Sawstop Savings in Cincinnati

collinb

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

One question...who buys a $4k table saw and never sets it up LOL...having said that if I was in the market I would be all over that.

Totally agree!  But...it's 3ph power, which will probably cut down on the number of people willing to jump on it...

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

One question...who buys a $4k table saw and never sets it up LOL...having said that if I was in the market I would be all over that.

I've seen rapidly growing firms do all sorts of stuff, throwing money around. It's not that uncommon. But it is not common for the one-man shop to do this. Except those who by Lie Nielsen to set on the shelf to look pretty. :-)

I've had some friends over the years that are all-or-nothing with their hobbies, which are usually short lived, and I could see a couple of them doing this.

"If I'm going spend $3k on a table saw, I might as well upgrade to X for only $1k more, and if I'm going to spend $4k on a table saw, I might as well get Y for another $1k. What's that? I don't have 3ph 480v in my garage? That's okay, I'm really into knitting now."

Most likely a company that overestimated their growth rate. Good deal for someone who is in the market for a saw like this.

Was probably a business that needed to get an expense on the books at the end of the year. Maybe they were hoping for some expansion that never came. Maybe they realized that the felder slider was just a way better saw? Maybe they just want the purchase on the books for the insurance benefit? I highly doubt this was some hobbyist that bought an ICS saw with a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor.

The place I bought my Sawstop told me they had a guy come in and buy an ICS (don't know if it was 7.5 hp or what) and that he never unpacked it. Couldn't figure out how to get it in his basement. He was trying to convince me I didn't need an ICS - which I knew, I just needed the ICS mobile base. He misunderstood. Anyway, I guess it's more common than you'd think. 

The guy I got my dust collector from had it partially set up but hadn't connected it to any tools, filters were still in the boxes. Then his company transferred him to Philadelphia.  Most of his other tools were quite new Powermatic & the contractor SawStop.

• Like 1

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47