Gaming Table

Coop

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

I like the lightness of the frame. I'm sure it's strong but for me they almost seem too delicate. It's coming along nicely.

I was obsessed with the original leg design and took it from there. Going for a very simple design. We’ll see. 

The only reason I suggested brass screws for the corner braces was because I thought they were for the lower leg spreaders. Progress looks great. 

When I make something like furniture buttons I tend to set up and make a whole bunch of them from scrap. Poplar, maple....whatever is handy. I rarely  drill, sand or dress the spare ones. But cutting the basic form makes finishing off a few for the next project much easier.  

• Like 1

An update with no pics. I have applied 3 coats of ARS gloss on both the base and top. This weekend, I will wipe on a coat of ARS satin on the base and two coats on the top. I’ve sabotaged my wife’s craft building for my finishing room so I can have my shop back for making saw dust. I have a walnut slab that needs to be thinned a tad more for my next project 

• Like 2

Time to attach the top to the base. I haven’t seen it written, but I imagine that since the top boards run left to right, the buttons should allow for expansion. A 1/32 shrimp skewer spacer should be plenty? 

A8440122-CC66-4837-AA9C-B94F394A4CCF.thumb.jpeg.ccf5283dd8f434f434ae655998d1bd27.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

90 % humidity in Houston, what's the humidity in your house ?  Have you got a moisture meter to test your wood ?

It’s been n my wife’s air conditioned craft building since I started applying the finish the last six days or so. 

In that case it may have contracted somewhat. It's not as much temperature as it is humidity but both have an effect. Air dried wood may move more than kiln dried. Kiln dried wood gains some stability( it bakes the resins in the wood or something like that ) . Calculating wood movement depends on so many variables.  Plain sawn moves the most, rift sawn less and quartersawn the least. Finished wood reacts much slower.   I use "Woodshop Widget " ( Marc contributed in its creation) to look up & calculate wood movement.  

It boils down to wood moves crossgrain. The wider the board the more it's gonna move. If you don't allow for it it will circle around & bite you !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

It’s strange how the color of the top changes from different angles.

I've been thinking the same thing since I got the dining table in the house.  It's like those portraits where the eyes are always looking at you no matter where you stand.

Thats a great job Ken, you really did some good work.  Well executed.   

• Like 2