Gaming Table

Coop

I had cut the legs on the bs and taped the off cut back to the leg prior to running it thru the router. Looking back, I think the off cut was what got hung up in the flush trim bit. Regardless, it was sure unexpected. It was the second cut I made, which caused caution on all of the rest. Now I have my big boy panties on and can say I’ve been there. 

Way to go Coop, mortice in the wrong place, I’ve never done that ( well not today anyway) seriously Ken I’m really enjoying following along. Stupid metric system, I thought they made those with good old USA scales now. If I can ever convince my wife a Domino is in my future. Very nice work sir !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks  Brother Dave! This is my second time, other than practice, to use it. The height of the mortise is my biggest challenge. The depth of the cut is pretty straight forward. I have no advise for convincing your bride. Mine was shipped to my office but the cc bill came to the house. It was a simple 15 second confrontation/question,  “what was this for”, but I forget what the heck I told her. I took her to Outback that night instead of Whataburger  and the rest is history. The vibration this thing gives you when drilling the holes is sensational! And the Festool vac ( not included in purchase price) humming in the background leaves absolutely no mess. I’ll have to work 7 more years into retirement but we’ll worth it. 

Seneca makes the Domiplate and they also  make Imperial scaled height step blocks for the Domino. But the plunge depth will still be in metric.  I just use a metric tape measure and a metric ruler for the entire job. Convert the original plan dimensions to metric and then  build the whole job in metric. The numbers may seem weird at first but I find it is easier math and a bit more accurate.  One millimeter is just a tad more than a 1/32. Very few 32nd scales on tape measures and the 1/32 scale on a ruler isn't easy to read. But millimeters being in tenths is easier to count & mark with a marking knife.

I make a guide block with each size bit at all 3 width settings to help with layout work. 

• Like 1

I want to use the Domino to cut the mortises in the aprons to use shop made buttons to attach the top to the frame. For me, it’s a matter of using scrap, the same dimensions as the aprons and cut until I have it right. I’m sure it’s me and I’m missing something, lights on but no one home;)

5 minutes ago, lewisc said:

This is an interesting read on the Domino and it's use in fine furniture https://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/images/art/Getting_most_from_Domino.pdf

Metric isn't that bad. It's getting used to imperial which is the hard part. I'm still confused how someone makes sense of 1/32". I suppose it's what you grew up with.

Dang Lewis, great read but obviously I haven’t had time to go thru the whole thing. But wayyyyyy better than the instructions that came with the machine. Thanks bud, I will print the entire article at work tomorrow. Next time in the states, stop by Houston and we’ll show you a good time. 

• Like 1

The domino works well for cutting slots for the buttons. For this one, I used the widest setting but indexed of the side markings for the cut. That way, it gave me an extra wide slot. I probably made the button slightly to big but it's going across the length of the table so it shouldn't matter for expansion. 

A9D2C3CE-6AD8-4FC6-8A49-7B932AE31FCE.thumb.jpeg.e3e50541667aab74dccbfd3d30dfe49e.jpg

• Like 2

Will do Coop. Thanks for the offer. Although I'm not sure how much traveling will be in the future. We've taken a big holiday every 2 years seeing Europe, Japan and the States since being married. Gotta find time to have some kids at some point. 

10 minutes ago, lewisc said:

Will do Coop. Thanks for the offer. Although I'm not sure how much traveling will be in the future. We've taken a big holiday every 2 years seeing Europe, Japan and the States since being married. Gotta find time to have some kids at some point. 

I checked your horoscope and tonight’s the night:D  Younguns and parents always welcome here. Coop

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

All I no is your doing a great job. I think your lights are running on 100 watts.

You’re too kind but I appreciate the compliment. With the two of the ,afore mentioned mistakes, I felt like the lights were already completely out. But as Chet mentioned, sometimes one should shut it down and go inside and snuggle. Not his exact words but, well taken. 

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You’re too kind but I appreciate the compliment. With the two of the ,afore mentioned mistakes, I felt like the lights were already completely out. But as Chet mentioned, sometimes one should shut it down and go inside and snuggle. Not his exact words but, well taken. 

Chet is right.  To be honest if something isn't going right I have a hard time walking away until its fixed.  Doesn't matter what it is.  When I finely call it a day almost always the next morning things go much better. Sometimes its just some small thing I overlooked  .Drives me crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately I’ve been able to get a little shop time in this last week. All of the walnut base pieces are of final size and shape. I pulled out my limited arsenal of finesse tools and got all of the curves and arches as smooth as possible, followed by a couple of sanding blocks. Then sanded everything thru the grits to 220. 

73529192-2C80-4082-8A8A-16B1185DEC56.thumb.jpeg.dd20f45296e7796dfac91995b46f064c.jpegB6157463-590C-4ACA-ABFF-8D4C6A4F1275.thumb.jpeg.6cbd79a9add6dc3a24871d80be64f080.jpeg

When I was cutting the mortises in the legs with the Domino, I noticed that they intersected, one mortise cutting into the adjoining side and wondered at the time if that was going to creat a problem?  As I dry fitted the legs, aprons and stretchers I realized that it did. So instead of trying to cut a haunch in each tenon, I figured a 45* cut would be just as good.

19294983-92FE-42C9-A6E5-8BDF6E018358.thumb.jpeg.e362c08d7931d361a265e05d17bbff19.jpeg

These were done on the band saw. Now everything fit nicely.

C38BA4B9-B077-4D97-B82E-53453C0A653D.thumb.jpeg.6bff4fe0db5324e7ff25ea9003006e96.jpeg

I postponed the inevitable long enough and got the Titebond out for the real deal. The side sections in clamps.

19569758-AAE0-42C8-AD1F-C256720D6B95.thumb.jpeg.4272e18dd483c1ba469d1a65fd02c5f5.jpeg

The two top sections were glued up resulting in just a small ridge which I knocked down before running it thru the ds.

8DD38AAD-46A5-4387-B72F-9AC708BC95F0.thumb.jpeg.d1ee4db4d1d69e4650b00d453f80de94.jpeg

I wanted to darken the cherry top some prior to applying the finish. So after cutting the 25* bevel on the edges and sanding the top and bottom to 220 and the edges to 400, with no rain in the forecast, I placed it outside on sawhorses prior to leaving for work. When I returned home from work I hade a nice cupped top.84770F5B-A8AD-419F-B81C-20783B800550.thumb.jpeg.9dbe9be61d6150a4ff91de36a197efe2.jpeg

The next day, I did the same thing with the cupped side down and you guessed it, it cupped the other direction. 

• Like 1

Thats some awesome work there Coop, very well done! so when you say it cupped in the other direction, is it straight now? My advice (it's free) would be to put finish on the whole top and set it out in the shade not in the sun, i think it will darken some, and it's going to get darker and more beautiful over time anyway you can't stop it from doing that. It's a great ride my friend, keep up the great work.

• Like 1

I recruited my wife for the final glue up of the base. Had she not been there, I’m not sure Titebond III would have been forgiving enough . No pics of the process as time was critical. All diagonals were within 1/16”. Shocked and impressed. As this is my second project to use the Domino, I feel that  still need

a backup, thus coner bracing was incorporated. 95B9D078-9EAB-4383-B0CD-CC15327C00B2.thumb.jpeg.00c55492b5fa09c433f5ea39eef60005.jpeg

3B7CB546-5D27-4C38-BE17-12D7C167B681.thumb.jpeg.c1da929f12d6589a3c59c2b6c6c69782.jpeg

• Like 1