Sharpening

Strollo

11 minutes ago, Strollo said:

I have ordered a set of shapton ceramic whetstones and a set of diamond just in case. I have heard that over time diamonds can become clogged unlike whetstones that expose a fresh surface every time they are used. 

Sounds to me like you get to test drive both options and pick the one you like the best.

In the end, you need to find what you like and prefer and then stick to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strollo said:

Not really. I want to keep both but really should return one set once I make my decisions. 

Well, my preference is the Shaptons but, I also keep a coarse diamond plate on hand to flatten the water stones.  

You could get a hundred replies here but, it's very much a personal preference.

Full disclosure I use Shaptons with a CMT diamond plate for flattening but I have used tools sharpened on diamond plates and they work just as well as mine. They just don't have the same high polish that my anal retentive mind likes to see :) 

Ultimately it comes down to resources and preference. As Kev stated above, and bears repeating, pick a process and stick with it. Ultimately my hobby is woodworking not sharpening so I want something that works and gets me back to my project quickly which is also why I use a jig for quick repeatable sharpening. One last piece of advice that I have shared many times on this forum if you haven't already make sure you try a tool sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing that way you will know how they should work.

Depending on the need, I use diamond plates, sandpaper, or oilstones. 

However, once my edges are sharp, some polishing compound on a strop keeps them that way for a loooooong time. I might have to hit a few licks on the oilstone after several hours of actual cutting, but never go back to the diamonds unless I nick the edge or want a different angle.

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I use waterstones on chisels, plane blades & marking knives. I use a set of small diamond paddles to touch up router bits and quickly resharpen xacto knife blades. 

I’ve never thought about sharpening my marking knife. I guesss it’s a visual thing on the angle, as small as it is?