Jointer Blade Help Please

Coyote Jim

Hello!

I recently picked up this used from Offer Up:

IMG_20180414_140301.thumb.jpg.a03a4d2c97653dac71d93ad93470585b.jpg

It is a Grizzly G0654

I know it is not the biggest baddest jointer around but it was a pretty good deal and had very little use. Fits pretty well in my garage.

I got the thing home. Waxed up all the cast iron. I got everything aligned all nice and neat using some scrap pine. I was very happy with this new addition.

That is where things took a bit of a turn for the worst. Have you ever heard the phrase "If it wasn't for the hard way, I would learn nothing at all"? Well, on my very first board of real hardwood, the board had a nail in it. Dinged up the knives pretty good. Now I need to replace the knives. And yes I bought a hand held metal detector that very same day.

The problem is that I have never had a machine like this before and I have no idea what I am looking for. Other than just googling "G0654 Knives" of course.

Do I want High Speed Steel: https://mywoodcutters.com/HSS_Blade_Set_for_Grizzly_Jointer_G0654

Do I want Carbide: https://mywoodcutters.com/Carbide_Blade_Set_for_Grizzly_Jointer_G0654

I am just a hobby woodworker so unfortunately this machine will collect more dust than it will make. I don't think I NEED "super long lasting super amazing knives". I just need something that will do a bit of jointing from time to time.

Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts that would help me?

4 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

Hello!

I recently picked up this used from Offer Up:

IMG_20180414_140301.thumb.jpg.a03a4d2c97653dac71d93ad93470585b.jpg

It is a Grizzly G0654

I know it is not the biggest baddest jointer around but it was a pretty good deal and had very little use. Fits pretty well in my garage.

I got the thing home. Waxed up all the cast iron. I got everything aligned all nice and neat using some scrap pine. I was very happy with this new addition.

That is where things took a bit of a turn for the worst. Have you ever heard the phrase "If it wasn't for the hard way, I would learn nothing at all"? Well, on my very first board of real hardwood, the board had a nail in it. Dinged up the knives pretty good. Now I need to replace the knives. And yes I bought a hand held metal detector that very same day.

The problem is that I have never had a machine like this before and I have no idea what I am looking for. Other than just googling "G0654 Knives" of course.

Do I want High Speed Steel: https://mywoodcutters.com/HSS_Blade_Set_for_Grizzly_Jointer_G0654

Do I want Carbide: https://mywoodcutters.com/Carbide_Blade_Set_for_Grizzly_Jointer_G0654

I am just a hobby woodworker so unfortunately this machine will collect more dust than it will make. I don't think I NEED "super long lasting super amazing knives". I just need something that will do a bit of jointing from time to time.

Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts that would help me?

I'd get a replacement of knives make sure they are the kind that can be resharpened. After you get your new knives save you old ones and either look into sharpening your self or find someone that will do them for you. I've had jointer knives sharpened before and it's not expensive.

http://www.grizzly.com/parts/KNIFE/P0654102

Griz Part

• Thanks 1

Jim - you can save yourself some money if the ding in the blades is a small one. Just shift one of the blades so the dings don't line up. 

Of.course of the nail took out half.the blade, that is another story.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they're wider than 1" wide, PM me your address, and I'll send you a set.   I've had a new set for years, and I have no idea where they came from.   They don't fit my 6" jointer.   I think maybe they were in a box of stuff I bought at an auction, but I've had them for so long that I can't remember exactly.

edited to add:   I think maybe the strange ones I have are wider than 1".  It's been years since I've seen them, but I'm pretty sure I know where they are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

If they're wider than 1" wide, PM me your address, and I'll send you a set.   I've had a new set for years, and I have no idea where they came from.   They don't fit my 6" jointer.   I think maybe they were in a box of stuff I bought at an auction, but I've had them for so long that I can't remember exactly.

edited to add:   I think maybe the strange ones I have are wider than 1".  It's been years since I've seen them, but I'm pretty sure I know where they are.

See, I told ya this was a cool site!  Now you’ve gotta find those darn knives Tom:D

Did you call Grizzly?  They have some pretty good customer service and can probably answer a lot of your questions.  I had a jointer of theirs that was over 20 years old and they were still able to help my with a replacement part.  Even though it wasn't the same as the original they were able to help me make it work.

15 hours ago, Tom King said:

This is so generous Tom! Thank you so much. I will have a loot at their dimensions this even when I am home from the day job.

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Did you call Grizzly?  They have some pretty good customer service and can probably answer a lot of your questions.  I had a jointer of theirs that was over 20 years old and they were still able to help my with a replacement part.  Even though it wasn't the same as the original they were able to help me make it work.

I have not called them. You mean.....they have like....real live people.....who will actually talk to you?!?!?

giphy.gif.9013f616a3141c2dfa7107e2c7710a04.gif

That's pretty rare these days.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, Tom King said:

Mine are under 1". About 5/8". Thanks for the offer though.