Gaming Table

Coop

5 minutes ago, fcschoenthal said:

I like the leg design too, but the dimensions that he's giving sound more like a desk.

And we can certainly call it a desk, just going by the dimensions he gave me. I compared it to my dining table and it’s 3/4” shorter in height. Don’t know how tall his chair is. 

This is the moutha that I hope to get the legs, aprons and stretchers from. Approx 7.5’ L x 18”W x 2,.25” thick. 

A61ADA35-0D2A-4DC4-8DF0-7449746B9A08.thumb.jpeg.e70061806e6fdbb57f820eb2dbcdd705.jpeg

I cut this walnut tree down in 2015 in Louisiana and hauled it back to Houston to:have it milled. Been stickered since. I’m amazed at how stable these pieces have been. It’s been a pleasure to work with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve B Anderson said:

That’s going to be an awesome table Ken. I really like the leg design. Did you end up going to Masons for the wood?

Thanks. No, the cherry top came from Clark’s and the walnut is being cut out of the slab pictured. With it being a little over 2” thick, I will be able to get the legs and resaw for the apron and stretchers. 

37 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I've got a feeling it's going to be a classy looking piece.  I think his grandson is getting far more than he expects. 

Thanks Steve. If based solely  on your advice it will but you have to keep in mind who’s building this;)

On 5/12/2018 at 10:26 PM, K Cooper said:

Thanks Mick, wish it involved mesquite!  Love that stuff! 

You get good mesquite down in H town? We have very little up here and I think the closet good supplier of more than a few board feet I could find was in San Antonio ... 

On 5/13/2018 at 10:56 PM, K Cooper said:

Ha! Never thought about that;)! He would probably have been just as tickled with B.B. ply and 2x’s. 

haha, you need to go watch some shaun boyd youtube, makes some really cool things, but has made quite of few projects out of ply as well. a rocker, desk, bench etc ... I will grab a link later today if you havent already found him.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, K Cooper said:

. My first thought was to get a lawn mower and mow yards or get a part time job while going to high school,

This would have been the exact response I would have gotten from my dad.  Love the profile on the pictured table.  Looking forward to the build.

• Like 1

Nice looking shop you have there Ken. The lawn mower will come in useful for flattening that bench top :lol:

On 5/14/2018 at 3:42 AM, K Cooper said:

I drug the slab off of the trailer and over to the sawmill (yard) . The legs will be about 30” long so I cut the slab trim a little under 6’ and with my some chalk and my trusty circ saw, using multiple passes, ripped two 2.5” pieces which will yield 2 legs each. The remaining piece  will be ripped into approx. 3.5” strips to be resawn for the aprons and stretchers. 70DCC1C5-1000-46BF-BD78-F88DF85AFB7A.thumb.jpeg.fbdcdd8fe75d7cd8b1764d1441185e27.jpeg

The approx. 30” end that was cut off cleaned up pretty good and will eventually become the top of a bedroom end table.

22CA7A2D-D5EA-4BFF-ABD0-236CE93AAC54.thumb.jpeg.711d0fc4e5aac233bad97993045bcb60.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

My shop is slowly evolving from being very disorganized to disorganized . 

If you would just up and retire you have the time needed to go from this ^^^ to organized and finally "always" organized.

• Like 1

I have rubber floor mats in front of my workbench and ts and my wife once remarked that I should paint yellow stripes on them like blocked off parking spots in front of a store. I can’t get any respect.