Gaming Table

Coop

After getting the leg blanks ripped in my yard mill, they were now in manageable size to bring to the bs and was able to sticker them on the closest thing possible. This sucker was in my shop for a new finish per my partner and became convenient. AB9A2616-E7DC-4E78-8438-88D0D163DF3D.thumb.jpeg.5792c338201bb6ac4cd954ccfcda042f.jpeg

They are now a little over 2 1/8” square and resting. Other pieces were cut with the circ saw to 4” widths to later become aprons after resawing them. This stuff is a pleasure to work with and the new Woodslicer bs blade made them look like identical twins, oversized and stickered.

A60CCC91-DD05-4429-AD2A-6D01998A8A0A.thumb.jpeg.601beeffd2cd525a2716b03cb3a94396.jpeg

There will be stretchers cut, resawn and stickered, hopefully tomorrow but doubtful. A neighbor has invited us to a crawfish boil tomorrow and, it ain’t a redhead but it is tempting. Happy Trails! 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, bushwacked said:

You get good mesquite down in H town? We have very little up here and I think the closet good supplier of more than a few board feet I could find was in San Antonio ... 

Actually I’ve never seen it here, aside from my yard. Yeas ago, I had a customer that had a ranch it S. Texas and had mesquite everywhere. In his fenced in sprinkled yard were several mesquite that were much better looking than out in the non-sprinkled. I was so enamored by these things that I came back to Houston and found two trees at a now defunct nursery . One died but the other is my pride and joy. If it ever goes caput, I’ll grill steaks forever over it’s remains. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mat60 said:

I just found your build thread. Going to enjoy seeing your build Coop.  I must admit when I saw all your tools on the ground I was thinking  your going to be sore after that.

Hey Mark! As I don’t have a Festool track thingy or anything comparable, I had to take it to the grass. Using a chalk line, I made several passes on each cut untilI I cut thru. I was very cautious on each pass for binding and was pleasantly surprised at how little binding there was. I attribute this to the guy that milled the log as he went thru 3 blades while slicing it and charged me $75 per hour with no extra for the blades. It’s been a pretty cool trip so far. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lewisc said:

Good looking legs Coop. They should turn out nicely. 

I had to google what a crawfish boil was. I’d never heard of it before.  Just spent 10mins watching a bloke on YouTube making one. 

They're like shrimp, but way more better.

Ive somehow missed this so far. Great progress Ken. This should end up being an amazing piece cherishes forever, 

And btw, I really like Steve's idea of bringing your grandson in on the build for something. At your age, we may need him to finish the journal for us at some point ; )

• Haha 1

Several things here.  Lived in LA for 8 years and miss the crawfish boil but leave sucking the heads to the Cajuns.  Second, the table will be a great project.  Third, I would encourage the boy to get outside once in a while to experience a world that doesn't run on batteries. Fourth, remind him that the table will be an heirloom.  My daughter has two solid walnut end tables that were my mother's.  They were bought about 1960.  Can't remember what happened to the round coffee table and the rectangular coffee table.  They were all solid walnut.

• Like 1

Thanks Ronn. I failed to mention that all of the pieces will be held together with my Father’s Day gift bought a couple of months in advance.  Not a nail one in the whole build!

CA14A365-4F38-439C-86F8-133EF5D71FBC.thumb.jpeg.ac9d72a3701ec981d1c4ee8cdf220b18.jpeg

As the aprons will  be set back in the legs and not centered, I had to convert mm to inches, then back again so all of my mortises will be perfect. I was careful to mark the sides with white pencil and even stuck blue tape on the sides that get the holes. So AFTER cutting my first mortise,  I took a measurement and realized that I had rested the Domino on the wrong face.  Luckily the second one was correct.

A9028C76-9FF7-46F7-A03C-A21894601702.thumb.jpeg.28e28655cb2b9dd3047cccd497c57bf9.jpeg

Steve has mentioned that he has cut his own tenons before so I cut one long grain showing and glued it in. It wasn’t perfect but most of it will be concealed by the apron. After the glue dried, I was admiring my work and realized I had plugged the wrong hole. And mind you, no alcohol was involved, up to this point. So back to my walnut stash and I fashioned another tenon and it turned out a little better. I marked the one that was not to be cut out.

8942AA33-FD38-472F-B891-96C088BD4DA1.thumb.jpeg.8857eefaa4987a264fc024573ffbf205.jpeg

Luckily the height on the Domino was still set and I was able to cut two more..... in the correct spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

After the glue dried, I was admiring my work and realized I had plugged the wrong hole.

Some days you just feel like you are chasing your tail.  Some times it is better to just close the lights and go inside the house.

• Like 2