shavings, but not perfect yet. I'm toying with a #5 1/2 or a Low Angle Jack plane since they seem to me more versatile on a budget. 

A part of me wants to jump to a  #7 for flattening, since i'll be doing a bunch of cutting boards too in the future. 

Regarding the learning curve, I've tried flattening some boards and done a decent job with my #4, but what am I looking at learning curve wise with a hand plane for a bench top vs. simply saving up for a bench top planer. 

Just looking for some community wisdom in case I've overlooked something since either a nice plane or bench top planer are expensive in my book. Thoughts? 

Just don't Find cheap hardwood.

I made my bench out of 2x10s which are a higher grade than 2x6 material and my top had 1/4" hills at the quarter points and was 1/4" low at the center 4 months after i built it. I used my #7 to flatten half of the bench kind of and it was a LOT of work. If your going to not spend money on a planer to flatten the bench take that money and make the bench out of a better wood. Some people will tell you that a planer is a necessity but the softwood bench really sucks..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Figured I'd share some pictures of the bench. I also didn't fully answer your question. I'd say that a #5 is a bit too small but is more useful once your finished with the bench. Depending on the size of the bench and the size of the work you do the #5 will go a long way to getting a good flat bench. A step up would be a #6, used Stanly ones are going for 65 ish on ebay right now. The learning curve with hand planes is sharpening them. If you can get a good sharp iron they are strait forward to use. Check out Renaissance woodworker and Paul sellers on youtube for more techniques. If you have a #4 a #5 isn't that much difference where a #6 could be more useful. #7s in good shape get spensive.

Flattening with #7

257225548799995065.thumb.jpg.d235fdebdb2b80b4b58258ac7c92cdf3.jpg

Bench Storage idea form FourEyes

1194258223528238549.thumb.jpg.19d8019770b6f2ac576d10a25a44f3ca.jpg

After flattening it's still this far out but i said #@)A5 IT! The center 12" was flat good nuff.

6593245761604423930.thumb.jpg.17320f3f840b092ffd23c450ec8b5cf3.jpg

Other flattening strategies are using a router sled.

and

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I did purchase a router and have made a sled for flattening my cutting boards. It's worked great! Sure it's a little slower than running through a planer, but now I have the necessary skills available to know how to flatten large pieces, including the new top for my workbench that is forthcoming.

The router wasn't too big of a buy-in, so I feel good about what I've spent and what I've learned. Thank you for your help on all this! 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, JT_LancasterPA said:

A part of me wants to jump to a  #7 for flattening, since i'll be doing a bunch of cutting boards too in the future. 

If you're thinking your hand planes will be the right tool for end grain board, you're gunna be miserable. You didn't say end grain but I've spent a few hours this week flattening cutting boards with a drum sander and I still hate it.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You west coast guys are such a woose. I made one last weekend to give to my gf’s mom. No problemo! 

Sweet. I'll be finishing these tonight.. started them Tuesdays.  If you want to flatten by hand, feel free. I'd rather be drinking.

IMG_20180726_203417.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Sweet. I'll be finishing these tonight.. started them Tuesdays.  If you want to flatten by hand, feel free. I'd rather be drinking.

End grain oak for a cutting board! How dare you ...! Don't let the youtube comment section see that LOL.

Boards look good. I still have yet to do an end grain board. Are they worth it? I've done a few face grain ones and they seem to hold up ok for me.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

End grain oak for a cutting board! How dare you ...! Don't let the youtube comment section see that LOL.

Boards look good. I still have yet to do an end grain board. Are they worth it? I've done a few face grain ones and they seem to hold up ok for me.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the armchair jockeys opinions. I've been using a white oak and Cherry cutting board for 3 years. Weirdly, I don't have jaundice, dissentary or alopecia. The internet lies!

Cutting boards bank roll my shop so I'd say that they do pretty well. I build 6 for friends/family Christmas of 2014, those people bought some in 15 as gifts. That continuing and spreading through my office has had me fortunate enough to receive at least 3-4 orders per month. With one income for 5 people, it helps a lot not having to use my income for shop stuff.

As for the building of them, it's a bit boring now but no two are ever the same so there's at least a bit of  a reveal of something different when it goes into the mineral oil

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I still have yet to do an end grain board. Are they worth it?

End grain won't show wear from knife marks nearly as much as face or edge grain.  And technically end grain is more sanitary but they are all sanitary unless you are to lazy to wipe them done when done using them.